Firewood pricing help please!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbygru

Reaction score
I live in Sussex County (Northwest) NJ.

I'm going to be selling/delivering FULL cords of firewood (split and seasoned hardwood) this Fall and Winter. It's been two or three years since I've sold firewood. Since then I'm sure the price has probably risen considerably, as the price of heating oil has blown through the roof. I'd like to get a feel for what might be an appropriate estimate to sell a full cord of firewood at this Fall. In the past I delivered for about $150 per cord. I've since been told the price is now easily $200 and above. Any ideas out there about what might be reasonable? $200, $250, more?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Bobby

Welcome to the site.

In Western Mass. split and delivered (but not stacked) hardwood is $200.00 per full cord. I would expect New Jersey would command at least a 10% premium, so probably in the $225. range. Easy to find out however, just check the local papers and see what your competition is charging.

200 sounds like a good price, considering the amount of labor and materials one puts into it. some areas are almost double that.

but, as with any alternative fuels, the price has to remain lower than what the utility companies offer or it would be cheaper just to pay them.

Pricing

I would start by gauging what your competitors are selling at. In addition, give serious consideration to limiting your delivery radius if it is included in your price, or charge extra for anything outside that area (with fuel the way it is and is going to be).

I am in western NY and I see most ads here at average of $75/face cord delivered (this past season's prices). This is not an especially affluent area, and I don't know how it compares to yours.

MarkG

$300 a cord for "true hardwood" here in the MKE metro area.

Some are going to a reasonable per cord with a scaled delivery fee or mileage.

Attaching $0.40 cents a round trip mile to about everything I do (over 10 miles) and nobody blinks an eye.

Sounds like your going to get well into the $250 range for your wood.

I am expecting about that same price here near Denver for Douglas Fir.

In CT, a seasoned split cord goes for about $170-$180. In your neck of the woods, you should be able to get $200-$225.

It's a tough high labor, high energy cost, brutal on gear, commodity business Bobby.
Look over your competitors and what they offer and charge: custom fitted to the customer's stove, all high BTU hardwood ( oak, ash, hickory, etc....), guarantee that the wood IS seasoned for winter burning, and of course, that you deliver FULL honest cords. Plenty of people don't want to stack: offer it as an extra by hiring High School ball players .
Then be sure to charge a premium, give them value for the $$$$. Cover your delivery costs within a radius. With oil and gas going into the stratosphere, $300. is not much per cord especially in N.J.
Be sure to start NOW getting customers for fall....ask them what they want.
Get a good solid name for the business ( "Logbutcher Inc." don't work :dizzy: !)
And, you got a good free or low cost source for wood ?

Around here mixed hardwood is $60.00 a 1/3 cord 'U-PickUp'. Mostly Hackeberry, Red Mullberry,Maple and Elm.
Straight run hardwood ( all one kind ) is $75.00 unless it is Locust or Hedge. Then add another $10.00 to cover wear and tear from thorns.

I keep the Pecan, Hickory and fruit wood out of the firewood stacks for people wanting to do summer grilling. These bring a premium at $5 - $8 a cubic foot.

Add $20.00 minimum for delivery per rick within 15 miles.

Don't know what the economy is like there, but here, you can get between $200-$250 a cord. Obviously depending on the wood. If you don't mind a couple of tips:

Be courteous on the phone - You would be suprised how many people think that selling a product gives them a license to be a jerk.:confused:

Show up when you say you will - Lots of guys don't show up when they say they will. :censored: Customers are busy too. Don't be late without calling first.

Treat people like you would treat a friend - you will never run out of customers. Word gets around if you are decent.:clap:

Good Luck and I hope you sell as much as you can cut.
Jesse

Last year I was $300 a cord delivered and stacked. Mind you some of the places are 60 miles one way. I can move over 2 cord at a time so it pays to go that far. This year it will be around $330-$350 a cord. I always keep the customer at the same price for 2 years. After 2 year they get hit with a raise. I have yet to have someone complain. They know the product and the service by then and are happy to pay $10 extra for a 1/3 cord.

Scott

Wow, I'm stunned at the price increase of processed wood! I guess it's due though and once again driven by oil:angry2:

Wow, I'm stunned at the price increase of processed wood! I guess it's due though and once again driven by oil:angry2:

Not the whole picture Steve. Most people look at "getting firewood" as simple and easy without seeing the complete process. Here in Maine it's all around us, seemingly ready to burn. It's a commodity.
Chalk it up to laziness, lack of physical activity, obesity epidemic, and plain ignorance of what other people do to make a living.
$300./cord is still a bargain for CSD (cut/split/delivered) firewood, high fuel prices or not. What's the labor and skill worth ?
JMNSHO:givebeer:

Most of my customers buy 1/3 of a cord (4'x8'x16"). They pay $100-$120 depending on where they are. That one time a year cash outlay is really nothing. I'm sure 75% of them spend more then that on dinner and a movie. I would say over half my customers make well over 100k plus a year. So $100once a year is realy nothing to them.

Scott

Attaching $0.40 cents a round trip mile to about everything I do (over 10 miles) and nobody blinks an eye.

Sounds like your going to get well into the $250 range for your wood.

I am expecting about that same price here near Denver for Douglas Fir.
Something to consider, the IRS mileage deduction rate for business is now $0.55 per mile. Look for it to increase again soon.

I am also struggling with how to price wood that I'm cutting now. I should have about 20 cords of apple wood and would like to get the best price. I would like to sell it all before the end of next winter before it is damaged by insects. Front Range CO yards are getting $425-495 for apple. Sure can't get that price here. If I could sell it all in one semi load, that would be great.

Ct. Firewood Price

Last season I was getting $125 a half cord delivered and dumped.Gonna have to see how the gas prices are come fall to decide if I am going to go up.Around here on the shoreline of CT.last season the going rate per cord was around $225,but I did hear of one guy paying $300 a cord and he bought 2 cord.I only sell about 10-12 cord for extra Christmas money.I always seem to have more customers than wood.Never short anyone give a little extra and word of mouth will be your best advertisement.I hope the pic comes out it shows a half cord on the truck getting ready for delivery.

Most of my customers buy 1/3 of a cord (4'x8'x16"). They pay $100-$120 depending on where they are. That one time a year cash outlay is really nothing. I'm sure 75% of them spend more then that on dinner and a movie. I would say over half my customers make well over 100k plus a year. So $100once a year is realy nothing to them.

Scott

Like the guy said when they asked him why he kept robbing banks: "That's where the money is."

If you can manage to pitch yourself to the rich folks, well, that's where the money is.

Selling things to poor people is just a tough business, no matter what the business.

Right now in the off season $300-350 for oak delivered. Wine country & bay area. 2 weeks before X-mas add up to another $ 100.00 . That was last year so pushin nears $ 500.00 at the top if you got it. 2 years ago more than 1 supplyer ran out.

I did a Internet search to see how much wood would cost me in my area.
A cord of seasoned Pine $405.00 White Birch $545.00!!! This is delivered and and stacked price. I know I can get a cord at a saw mill for $200.00 for pine, but not delivered. Or I can drive the same distance as the saw mill and cut a cord on my firewood permit that costs $5.00 and is good for two cords.Plus I can get poplar for free and Manitoba Maple, from tree services.
If I had to pay for wood other than the $5.00 permit I would heat with gas at about $140.00 for the coldest months.
I use 5/6 cords a year.

Last edited:
Back