Firewood pricing help please!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sold wood last yea around here for 185 delivered and that was being competitive. It's not that high around here. I do alot more work than the other guys around here cause I stack in on the truck to make sure. That is the only way I can accurately sell a cord of wood and feel confident about being a cord or better. I always measure and do the math and make sure to give a little extra . Here is my picture

MVC-002S-1.jpg

MVC-001S-1.jpg

Wow... 200-300 a cord, good money. :jawdrop:

Here in NE CT you can get hardwood cut, split and delivered (dumped not stacked, no one stacks that I know of) for $160. some of the ad's I have seen are trying to charge $180-190 and I always wondered how they got business when the guy in the ad above them sells for $160.

2 years ago when I found myself in a bind I admit to buying 2 cord and I paid $150 each and it ended up being just over 2 cord stacked.

Dave :cheers:

I sold wood last yea around here for 185 delivered and that was being competitive. It's not that high around here. I do alot more work than the other guys around here cause I stack in on the truck to make sure. That is the only way I can accurately sell a cord of wood and feel confident about being a cord or better. I always measure and do the math and make sure to give a little extra . Here is my picture

MVC-002S-1.jpg

MVC-001S-1.jpg

Nice looking truck and nice looking stack in it. Bet you do get alot of business, people like to see that they are getting their moneysworth when it comes like that. The extra effort you put in relates to happy customers I bet.

From Mass the Shoreline

I live near the Mass border, and work on the shoreline 1 night a week. Tree services (3 of them) use my yard as a tree dump site as I live very close to the highway. My splitter, neighbors (I don't sell to them, I give it for free for putting up with the noise), and wife are tolerant. And I mostly do business with work associates. I get $150 for VERY local up to $225 for shoreline (Gas) per cord of hardwood. I only process Apple, Oak, Cherry for sale, and I burn birches (yellow and black), beech, and red maple in my stove.

Never had a complaint, and it's really true, when people can see how much (volume) a real cord of wood is, they are always surprised.

The big question about charging in New Jersey is; what are you using for delivery? I use an old rack body F350. No frills, carburated, timing retarded, barely runs until it's warmed up... Gets great mileage though.

Good luck, just don't run out.

Jason

I have had very good luck selling fire wood. I always had my old customers and a few new ones. I have never had anyone complain about what they got so that must mean something.

Thanks for the compliments on the truck. It has lots of money and time wrapped into it but I love that truck. The old diesel fires up and runs great now that my glow plugs are fixed!

sussex county nj

hello i to live in susex county green twp to be exact on the other side of newton i usually sell about 40 to 50 cords a year.last year i was getting 200.00 a cord easy no problem this year i was told buy the guy that supplies me with my logs it is going to be 300.00 because of the price of oil.i will be around 225 to 250 a cord delivered this year would like to talk to you shoot me a e-mail when you get a chance.

Most folks I hear complaining of firewood @ $200/cord have never processed a cord themselves and if they did they would never say that again :)

Most folks I hear complaining of firewood @ $200/cord have never processed a cord themselves and if they did they would never say that again :)

Absolutely, positively 100% correct. It takes a lot of time and requires a lot of hard work-even with a tractor and a splitter.

price

I try to tell people who complain about the price that they're paying for the work, time, fuel, equipment, etc.; not for the actual wood. It doesn't take much looking to see trees standing or logs laying all over the place- doesn't mean its worth anything where it is. Its not firewood 'till its cut, split and stacked in my yard! BTW- I'm hoping for $200/cord delivered and dumped locally.:(

I really do not think there is alot of money in fire wood when you factor the fallowing:

your labor
gas/diesel to deliver
mix oil and gas for chainsaw
gas for splitter
bar oil
cost of saw splitter and truck
and what ever else

now if you are getting paid to cut the wood and take it away, it probably is worth it big time.. I never was. I just cleared the land for the wood.

The only reason I did it was because money in the winter is nice. Especially seeing Christmas is close and times were usually slow. So the extra money was nice. Plus it gave me a reason to build the body on my truck.

In my area, $200 is the norm right now. But most guys predict that it will reach $250 by the heating season. I also expect that there will be some supply issues, particularly for seasoned wood.

Back