firewood saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what cc class is your main go to firewood saw

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
...a 50-ish cc saw would be a work saver,,so I could do more work,,I mean,,another saw on the shelf wouldn't hurt any thing, really! I aint got no stinkin' CAD or nuthin',,It's just that I would like to save a couple pounds when I'm workin' up fire wood. It'd save on fuel usage too...RIGHT? Huh, fellas, am I right?

Right. My dealer advised me to use the smallest saw that will do the job. Two years later I see many reasons why this is true.

Never put much thought to this but my 026s always go with the help of one of the bigger saws. I have 60cc saws but they don't limb or fell as well as a two saw setup. If I had to advise someone what to use for an all around saw it would be a 60cc for a one saw plan.

40 and 50cc is what i run. don't need anything over 50cc because trees are rarely over 20 inch across but i tell you i have the most fun cutting firewood with my friends 2300 poulan. :smile2:

I grab both the 460 w/20" bar and my 361 w/16" bar. Drop w/ the 460 and limb w/ 361 than buck w/ 460, life is good.:msp_thumbup:

My poor 260_pro just doesn't get used.:msp_unsure:
And I'll let it go soon, Because I just p/u a 660. That's a frigging rush.

When you want the "Best Get A Stihl"

Even Saw Troll owns a Stihl: Nuff said.

When your ready to let go of your 260 pro ill take it off your hands. :msp_thumbup:

I dont have one go to saw yet. I usually use several, different sizes. If I really really had to choose just one, it would be in the 60 cc range, seems the best over all compromise for the wood I cut now. Anything that could run a 16 to a 24 inch bar and not be ridiculous. Talking stock saws with at most a MM and realistic tune.

If I skipped all large trees, and went back to just cutting small standing dead and blow down branches and thinning saplings, like I used to for my firewood with my little 30 cc saws, I could get by easily with my battery saw @ one charge per day, cutting like one inch to twelve inch size wood. I can get a lot of cubic feet of wood in the stacks by cutting a little smaller than most guys would cut. Did it for years, learned that cutting with a 30 inch bowsaw. Added bonus doing it that way, much less splitting and hernia sized big rounds to deal with.

So, chainsawing being loads easier than bowsawing, I would have zero problems doing 4 to 5 cord a year with the oregon saw, not even cutting every day, only cutting a couple days a week. That saw, my fiskars hatchet and fiskars supersplitter, plus a wheelbarow or the garden wagon, could do it all handily. I figured, after a lot of use, learning to use that particular saw correctly (a few test cuts will not give anyone even close to a realistic experience on how to use that saw correctly, it is just different from even a small gas saw), and measurijng what I got, if I really did cut every day, just one battery charge, I could get close to 15 cord a year.

Used to be a 42cc Poulan, now it's a 40cc strato engined GZ4000 clone. So I couldn't vote.

I agree, needed an up to 40 cc option.

I dont have one of those yet, a small redmax or clone, but my little 38 cc poulan s25cva is a wood munching machine! And the poll started at 50ccs....all I know is, it has a 16 inch bar and you can bury it in oak, just bury it, and it keeps pulling.

This forum has a lot of bigger is always better sentiment to it, its a gear head hot rod forum so there ya go, which I dont necessarily agree with, but admit that is just how it is here. Dont get me wrong, I like and appreciate my larger saws, they all have a place, but the smaller saws can get the job done in a lot of cases.

I have no idea what a good saw builder can do with one of these old poulans, but I bet it would rock!

My 064, cause' it's just too much fun!! Anything smaller is a limber.................

I usually grab my 460 Rancher for firewood duty, but I just bought a 576XP AT from my local dealer so I can't wait to start cutting with that!

I'm with Zogger. Most of the bucking up of logs 18"24" gets done with an 039, just because I'm still breaking them in, but the smaller stuff the Poulan SDA25 eats up. I believe a top handle is a must when cutting up firewood, unless all you're doing is rounds.

I dont split so the 026 takes care of 99% of firewood duty. Clearing brush/pruning is done with an 017. The older I get...the lighter the saw. With age comes wisdom...and smaller saws;)

Started with an Stihl 028 then went to a 361 now back down to a 261.

Started with a 45cc saw then moved to a 60cc, still was not happy till I got a 372, now I can not see using anything else except for the smaller stuff which I got a 550 xp for.

Latest posts

Back