firewood saws 346XP NE VS 359 vs 5100S

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get a 346XP and never look back....

Ok people, this has been driving me nuts for weeks. I lay in bed thinking of these saws. I just cut firewood for my own use, mostly hardwood. As far as prices I can buy a 346XP NE and have it shipped to me in Canada cheaper than the 359. The 346 is stupid expensive in Canada ! The 5100s is the cheapest priced of the three however.. price does not matter.
I will have to buy any of these saws with out testing them so your opinions will greatly help me. I know about the muffler thing of the huskys and buying a non cat muffler is no problem. I am not a cookie cutter nor a logger. I just want a saw to quickly and efficiently due my firewood, maple, birch, oak, some spruce.
I know all of these are great saws and opinions very to brand loyality etc...I have searched and read through many threads but still undecided:confused:

Remember i can`t test drive any of these so I am purely going by your reviews.

359 for just one saw out of the 3 that you have listed. 50cc is just 2 small for being your only saw for firewood.

Obviously never ran a NE346xp. That's all I use for my firewood duties. Cutting northeastern hardwoods with ease.It's more than enough saw. Made the 260 Pro I had look totally inferior. The only time I use the 372 is for the really big stuff.

Obviously never ran a NE346xp. That's all I use for my firewood duties. Cutting northeastern hardwoods with ease.It's more than enough saw. Made the 260 Pro I had look totally inferior. The only time I use the 372 is for the really big stuff.

I ran the 346 Ne that my good buddy has and it is far from being a soul firewood saw. In my opinion a firewood saw that is the only saw you have should be able to pull a 24'' bar and the 346 is'nt going to do this in any way shape or form. AND AS FOR THE 260 IT'S THE BEST LIMBING SAW OUT THERE! Sits on its own 2 feet and does'nt burie the chain in the dirt while moving-pulling brush like my buddies 346 does every time that he sets it down to do this. Not to mention that my saw is lighter than his and can outcut him in 8-12'' wood.
:cheers:

That must have been a poorly tuned 346 or your 260 is far from stock. I'd take my 254 over the 346 old or new edition.

I ran the 346 Ne that my good buddy has and it is far from being a soul firewood saw. In my opinion a firewood saw that is the only saw you have should be able to pull a 24'' bar and the 346 is'nt going to do this in any way shape or form. AND AS FOR THE 260 IT'S THE BEST LIMBING SAW OUT THERE! Sits on its own 2 feet and does'nt burie the chain in the dirt while moving-pulling brush like my buddies 346 does every time that he sets it down to do this. Not to mention that my saw is lighter than his and can outcut him in 8-12'' wood.

Something must be wrong with that 346xp, and probably with the operator as well! :greenchainsaw:

That's a laugher!:jester:Yeah the 260 sits better on the ground(mainly because it's shaped like a small cinder block! Ergonomics don't even compare) but saws that are sitting on the ground aren't cutting wood.Truthfully I could care less if you've "ran your buddy's 346". That just kills me when I hear that. I actually OWNED both of these saws and have ran them IN DEPTH! I cut wood for 2 camps and 5 different households. Usually in the neighborhood of 60 to 80 cord per year Everything from standing dead whitewood to bucking up butt ends from logging operations. The only time I find myself needing a saw with a 24" bar is when bucking the butt ends of very large Adirondack hardwoods. That's when I break out the 372. Most people bucking firewood won't be blocking wood this size.

If only saw is all you are going have, I'd go with the 359, I have a couple & like them. If you hang around this site very much you'll want more then one saw, then I'd go with the 346 for now & get a bigger saw later on, like a 365 or 372 or dolmar 7900.

I have no experience with any of the saws listed, this could be good.
If I was going one saw only I would shoot for more than 50cc ( I cut 3/4 of a season with a Wild Thing 42 or 46cc I can't remember). I now use a 56cc saw and have a back up 64cc saw, that I've never put in wood. Most everything I run across is handled easily with the 56cc and 20" bar. The other stuff is still managable for the 56cc, although I've been tempted to break out the 64cc. Just doesn't seem worth the effort of starting another cold saw for 2 or 3 cuts! And yes getting a saw that will pull 24" chain is appealing as well ( I want a 24 but I aint met a tree yet that has urged me to drop the coin ).

So in a nutshell, look at 60cc class saws, oh and look at what size wood you will "normally" be getting into. Why did you limit your options to these 3 saws? Just curious.

Rick

AND AS FOR THE 260 IT'S THE BEST LIMBING SAW OUT THERE! Sits on its own 2 feet and does'nt burie the chain in the dirt while moving-pulling brush like my buddies 346 does every time that he sets it down to do this. Not to mention that my saw is lighter than his and can outcut him in 8-12'' wood.

No possible way. Either the 260 is modded or the 346 is not running right. They're not even close in performance, handling, or filtration. I don't care how much of a Stihl fan you are. Open your eyes and take the blinders off!:greenchainsaw:

For a one saw plan, I vote muffler modded 359. It'll handle a 20" bar fine.

That's a laugher!:jester:Yeah the 260 sits better on the ground(mainly because it's shaped like a small cinder block! Ergonomics don't even compare) but saws that are sitting on the ground aren't cutting wood.Truthfully I could care less if you've "ran your buddy's 346". That just kills me when I hear that. I actually OWNED both of these saws and have ran them IN DEPTH! I cut wood for 2 camps and 5 different households. Usually in the neighborhood of 60 to 80 cord per year Everything from standing dead whitewood to bucking up butt ends from logging operations. The only time I find myself needing a saw with a 24" bar is when bucking the butt ends of very large Adirondack hardwoods. That's when I break out the 372. Most people bucking firewood won't be blocking wood this size.

You simply said that I have not ran the 346 and I replied that I did. Now you say that you could care less if I ran 1. Man, you need to make up your mind buddy. As for the 260 and 346 to each his own!
BTW I could care less how much wood you cut, and you would'nt be cutting much without a 24'' bar around here unless you enjoy picking up sticks and calling it firewood.

I own all three. 5100s is light but a little weak. 346 is light and much stronger. 359 w/ muff mod is a bit heavier but pulls a 20" chain no problem. one saw 359.

I was in the same predicament about 2 months ago. I went to my local dealer here in Canada to buy a 346xp ne and the price he gave me would make you blush. I ended up ordering one from the states, Let me tell you these guys on here know what they are talking about( especially the Troll guy and the Snellerizer ):greenchainsaw:. To say it is a screamer is an understatement. I have owned a 350,353 and a 55 so I am kind of biased towards huskys, but I have used other saws (various stihls, poulans and canadian tire specials), and the huskys just seem to feel right, in my hands. I recently put a 16 sugihara inch bar on mine (came with 18 inch) and a 21lp 66 chain and I havent found anything on my property that it couldnt handle although the trees here in N. Ontario are pecker poles compared to other parts of the country so a 50cc suffices for me . I thought about the 5100s also because it is cheaper but there is no dealer support for them, in my part of the country anyway. Hell I didnt even know there was such a thing as a Dolmar until I came here and lurked for awhile although I have seen Makitas at Canadian Tire.

It's interesting that nobody has recommended a 7900 sofar. I do not have one but what some Aussies and US boys(MCW or BLSnelling) on this site here say about it is quite impressive! Not that much heavier than a 359 but a totally different class of hardware! You also mentioned money is not a problem so why start with the lambs if you can have a wolf! ;)

But non the less you sound very much like the casual homeowner wanting to make some firewood for the winter but not like you have the intention on burning Canadas forests in your furnace. I would recommend starting out with a smaller saw like Dolmar 420 or similar. Some people mention it nipping at the heals of the 50cc class. With a smaller saw it will be much easier to begin your technical proficiency. Don't forget the sharp chain without there is no hope!

I donot intend to hijack your thread by mentioning different products but I believe it is important to be aware of your needs before thinking about the endresult!

BTW there has been some serious complaint here recently about the instability of the 346 on the ground. As far as I recollect BLSnelling was already designing stabalising stands to improve it's inherent center of gravity! ;)

Good luck

Last edited:
I own a 5100 and and two 359's all ported. I have seen both ported and stock 346 and if I were to only have one saw it would be a muffler modded 359 for cutting Canadian hardwood.
They pull a twenty inch bar buried in any hardwood. A 5100 or 346 can do it but your asking alot for an extended period of time.

If you don't plan on muffler modding the 359 then the 346 NE would be my next choice.

Back