firewood saws, older I get the smaller they get, 346xp 357 xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mowoodchopper

Polar Bear
Reaction score
Went and cut firewood today, I usually cut about every weekend during the winter. I cut all dead wood no seasoning , cut it and burn it.
My Father in law also heats with wood, so i cut his wood to, I cut FIL and my boy load. Anyway I used to use 60 plus cc saws mostly, 6400,7900, 6800, dolmars, husky 372, stihl 038 mag, etc. But I have gotten to where all I take are my 346 and 357, both run 18 inch 3/8 bars. I dont feel in the least bit under sawed with these two. They cut anything and everything, hell today i found myself dropping and cutting up a 24 inch tree with a 346. Lighter is better, or Im just old! LOL

Older and smarter...LOL :D

That is the two saws I use more than any others. I just don't need, or want to use larger saws.

Went and cut firewood today, I usually cut about every weekend during the winter. I cut all dead wood no seasoning , cut it and burn it.
My Father in law also heats with wood, so i cut his wood to, I cut FIL and my boy load. Anyway I used to use 60 plus cc saws mostly, 6400,7900, 6800, dolmars, husky 372, stihl 038 mag, etc. But I have gotten to where all I take are my 346 and 357, both run 18 inch 3/8 bars. I dont feel in the least bit under sawed with these two. They cut anything and everything, hell today i found myself dropping and cutting up a 24 inch tree with a 346. Lighter is better, or Im just old! LOL
Heck I cut almost all my firewood in the 80's with a 44 Husky and a 032 Stihl when I lived in Ohio. A lot of the trees were huge.

Hell I'm young and my main saw is a 346xp with an 18" bar and my buds main saw is his 357 with an 18".

Last edited:
Heck I cut almost all my firewood in the 80's with a 44 Husky and a 032 Stihl when I lived in Ohio. A lot of the trees were huge.

same here , the first decent saw we had as a kid was a 024 then 025s , we thought that was all you ever needed to cut wood, then i got older and wanted bigger and bigger, now Im going smaller LOL

Get one of those two saws and you will decide quickly unless you got some big stuff to cut lol. I love runnin my 346 it puts a smile on my face every time I run it :msp_biggrin:

Well I did not cut wood when I was young but I am 61 now and will be 62 before long and ready to retire. I keep myself in shape and work out 3 times a week. I prefer all my saws in the 50 to 60 cc range. They are just easier to maneuver and handle. It is like riding a full dressed Harley to a sportster it is just easier to handle because of the weight.

Less weight=less fatigue

The more you load to go woodcutting, the more you have to unload when it's over. I'm a firewoodcutter and I cut, split, haul and stack in one outing. After doing all that I don't want to mess with any more gear than I have to.

Latest posts

Back