Firewood saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
50cc Dolmar 5100s, 80cc Makita 7901, 90cc Stihl 066RL

Sent from my XT881

McCulloch PM700, Mac 10-10, Husky 372XPW, or for really big stiluff a Stihl 075 in the stable

372xp (old skool) is my Go to saw. with a 20" bar. next is the 7900 with 24"

The 5100 7900 and 660 are always in the truck too, although the MS360 is starting to make a new spot as my favorite little saw...

I like to take my 346xp 357xp 562xp 372xp and my 385xp you can never have too many saws to cut your fire wood with!!!!!!!! :rock:

Most firewood cutters can make do with a good 50cc saw. Most larger saws are rarely a true necessity IMHO. With that said it's fun to run bigger saws.The combination of a small top handle saw, a good 50cc saw and a 70+cc saw is about as good as it can get, for a serous firewood cutter.

I just grab a couple of different saws from the shelf each firewood trip

IMG_5757Medium.jpg

Wood

Picked up a 460 Husqvarna that shoots chips pretty good ...... not like the old 044 but me like!! seems like a good al-a-round saw.

I have a few saws, but mainly use my 044 for everything. The last couple of years I've been having log loads delivered mainly due to economics and the lack of trees in the area. Since I don't have to do any limbing, felling, etc and the trees are fairly consistent in size and specie, I can get by using one saw for everything.

Lately my Husqvarna 340 w/a 16" bar has been getting a lot of firewood use. I think the logs are shrinking...:dizzy:

420 and 7300 Dolmars cut 85% of my wood. The other 15% is just playing, with anything from a Montgomery Wards 2.3 Mini-Mac rebadge to a P-60 Pioneer.

My 5100S is my backup woodcutter. If the 7300 went down, it's big enough to do most of what it does, and it's light enough to cover for the 420 if need be. It hasn't been needed for backup duty, but does get run often enough to keep the gas fresh in it.

346 - always

372 ported / ported 046/ 7900 - I always have one, two or all three

Something 60cc-ish -- 262/036/361 always there, but mostly for fun-z.

125 - usually rides along just to revel in its glory days and to imitidate the bigger trees into submission...sometimes it gets to fell and buck

Most firewood cutters can make do with a good 50cc saw. Most larger saws are rarely a true necessity IMHO. With that said it's fun to run bigger saws.The combination of a small top handle saw, a good 50cc saw and a 70+cc saw is about as good as it can get, for a serous firewood cutter.

I agree. I could get by with just my 346, but I usually have to bring the 372 and 395 along for fun. Ported 372 gets used a bit more than the 395 though....

The time before that, I knew I was cutting where other weekend warriors had already given up, so I knew the wood was going to be decent size and all the small stuff would have already been hauled off. So, I just brought a couple 046's and 066's on that trip.

My 385 comes in handy for the same reasons, people strip the big blow downs of the stuff their saws will handle but they leave these terrific huge trunks behind where all the good wood is at. If they are too fat to roll up the trailer ramp, the saw noodles them quick.

My trip usually consists of a 435, a MS261 and hopefully my 385XP will be ready to rock again soon.

I think I need another 90 cc saw for firewood. This 372 is a little slow through the big wood.:msp_sleep: It would have to be ported also.:laugh:

Latest posts

Back