Firewood Sellers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMG

Reaction score
This is my first post here on this site and let me start by saying thank you to all who share. In just over a week browsing here i have gotten a wealth of information tips and ideas thank you to all! Now my question, last year i bought a bundler and sold a lot of wood, this year i have added cord wood to the mix due to many requests. Do most sellers stack their wood or pile? I stack all my wood for personal use but stacking 20-30 cords seems like alot of work for little return. Thanks for your imput.

That is true.

We just shoot it into a pile with the conveyor or right into the bed of the dump wagon. If we take it from the pile we put a big bin under the wood pile and toss downhill and then crane the bin into the dump trailer. Wish there was a way to penetrate the pile with a mini skid to scoop into the trailer but no luck.

At the delivery....drop it and leave (with the check of course).

This is my first post here on this site and let me start by saying thank you to all who share. In just over a week browsing here i have gotten a wealth of information tips and ideas thank you to all! Now my question, last year i bought a bundler and sold a lot of wood, this year i have added cord wood to the mix due to many requests. Do most sellers stack their wood or pile? I stack all my wood for personal use but stacking 20-30 cords seems like alot of work for little return. Thanks for your imput.

8 foot bed alittle over level = 1 rick 3 rick = 1 cord through in a pile sell by the cord pile...

I don,t sell but will on a pick-up basis only after I have more than the 16 cord needed for my own use over 2 years. 1 dollar per cf or 128 per cord. price is firm no wood leaves till paid for and no wood is left after payment If ther veh will only hall 60cf thats all the money accepted till they return for more,cash only.

dont stack it, measure as a thrown cord = 180 cubic feet

I avoid stacking as much as I can and still get the wood reasonably dry. I dump or throw on pallets preferbly 2 high if I have enough. I will try to cover it when its not wet in the fall. Not all my wood is treated the same and some gets stacked, sometimes in an old barn, when it needs drying in a shorter time.
On my shortbed Isuzu I stack to get a full 1/3 cord. My toyota long bed the 1st row I stack to even with the top of the rear window then throw the rest on filling any large voids as I go and taper the height down to the top of the tailgate and come out with a couple arm loads over 4'x8'x16". Its very easy to stack on the spot when unloading the toyota 2wd so if the customer helps I don't charge xtra. If they don't want it stacked they get the extra armloads free.

My time costs somebody money, whether it is me or them. I'll stack it if they are paying but would rather help them load it on their PU than take mine and unload it.

Down in Westchester NY, you should be stacking that wood, covering it on top too. Tap into some of the zillionaires that live in your area there. They won't want wood thats too wet to burn, that much I can promise you.

Thanks

Thanks for the feed back. I was curious as to how other wood sellers dried their wood other than kiln drying. My bundles are stacked on pallets and tarped until fall.

Thanks for the feed back. I was curious as to how other wood sellers dried their wood other than kiln drying. My bundles are stacked on pallets and tarped until fall.
thats ideal but puts alot more cost involed and depends on the type of wood.
Oak for sure needs stacked

8 foot bed alittle over level = 1 rick 3 rick = 1 cord through in a pile sell by the cord pile...

I know this subject comes up now and again but... define a "RICK" in terms of cubic feet or a defined size. Three ricks sounds like something around 42 or 43 cubic feet (128 cubic feet / 3 rick). In most places it is actually to advertise wood in terms of a "RICK" because of the lack of a defined size.

Stacking and drying:

I stack wood 8 inches off the ground on landscape timbers and cinder blocks. Make one very long pile. Air gets in and around the wood and in Texas it does not take too long to get it dry.

When I sold wood a few years ago, I sold by the truckload. With a 8 foot bed on a 3/4 ton pickup I figured I could get 3/4 of a cord on it and sold that for $100 at the time. A 6 foot bed was around 2/3 of a cord and sold for $75. We threw the wood in the truck but piled it up when delivered, if requested.

I did that so that the buyer could see what he was buying. I have bought wood where a cord was anything from 1/2 cord to a little less than a cord - never a full 128 cubic feet.

I also put a wheelbarrow in front of my place with a full load of wood on it and sold that for $10. We probably sold $2 or $3 thousand dollars of these $10 wheelbarrow loads.

Mine was just a hobby and to pay for my CAD. Too much like work for it to be anythign but a hobby.

Hal

Last edited:
well i dont stack just cuz i always smash my hand real good but my 61 year old grandfather does it but then he does have a lot of patience. he likes to stack to ensure the customer gets a FULL cord some people that we have delivered to couldnt believe that much wood was in a cord and were pretty mad at their previous woodsmen. in the end it may take a while but for me i feel good knowing i sold them a good cord of wood.:jester:

well i dont stack just cuz i always smash my hand real good but my 61 year old grandfather does it but then he does have a lot of patience. he likes to stack to ensure the customer gets a FULL cord some people that we have delivered to couldnt believe that much wood was in a cord and were pretty mad at their previous woodsmen. in the end it may take a while but for me i feel good knowing i sold them a good cord of wood.:jester:

I have seen a "whole cord" sold in part of a 6 foot bed believe it or not. A whole measured cord is a heaped load in my dump trailer.
attachment.php

I have seen a "whole cord" sold in part of a 6 foot bed believe it or not. A whole measured cord is a heaped load in my dump trailer.
attachment.php

well i set up racks(3) next to the highway that measure 4'x4'x8' so people see what they are getting

Latest posts

Back