firewood space?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
For those of you who sell wood, I'd like to know how much space you actually use between storage of unprocessed logs, processing area, and then storage for the wood... please include yearly volume sales.

There is a place down the road from me that sells wood. I don't know how much they sell or were they get it but they have about 3 acres and a couple of buildings.

The wood is not stacked or anything, just piled off and old conveyor to probably 40' high.

I just found them on CL this week and they want about $200 a cord for wood. I have never seen any trucks going in or out of the place so I have no idea about the volumes.

I'm not in the business, but like an occasional math problem, and doing a little BAD (beer aided design) after a week of work.

1 acre (for those of you who don't know, 1 acre is 43,580 sq ft), lets say stacking at 50% open space (thinking row, walkspace, row, etc., for airflow and ease of moving wood in/out) stacked 4' high would get you about 680 full cords on that space.

Storage area for logs, a processing area, and room to work are what will take up the space. My loader tractor will turn around in about 30' without dragging the brakes. Double that area, to make life a little easier, and you'd want 60' between log stacks and the processor. Add space for a small maintenance shed/break room/office, parking for vehicles and equipment, maybe some fuel storage, etc., and I think about 3 acres of wide open space would do nicely, more if you want to stockpile a ton of logs if you get a bargain on them.

Conversely, I have about 3 acres where I block, split, and stack often. I have a bunch of bigger log sections laying around taking up space that need to be cut, 2 or 3 nice brushpiles waiting for a nice day to torch them, and basically a lot of wasted space, but it's nice to be able to walk out the door and a few steps to test a saw I've been tinkering with. Remember, nature abhors a vacuum, and any empty space quickly gets filled with something!

Latest posts

Back