firewood stolen

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tocold4u2

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i had a buddy call me the other day , and asked me if i wanted a few trees that he knocked down , with a hoe , i told him yup (with no hestitation") as i always do. he said that there is around 5 loads (monday) i go up and look at the trees to see what kind and all. 5 loads my butt:hmm3grin2orange: more like 15 loads . the trees were big, so today i go up and someone took around 3/4 of the wood there , cut them up in sections and hauled them away on a trailer,:angry2: well tomorrow i`ll be there bright and earily ,,and cutting till dark,:deadhorse: rain or shine:hmm3grin2orange:
only 2 of the trees we`re left whole, the others we`re all gone but the larger ends 3-4' across. i`m the only one that`s suppose to be there , that`s what makes me so mad . well i`ll be there tomorrow with my 2 trusty saws and 6 new chains and 3 stand-by re-sharpen chains;)
has anyone have this happen to them before ??

Yup, you would be amazed at people, I used to get a call from my tree buddy and he would give me a list of jobs they just did and leave the oak logs right there and I would make my way around later in the afternoon and fill up my truck, some times the wood would be taken right out of someones yard within the hour! :cry: My buddy has had neighbors come over while they were doing the tree work and just start taking the wood after my buddy had made arangemnts with the homeowner to keep the logs, the neighbors got all mad and said the homeowner told them "they could have the logs" and later in the day when my buddy phoned the homeowners who were at their other home an hour away, let them know that the work was done he also them know that the nieghbors took the wood and the homeonwers laughed and said they havne't talked to those people in over a year!!! Imagine the nerve of people to lie and steal right in front of you. I feel for you bro, go get whats left bright and early.

yanno i`ve always considered wood left by the curb to be fair game, so have my friends but of course we always ask whoever lives there anyway, hell i`m usually thanked for taking wood away.

yanno i`ve always considered wood left by the curb to be fair game, so have my friends but of course we always ask whoever lives there anyway, hell i`m usually thanked for taking wood away.

well wood 100-200 yds off the road isn`t curbside, and it`s not fair game it`s tresspassig, even if it is on a curb:bang: well i guess instead of the farmers hearing the roosters crowing they will hear the stihl crowing:laugh:
ok i`ll wait till after the roosters crow. i wish i had a big low-boy trailer and a large backhoe i`d take everything that`s left there and bring it home to cut it up. but i can get a mean stack of wood on my 3/4 ford 7.3 4x4 and a 1/2 ton truck bed trailer :D hopefully the rain holds off for awhile

I've had wood stolen from the landing on my woodlot where I cut it all and stack it to season. I've also had a bunch of college punks having bonfires there, using my woodpile as fuel! They are usually drinking underage...the state police have gotten used to my calls late on weekend nights. Too bad they just won't patrol the area like I asked them to (it's private property).

To get to my woodlot, you need to drive about 1/2 mile off the paved road, past a few houses on the dirt road, find a place to park in the woods, and climb over/under the steel cable I placed across the entry to my landing. You'd think some people would take the hint, but they don't.

Last fall I dropped 4 nice oaks at the far end of a field where it seemed noone could ever find them. Well the ground conditions never got right to get back to them again so I let them sit. Spring rolls around and I got busy at work and when it was time to plant the fields I was to busy to get to wood. The farmer pushed it into a pile just inside the wood line so I could get it later on. Well harvest comes around and farmer had decided to clear fence row out so I talked to the excavator operator and tell him bout my wood and he says he may have already been to it and it was burnt already but he would check it out. Later that day I see the hoe operators brother drive by work with a ton truck and a massive trailer he normally uses to haul scrap iron so I thought nothing of it. Well day or two later I run across the guy and he tells me he was sorry He must have piled the wood on accident and it was gone. I said it was over 5 chords of wood there was no way he could have missed it but he said he was sorry and that was the end of it. Then what really pissed me off was a co-worker of mine who lives near this field said he had saw a ton truck and trailer go by and he was loaded with wood just couple days before......Guess next time I dont let the wood sit so long huh?

Seems that some people consider anything not tied down with a lock and chain to be theirs.

We had a storm the first year living rural here, tree fell across the road, I cut enough for the sheriff to push to the side so traffic could get through, 1am weekday. I go to work, come home, all the straight stuff is gone, I'm like wtf?, my tree, my property, so I drive down the adjacent dead end lane, here's my wood in the neighbors yard. Called him out on it, asked him if he considered even asking if I might want it, since it was my sweat, fuel and stuff. He brought it all over and put where I wanted it with his skidsteer.

That set the pace for any stick, limb anything along my property line, words out, don't touch his wood, he'll hunt you down.

After that I inquired with the county as far as ownership, public/county property is 30' from the centerline of a county road, 15' on a town rd. The wood is up for grabs the minute it hits the ground, even 20' up your lawn.

Just remember, they will get there's, in the end.

Maybe I'll come take your truck when you leave it on the curb, fair game , eh?:hmm3grin2orange:

I cut firewood ( eucalyptus ) out of town on a heavily timbered 700 acre block, Two other fella's also cut a bit in there and we drop several reasonable sized trees each ( usually abt 100 footers 3 - 4 1/2ft at the butt ) which are dead then block them up and leave them for another 12 - 18 months to season, we know who has dropped what by the type of scarf and back cut, and it is an unwritten law that we do not touch the other cutters timber, any of us can be around the property from sun up till sun down at various times, so not worth it - otherwise accidents could happen - i think we all carry firearms and know how to use them. I had a small amount go walkies one time, however the locals know to keep well away now as words at the local pub on what can happen does wonders. We haven't had any go missing for a long time and we usually have 200 - 300 tons blocked up and sitting at any one time
Rooshooter. . . . . (+)

My father caught some guys stealing pine straw on his neighbor's back 40 once (yep, pine straw bales are money in Georgia) He told them that he target practices on a routine basis and they were doing their business right behind his backstop. They hauled butt, never to be seen again.

Ian

Hey Ian, Much the same where i cut - however the three of us all do a bit of hunting as well, we see quite a few wild pig also some fallow deer. The locals have been told we hunt and have also been told they could easily be mistaken for an animal in the thick timber.
Rooshooter .......
(+)

I've had wood stolen from the landing on my woodlot where I cut it all and stack it to season. I've also had a bunch of college punks having bonfires there, using my woodpile as fuel! They are usually drinking underage...the state police have gotten used to my calls late on weekend nights. Too bad they just won't patrol the area like I asked them to (it's private property).

To get to my woodlot, you need to drive about 1/2 mile off the paved road, past a few houses on the dirt road, find a place to park in the woods, and climb over/under the steel cable I placed across the entry to my landing. You'd think some people would take the hint, but they don't.
so your the guy that always called the cops on us!!!!!..just kid"in

After six months of haggling, begging and pleading I finally got permission from a farmer to salvage trees from a 5 acre 'bush' that a wild fire had killed. Conditions were 'sign a hold harmless, clean up everything, burn all brush' Worked one season on it leaving a very neat and clean area with severy very obvious burn piles. Next seaon, first trip, I find that some dip had cut out two trees, left one lay as the butt was rotten, left all his 'limbings' where they fell from the other. Thus I had several hours just cleaning up his mess before I could begin on my planned work.

A slob thief for sure.

I didn't have much faith in it working but I posted several signs warning that a 'theft report' had been filed with the sheriff and if anyone was caught they would be arrested. No further problems in the ensueing 5 years...well other than the slobs who think it is a county dump.

Harry K

well with the major downpour i was still able to get some wood, although i had to carry some of it 30 yds to the trailer:deadhorse: , i did manage to sling mud all over the truck ,:hmm3grin2orange: , i know that there was a load , because it looked like i had 2 flat tires:blob2: i hear a storm moving in twards ohio on monday , so i`m not sure if i`ll go out and cut tomorrow,,i guess i`ll wait and see;)

I just talked to my buddy who works at the local stove shop and he said that someone had stolen most of their seasoned wood that they use to burn in their display model. That's pretty low to drive up behind the shop and "help yourself" to it. :mad:

i had a truck drive by 4 times yesterday watching me cut wood:biggrinbounce2: i just got the feeling it was the one taking the wood.
some people will see cut wood and take it cause it`s easy to load . that`s why i try not to leave any logs cut when i leave a area . i only cut what i can haul:biggrinbounce2:

i had a truck drive by 4 times yesterday watching me cut wood:biggrinbounce2: i just got the feeling it was the one taking the wood.
some people will see cut wood and take it cause it`s easy to load . that`s why i try not to leave any logs cut when i leave a area . i only cut what i can haul:biggrinbounce2:

Oh yeah! I will cut more than I will haul but it will be in big rounds that have to be split to load. I figure most theives are too lazy to actually do some work in order to steal. Has worked so far. Another way is to cut however far you want to go but don't cut the rounds all the way through.

Of course there are thieves with saws and splitting equipment so those won't always work.

Harry K

This takes the cake

We own a small woodlot that borders a county road. I've had people actually stop when I've been cutting wood on my own property and tell me I'm taking their wood and they have permission from the owner to cut there.
When I tell them I am the owner and they sure as heck don't have permission to cut they usually don't hang around and help..

Unbelievable...

We own a small woodlot that borders a county road. I've had people actually stop when I've been cutting wood on my own property and tell me I'm taking their wood and they have permission from the owner to cut there.
When I tell them I am the owner and they sure as heck don't have permission to cut they usually don't hang around and help..

I can't believe how people can stand there and tell a flat-out lie to you, the owner of the property, without thinking that they're doing anything wrong. Guess some people just don't care. You're right-this does "take the cake". :mad:

Back