Firewood Storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J3 Driver

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm thinking about building something for firewood storage and am looking for ideas.

What all do you guys use. I'm thinking about something like this but think it might be overkill.

76a16b555ba0573faf8d1146656ef591.png

When we built our house I had some white oak trees milled into 8x8 posts and 5/4 boards. I'd be using them for most of it and some recycled tin for the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. If I didn't already have the lumber I wouldn't be thinking about it.

I guess you gotta ask yourself how much wood you use each winter. Couple that with cycling through seasoned wood and unseasoned wood. Are you going to build the shed large enough to accommodate your usage in comparison to being able to rotate seasoned and unseasoned wood.

type "wood shed" and "firewood storage" into the search box.....

I'm more of a put it on pallets and cover kind of guy but if I were building any type of woodshed, I would build it high enough where I wouldn't have to duck down at all. So many I see aren't built for much more than a midget.

I'm thinking about building something for firewood storage and am looking for ideas.

What all do you guys use. I'm thinking about something like this but think it might be overkill.

When we built our house I had some white oak trees milled into 8x8 posts and 5/4 boards. I'd be using them for most of it and some recycled tin for the roof.

If you have the time, energy, and $ resources to have a finely constructed woodshed.... Do it!
When I see this design and think snow/sleet/rain/ I say to myself.... Self, what keeps the wood on the outside row from getting wet and snow covered? I keep my wood dry. . I don't want snow and ice melting in my house next toy wood burner.

Barn Outside Picture.JPG Well, if you think that's overkill, I'm not sure what you'll think of mine. The overhangs are 6' off the ground, and I can get tarps that width to hang down if I need them to keep snow off. Yours isn't overkill, especially if you already have the materials to do it.

I just stack my firewood.
I do stack it on old vinyl siding laid on the ground for a moisture barrier... but never cover it... some of it sat that way for years without any problem.
However, I have room in the basement to put the seasons worth down there in late fall/early winter so it is out'a the weather during the heating season.

aStacks_2012-05_4.JPG aStacks_2012-02_3.JPG bStacks_2011-10_1.JPG bStacks_2012-02_1.JPG

I do stack it on old vinyl siding laid on the ground for a moisture barrier... but never cover it... some of it sat that way for years without any problem.
However, I have room in the basement to put the seasons worth down there in late fall/early winter so it is out'a the weather during the heating season.

View attachment 535214 View attachment 535215 View attachment 535216 View attachment 535217

Every time I see pictures of your stacks, I'm in awe.
Those are almost a work of art.

Every time I see pictures of your stacks, I'm in awe.
Those are almost a work of art.
LOL - Thanks.
Yeah... well, those stacks are extinct now, I just put the last of it in the basement a week or so ago.
I've got maybe 1¼ cord in the basement... I'm short, damn short, and none stacked outside in reserve.
I've been building a different van for the wife to drive (basically, making one from two) and should have that done this weekend.
There's about a dozen standing-dead elm just 100 yards or so from my front porch... I need to get busy with the saw.
Worst case, I can be cuttin' them right on into winter... so there is a sort'a reserve supply, just requires a bit of gumption.

Here is my answer for a cheap shed, shed is about half full, left over from last year. 1104161741.jpg
backside, 1104161742.jpg

and pile that will be stack under shed later this fall for use next year 1104161744.jpg
Wood in Pile is 80%-90% whiteoak and was cut last Dec and split early spring. I like being able to just back up to the shed and load my gator for hauling to the house and this enables me to rotate seasoned wood by just loading out of the opposite end the next winter and replacing the burnt wood with newer splits, I can sort of keep ahead with 2year old seasoned wood most of the time. Due to knee surgery, I havent been able to harvest any for the 2018 season.

View attachment 535214 View attachment 535215 View attachment 535216 View attachment 535217

Truth be told, seeing your pictures is what motivated me to go back to stacking.

Truth be told. . . the colder the elm the better/easier it splits. No fiber strings pulling and dragging at the wedge goes thru the wood. . . splits like straight grained oak or maple when it's 15 degrees outside.
And if those elm are dead....chances are when your break them open you will find all kinds of big fat white grubs that are excellent for frozen water fishing. The ones I find are 1/2-3/4" thick and 1-2" long. . . if outdoors is not your game put an ad on craigslist and your will find buyer/eaters of the little critters. . . i think they are actually used in Szechuan dishes

The way I store wood is on pallets and cover it with plastic truck bed liners I get free from local linex and rhino liner dealers.
At one point we had 54 pallets in 4 rows and 6ft tall.

Was up at my neighbors yesterday and saw this pallet. He's going to try to keep me some next summer when he gets his lumber shipments. They will be perfect for building something to store firewood. 3 feet wide by 16 feet long.

3bed46d200418d185cfb162f293a06c1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Was up at my neighbors yesterday and saw this pallet. He's going to try to keep me some next summer when he gets his lumber shipments. They will be perfect for building something to store firewood. 3 feet wide by 16 feet long.

3bed46d200418d185cfb162f293a06c1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Now that is a f'in pallet!

I built that thing's little brother a few months ago:
IMG_20161031_173323.jpg

Holds about 2/3 cord for easy access near the back door.

Unlike yours, it has raised rails instead of a floor. Less weight and material, and more airflow. They go together like this:

IMG_20161030_155703.jpg

Loads up just fine without a floor:

photo65089211919869995.jpg

I used a shingle roof instead of metal, but that's just because I had a bundle of shingles lying around. Like you, I designed around the materials I had at hand; you can see that the posts are reclaimed.

Attachments

• IMG_20161030_154359.jpg
    IMG_20161030_154359.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back