Firewood stumpage price

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjp

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Just wondering what people are paying for standing firewood?

Hello everyone. Just wondering what people are paying for standing firewood?

"Standing fire wood"?" if your talking trees, standing trees, that AINT fire wood!!

Fire wood is the result of hard manual labor, processed from trees. Whether standing or on the ground.

I've never paid anything for it and won't, unless it's to leave the land owner a truckload every now and again as a "thanks".

$25-$30/cord is what I've seen in this area.

Seems about right. By the time it's cut to 12' logs, skidded out, and delivered to your house it's up to $100/cord.

Bucked up and split you're now at $180.

Letting it sit for a year will get it up to $200-240ish. Firewood prices seem a bit softer then a few years ago when I would've said $225-250ish in my area for top notch firewood.

Last edited:
I can tell you around here: Hull offered my aunt $5/cord for the tops and butts left from the sawlogs they took off her wood lot. It was going to be firewood, though I don't know if they were planning on reselling it as log length or cordwood.

"Standing fire wood"?" if your talking trees, standing trees, that AINT fire wood!!

Fire wood is the result of hard manual labor, processed from trees. Whether standing or on the ground.

I've never paid anything for it and won't, unless it's to leave the land owner a truckload every now and again as a "thanks".

Ditto!

I'm well aware the labor involved with firewood. What I meant was firewood grade, no sawlog value, but after your lecture I think you knew that from the start. I appreciate everyone else's valuable input

I think it is one of those depends on where your located type of things . Firewood commands a higher price in New England than alot of other areas . I have a permit to cut on Regional Water Authority property . It costs me $25 a cord the first 10 cord and $12 a cord after that . It is worth it to me because my woodlot is a mile away from my house . But when I get the opportunity to buy logs at a $100 a cord or under delivered I will . What works for a guy like me with just a Pickup truck to move wood and what works for a guy who has something that can haul alot of wood per trip are two different things . Just because it won't work for one guy doesn't mean it won't work for you . You just have to figure out what it is going to cost you to turn that tree into firewood . Transport costs are the killer .

I would never pay for standing trees. Will cleanup tops for free and pay a small amount for bucked logs. This is all assuming it is good hardwood too.

What is the F.O.B. on a cord of hardwood in the N.E. area?

I've been cuttting and using since 1976. Couple times I was debating offering stumpage to get some cutting rights but things worked out so I didn't have to.

I did pay a guy $100 summer before last for a share in hiring a tree service to down a hazard tree but that was more as a "friend" helping out a guy going through chemo who had enough to worry about without straining to pay a bill. Besides I had aleady havested some 15 cord of locust off his place over the years :)

Harry K

I'm well aware the labor involved with firewood. What I meant was firewood grade, no sawlog value, but after your lecture I think you knew that from the start. I appreciate everyone else's valuable input

Just so you know, you'll get a lecture every now and again from the experts, just to prove their superiority. Sorry, it comes with the territory. You can mostly just disregard it. There's plenty of folks on here who will just answer your question.

Just so you know, you'll get a lecture every now and again from the experts, just to prove their superiority. Sorry, it comes with the territory. You can mostly just disregard it. There's plenty of folks on here who will just answer your question.

Thanks, I know what you mean. It is a great site and many helpful people

Thanks, I know what you mean. It is a great site and many helpful people

Welcome to AS. Mac88 said it right...there's a lot more helpful people on here than the other kind. Sometimes it just takes longer for the helpful ones to show up.

Some members seem to think that it's open season on newbies. They forget that they probably asked the same questions that they're slamming other people for.

Stick around. This is a good place. Mostly.

thanks for the replys everyone. From the sounds it i wont pay more than 20 to 30 dollars per cord. I am surprised what other areas are getting for seasoned firewood. Around here 250 is average, and this month and next, seasoned wood is going as high 350 per cord. At those prices i can afford to pay a few bucks for it.

old vermont stumpage price report from uvm is fubar. that's too bad.

this report replaces it

and this for NYS

and usfs national stumpage stuff

timber sales may (usually) include standing culls under 12"dbh as pulp & firewood cord counts or just firewood counts. bear in mind cord counts in the sales are some high numbers and logging equipment is already there for saw logs. unless it is just cull thinning.

Hey Sorry, kjp

What I meant was firewood grade, no sawlog value, but after your lecture I think you knew that from the start. ,,,,,,NO I DIDN'T!!!

Hey no kidding!

I've never heard of "stumpage" or paying for standing trees, other than the permit fees I've read about on this wonderful site. I certainly did not intend to come off being an azz-hole, nor lecture any one.
I actually thought some one was trying to take advantage of you. Again,,,sorry for coming off as a "rick on a stick".
Heck, I certainly/obviously aint an expert on the subject. Around these parts agricultural fence lines and wood lots have most always been a bounty for us "fire wood" hacks to access free fire wood with occasional truck load left for the land owner. At the most, a "split" with the land owner, something along the lines of cut 3 or 4 and leave one.
I hope this clears the air between you an' me and any others who thought I came off being an azz-hole.

Peace, man. Dohn

avg price around me for standing oak, firewood/pulp grade is $25/cord

sensible question and i was curious to see the regional differences

A standing tree is worth -$150 before you start on an easy drop.
If it contains 1 full cord of wood then it's about a break even adventure.
Cutting bigger than 1 cord trees in general just means starting with a bigger break even point.

When customers ask me what firewood is worth in a tree that's what i let them know.
Most times fuel and labor cost exceed wood return $.

Very little $ difference if a trailor goes home empty of full of wood.
Full of wood just makes for work on rainy days.

When you think about a full truck log delivery firewood grade prices it breaks down to $20-$40 a tree delivered ready to cut and split.
Gas just to go get and return each tree is more than that.

Last edited:
Back