firewood trailer recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robespierre

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I wanted to buy a used trailer to tow behind my car. I don't think I will need a hydraulic dump trailer. I try to gather about 10 cords a year and pick up rounds from tree service companies or cut them myself in the field.Any good size trailer or Brands that I should look into. Feel free to post pictures of your trailers and let me know pros and cons. I am looking to spend about $2-3k for a used one off of CL.
Many Thanks

The "car" is a Lexus RX470 4wd sorry for being unclear.You think that I should look into a hydraulic trailer for 2-3k?

I use a homemade 16' long dual axle trailer. I spilit the big stuff before fi load it up, so once im home i can just stack it and not have to handle it anymore. If i just dumped it i would run out of room.

For that amount of wood you could just buy a pickup bed trailer. Buy them for 300-400 in nice shape. Put racks on if you need it higher. Or spend 2-3k on an older used pickup.

You are in Cali...it might be a little more $ to come across a nice , small used dump...but they are out their.

I have a BLaw that pulls a 6x12 dump he paid $2,500 for that has been real back saver.... He also pulls it with a 6 banger Ford Explorer.. I'm just saying if you're doing a dedicated wood trailer make it a dump. Loading wood sucks but unloading is worse!

Maybe something like this would work. I know it's more than you want to pay, but it's new. 2014 5 x 10 Dump Trailer - $3975 (Merrill)
00z0z_8vEx3D2es4L_600x450.jpg

New 5' X 10' Nova Dump Trailer
-16" Tall Sides -11 Gauge All Around
-Power Up & Power Down -LED Lights
-3 Way Tail Gate -Deep Cycle Battery Included
-5,200# Axle
-$3,975

Or one of those army m101 trailers like in the other thread. They seem a nice compromise over stoutness/ability to haul wood, and compactness. I know double axles pull nicer, but cost more, too.

What about single axles vs tandem? It seems like you would overload the single axle before you had it filled up with wood. Or maybe I misunderstanding how the the axle rating.works.

I have a Honda crv .......and it actually tows a bigger trailer and handle a bigger load than one might think...and safely too !! But a big firewood trailer behind a mid-sized SUV.....not really ideal . You wanna pull the trailer...not have the trailer push you :) I agree with the old pickup ideas . Something that a fella can still get parts for and work on !! You could do it with the Lexus...but it would break it down quick I think ... pulling a good sized trailer alot . Just my opinion...as I have had trucks and SUV's...and tried to do it all with both !!

I agree with pickup. I bought a 84 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 last year for $600 and drove it home. Nice thing about a old ugly truck your beating your everyday driver.

http://lansing.craigslist.org/grq/4249474024.html

HD HOME OWNNER DUMP TRAILER. TUBE FRAME,3500LB AXLE, 2000 LB DUMP CAPACITY, RAMPS, POWDER COAT FINNISH,EASY LOADING LOW PROFILE ,45 DEGREE DUMP ANGLE,POWER UP &POWER DOWN,TOUNGE JACK AND DOT LIGHTING ,PRICING GOOD THRU JAN. 31ST

Oh haha. That's about a $7K trailer pictured in the ad. Those $2.5K dump trailers are like for a lawnmower with a high speed axle.

Xskier, haha nice.
I would love to have one but they are too big for my tow vehicle, and more money than i have to spend on a trailer... But that is shady about the CL add. :/

Latest posts

Back