firewood trailer recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GeeVee

GeeVee

East Coast Champion
. AS Supporting Member.
2-3 k ought to get you a decent used 6x12 dump tandem axle 10k capa.... Maybe. But do you need it?

With the Lexus, you dont need the 10k. but you dont have to load it to the brim either. With any trailer, and wood, you generally run out of weight capacity abou the time it starts running out of space capacity.

I wonder do you want a big trailer in your driveway or side yard?

I believe you can get a new 6x12 open trailer snigle axle 3500 pound, with ramp gate for 1k that will do you well. Spend a bit more and have a 5k axle, with brakes. Then you have extra money for a few accesories. Maybe a little winch for the random logs. A super duty hand truck, log rite, pickaroon, SAWS, etc....

Even a 5x10 with a bigger axle and brakes would do for the scrounging you do.

Better the smaller open trailer you can jog around in your yard by hand than a dumper you can't move by hand. Plus the sheer size in your suburban home might be a reason to buy an open Lawn Daryl trailer instead of the cats ass. The lawn trailer will have a much lower load height you might appreciate too. Sure a 5X10 dump would be NIIIICE, but there will be trade-offs. Get an open one and see what it won;t do for you, then if needed move up.

upsnake

upsnake

ArboristSite Operative
One thing with the truck vs trailer at least in MI.
Trailer one time permanent plate of ~100 bucks.
Truck - Year registration of 100 and insurance Min 600 yearly.

A couple years into owning the truck and you could have bought a really nice trailer. I agree a dump is overkill. I just have a little 5x8 single axle utility trailer. While i would like to have something bigger it does move stuff around. I can get a about a face cord in it.

blackdogon57

blackdogon57

Addicted to ArboristSite
One thing with the truck vs trailer at least in MI.
Trailer one time permanent plate of ~100 bucks.
Truck - Year registration of 100 and insurance Min 600 yearly.

A couple years into owning the truck and you could have bought a really nice trailer. I agree a dump is overkill. I just have a little 5x8 single axle utility trailer. While i would like to have something bigger it does move stuff around. I can get a about a face cord in it.
Insurance is killer here. I pay 900 per year for liability only on my 2002 dodge 2500. $300 per year for commercial registration that allows me to legally haul firewood to customers. Both truck and trailer need a yearly safety. Come to think of it I'm not sure why I even bother selling wood !

farmer steve

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
. AS Supporting Member.
Insurance is killer here. I pay 900 per year for liability only on my 2002 dodge 2500. $300 per year for commercial registration that allows me to legally haul firewood to customers. Both truck and trailer need a yearly safety. Come to think of it I'm not sure why I even bother selling wood !
like the rest of us firewood sellers ,your a glutton for punishment.:laugh:

luckydozenfarm

luckydozenfarm

THE MAN OF STIHL
Well I started out with a 16' car hauler (with fabbed up plywood sides) and it worked great for hauling wood...until it came to unloading the trailer..it was a 7k trailer and I would say it would haul just under 2 cords comfortably behind a 1/2 ton truck. Before buying ANY equipment I always try to see if I can adapt the equip to other tasks other than for wood. Like I used the car hauler at my mechanic shop to haul customer's cars to and from the shop. I have since sold the car hauler and now I have a dump trailer for firewood. That trailer also sees duty in the corn fields hauling corn to the elevator. I've always said there is two ways to screw up your equipment....use it too roughly or not use it often enough and it sits for months. See if you can adapt your trailer, truck or whatever you decide to get to another task other than wood.

GeeVee

GeeVee

East Coast Champion
. AS Supporting Member.
Yeah, A second Beater truck would be okay-ish for haulin wood, but a couple of things happen with a vehicle vs. trailer.
1. Can't help your sister in law move for the sixth relationship.... Her stuff can't be hauled in a trashy pick-up. Come to think of it, thats a good thing.
2. I can put 9000 lbs in my 6x12 dump trailer (its a bigger trailer to begin with 14K GVW). Can't put 4k in a pick-em up.
3. He's in CaliFORNIA. An extra vehicle will cost him even more in taxes, tags, insurance, than you think you have it bad with.
4. He might not have the space or the ability to keep a beater truck. It's still California.
5. Tires, brakes, maintenance on a second truck, would suck, in California.
6. A trailer is quite utilitarian.
7. If he had a beater truck, he'd STILL need a trailer.

Oliver1655

Oliver1655

Addicted to ArboristSite
How much wood would you be able to cut & haul at a time? How far will you be hauling? If you are only getting a half a cord at a time, a smaller trailer may be a better option. Would you want to be able to haul a vehicle or a riding mower? I have several trailers & depending on the job determines which trailer will be the best option. A lot of times I use this trailer which only carries a half a cord but has a tool box which holds the cutting tools/accessories. The bed is 4'x8'x2' tall sides. It is easy to put the wood in & to take it out with minimal bending over. If you have a wider trailer there is more bending over & it is harder to unload if you have to get up on the trailer, grab an arm load then climb down & carry it to the stack.
Wood Cutting Trailer Ready to Go.jpg

If I am hauling logs I have a 20' long flat bed I lay 4"x6" beams on so I can use the forks/grapple to unload with. The flat bed is also great for hauling pallets of materials, bundles of lumber, ...
20 ft trailer of logs.jpg
I have a mower hauling trailer with a tilt bed 6.5" x 12' with 12" sides which holds 1 cord. (7,000 lb axle with 8 ply tires.)

While a dump trailer can be handy, unless you will just leaving the wood in a pile or have other uses for it, I find it is less work on my back to pick the wood off the trailer than off the ground. It may not be worth the extra 30-50% to buy a dump trailer. I have an 8' x 14' dump trailer but do not use it for the firewood that much.

As other posters stated, look for a trailer which will be as versatile for your needs as possible. You should be able to find a nice looking trailer in you price range without a problem.

Last edited:
Mad Professor
Yeah, A second Beater truck would be okay-ish for haulin wood, but a couple of things happen with a vehicle vs. trailer.
1. Can't help your sister in law move for the sixth relationship.... Her stuff can't be hauled in a trashy pick-up. Come to think of it, thats a good thing.
2. I can put 9000 lbs in my 6x12 dump trailer (its a bigger trailer to begin with 14K GVW). Can't put 4k in a pick-em up.
3. He's in CaliFORNIA. An extra vehicle will cost him even more in taxes, tags, insurance, than you think you have it bad with.
4. He might not have the space or the ability to keep a beater truck. It's still California.
5. Tires, brakes, maintenance on a second truck, would suck, in California.
6. A trailer is quite utilitarian.
7. If he had a beater truck, he'd STILL need a trailer.

He has a Lexus in Commufornia. Think he can't afford a beater truck? ; )

P.S. I do have a trailer, M332 ammo carrier. You can't overload it with cement.

Latest posts