Firewood Year in Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made a pledge at the beginning of the year that I'd hand split 20 cords for 2014.

I did not achieve that goal.

In total I processed about 25 cords of wood. From there I'd break it out to the following:

15 cords true hand split (13 cords with X27, 2 cords between sledge/wedge, mauls, splitting axe, and leveraxe)
4 cords with hydraulic
6 cords of rounds too small to split.
I'd say this is a conservative number as I quit keeping track in October and reconciled the rest of the year from memory.

I've also got an easy 5 cords sitting in rounds to split in 15'. Also lots of dying aspen to cut and split here. There's about 20 cords total but I'm going to space that out over a couple of years.

I'm not going to set a number goal for 2015 but my scrounge efforts will be focused on quality rather that quantity. The lowest BTU wood I plan to bring home will be Norway pine and black ash that Ive already identified but I'm going to focus on maple, white and yellow birch, and oak.

How did your year turn out?

image.jpg
(The workhorses.)

you are a split'n fool , thats is one goal achieved in my book maybe not exact number but awesome

In no parqticular order:

For personal use I worked mostly with Old growth Doug fir, alder, tan oak, madrone, pepper wood those are sort of the usual for my region. The wind fallen fir is a whopper at about 48 inches. The alder is easy going, the tan oak and pine was left over from the year before. First season with a hydro splitter and I have to say it was a good investment! Sold a cord of pine and a cord of fir.

I don't have a lot of pine to cut but when they blow down I go ahead and use it. Alder is borderline low grade wood but they keep falling over.

I want to get on a program to produce wood consistently and more frequently. I don't like a crunch come fall of the year to get all my wood in. But I cannot complain!

C/S/S about 8 ???? estimating thinking about what is stacked up here and there around here... got three sitting here ready to split as soon as winter is over and I have used up the stack I am pulling from now. Not going to split that until I have a place to put it immediately, I don't like splits laying around on the ground. Would have done more but blew my elbow out this summer so slowed down a lot.

Let's see....closed on the house in May, used June to get moved in, Vegas wedding in early July with a kitchen remodel in late July. Then til now, somewhere between 7 and 8 cords c/s/s, split with hydro. A couple small hide-away stacks out in the woods for emergencies, if I run out. Helped Dad c/s/s probably another 3 cord. As cold as it's been I still feel like I don't have enough for this season.

Next year, I hope to double the output since I'll have the cool spring weather to work. Plus, I hope to split more by hand to build up a little more core strength in the coming year.

Hoping for a happy and prosperous New Year for all of my AS buddies. Cheers!! :cheers:

Last year I went over the 100 cord sold mark for the first time and even though I was pretty proud of that, I didn't feel the need to go bigger but somehow I did just that. 2014 goes down as a 120 cord sold year. This doesn't include the 6-8 cords of nasties that go into my owb.
In July I stepped up from my husky 365 to an echo 8000 and fell in love. Man that thing rips. Looking forward to 150 cords for 2015.

The Last 2 years have been pretty dismal as far as wood production goes for me probably 10 cord total.For 2015 I plan to do triple that starting with splitting the rounds I have stockpiled.

I ended up with two L65's this year, one a gift and the other a Craig's cheapie. A saw with a lot of soul. Nice to see you using one.
It's a special saw. Doesn't cut as fast as it once did but won't stop either!

With the big open muffler it's got to be my favorite sounding saw at idle.

With last years cold winter we did not have much wood left over, usually have about two cords, this year it was about a half of a cord, so I went and bought another load of logs and will be two years ahead now. I also had elbow surgery last year which also prompted me to be a little more prepared.

You're a better man than me svk for even attempting to bust all that up by hand. I like splitting by hand as much as the next person, but I would've thrown in the towel on high production work like that and borrowed my buddy's ariens splitter for a while LOL. I would guesstimate with all of the wood I've got sitting here that by the time winter ends, I'll still have enough left over to be about halfway through next years supply. And with the tree removal work I've got lined up in the spring, that should put me better than a year ahead. I've had my eye on that echo timberwolf too. Maybe if I get the full reimbursement for non used sick days at work I'll put that check towards it.

I made a pledge at the beginning of the year that I'd hand split 20 cords for 2014.

I did not achieve that goal.

In total I processed about 25 cords of wood. From there I'd break it out to the following:

15 cords true hand split (13 cords with X27, 2 cords between sledge/wedge, mauls, splitting axe, and leveraxe)
4 cords with hydraulic
6 cords of rounds too small to split.
I'd say this is a conservative number as I quit keeping track in October and reconciled the rest of the year from memory.

I've also got an easy 5 cords sitting in rounds to split in 15'. Also lots of dying aspen to cut and split here. There's about 20 cords total but I'm going to space that out over a couple of years.

I'm not going to set a number goal for 2015 but my scrounge efforts will be focused on quality rather that quantity. The lowest BTU wood I plan to bring home will be Norway pine and black ash that Ive already identified but I'm going to focus on maple, white and yellow birch, and oak.

How did your year turn out?

View attachment 390948
(The workhorses.)
Under your pics you titled them "the work horses" I would disagree, The work horse is the guy using them. That axe or saw wont cut anything. It's the guy on the other end doing the work. Good job SVK you're the man! :rock::clap::rock::clap::rock:

Latest posts

Back