First Catostrophic Failure Rod thru case

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy,
It's good to see some things don't change. I might be all wet but, from the type of failure described 95 out of 100 times it's the pin catching the transfer. Pecker pistons will ace the bearing way before failing a rod.

Regards
Gregg

Gregg,
Are you saying it's the piston wrist pin hitting the transfer? Wouldn't the cir clips stop this from happening?

Howdy,
It's good to see some things don't change. I might be all wet but, from the type of failure described 95 out of 100 times it's the pin catching the transfer. Pecker pistons will ace the bearing way before failing a rod.

Regards
Gregg

I hate to pile on Gregg....but I've seen more failed "Baileys" pistons than any other.

I took apart a Husky 55 a few days ago that had one of Baileys kits on it. Total loss when the piston failed.

I hate to pile on Gregg....but I've seen more failed "Baileys" pistons than any other.

I took apart a Husky 55 a few days ago that had one of Baileys kits on it. Total loss when the piston failed.
Now thats interesting.....

Howdy,
The way I understood this is that the parts that failed were OEM but, it was because it had a Bailey's kit on it previously was pecking This cracked the con rod, and then when the OEM parts were installed the con rod failed. I'm saying con rods get pulled apart, not pushed apart. This holds true for any manufacturer.
I don't doubt that there are more failed Bailey's pistons because they outsold everybody by a 100 to 1. This is no defense that they failed but, the odds are to that favor.
The classic sign of a pin slip is when just one journal gets ripped off the piston accompanied by the transfer bridge being busted out of the corresponding side of the cylinder. The pix will tell.

Regards
Gregg

Howdy,
The way I understood this is that the parts that failed were OEM but, it was because it had a Bailey's kit on it previously was pecking This cracked the con rod, and then when the OEM parts were installed the con rod failed. I'm saying con rods get pulled apart, not pushed apart. This holds true for any manufacturer.
I don't doubt that there are more failed Bailey's pistons because they outsold everybody by a 100 to 1. This is no defense that they failed but, the odds are to that favor.
The classic sign of a pin slip is when just one journal gets ripped off the piston accompanied by the transfer bridge being busted out of the corresponding side of the cylinder. The pix will tell.

Regards
Gregg

I doubt you've sold more pistons than Meteor.........

Am I the only one that wants to replicate the grenading? :blob2: ...with a cheapo chicom p.o.s. of course!

Want some fun with a cheap saw? Do what I did with my very first chainsaw, run some model airplane fuel in it....you WILL see some rather spectacular RPMS....and more I bet..stand back....

..I miss my first saw...sniff...

:popcorn:

can't wait to see pics.
i love to see carnage, (that is not mine.... )
P.S. sorry to OP, glad u were not hurt.... except for loss of a pair of shorts.....

You don't need model airplane fuel, Coleman's Fuel/white gas will increase the rpm's also. Probably more than you would want.

Back