first chainsaw ever! my new echo 345, but can I modify exhuast?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wideopen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi peaples! I just started my brand new echo. It took a while for the 0 to1 ration I used, but turned up idle screw a hair and its cool. What i want to know is if I can increase performance and acooling with an exhaust mod>? If possible, can I just take out that silencer baffle thing in the can?
I go wide open, and really think that this epa thing is causing restrictions on how the motor should really sound and perform. Sound is no problem, just want to let it flow the right way.
please give me an idea on how to safely modify the exhaust can for better overall performance and cooling. I tried to search, but not to many peaple are down with the echos I guess. I got this thing brand new for 140 bones. Have fun yall.

p.s. I was a little happy to see 2 rings when I took of the muffler. The echo-usa website scared me!

I have run the Echo 3400 for years and even the older ones benifit from exhaust mods. My 3 yr old saw runs stronger than a friend's 3 yr old Stihl 020T. It won't touch his NEW Stihl, but it cost less than 1/2 of what he paid.

I haven't seen the newest muffler design, but I'd guess that you could lose the baffle. The deflector over the outlet hole is too stiff to pry with a screwdriver so you need to cut or file that open more. I think I took mine off and did it with the bench grinder and a small hand file.

The sooner you do this the better. Waiting till after break-in doesn't make sense. Break-in consists of unmatched metal surfaces rubbing against each other at high speeds until they mate up. This generates lots of extra heat. Why add to the additional heat by insisting on using a plugged muffler? I open up the exhaust on every saw I get as soon as possible.

was me id make sure any changes werent visible. as it is u may be loosing your warranty,which is one of echos strengths. just a thought

Anyone know what the difference is between the 345, 3400 and 3450 Echos? My next door neighbor in Northwood has a 3450 that runs pretty well when he puts the chain on in a non-backwards orientation. Won't run with my 2149G (as would be expected) , but seems to outcut my Poulan 36cc green meanie.

Hi Doug,

The 345 is the new number for the 3450; they are the rear handle version. 3400 is the top handle model. All have the same motor.

Thanks, Rog. How does this saw compare to the Husky 335 for power? Is the Echo 3450/340/3400 considered a good climbing saw?

How does the 345 top handle compare to the 300? I opened up the muffler on my 300 and the increase in power was substantial. Before opening up the muffler, the saw would bog down in cuts alot with the only way to get the RPM's back up was pull it from the cut. After the GeorgeW. Mod's (LOL) it still bogs down but if I ease up the pressure a tiny bit the rpm will recover and continue the cut.

I removed the entire guts of the muffler and took a die grinder enlarging the opening. I replaced the deflector and screen.....BottaBoom BottaBing, my little CS-300 didn't sound like a String Trimmer any longer.

Regard,

GeorgeW

Doug,

After modifying the muffler on my 3400, it cuts great, but still a bit slower than an old stock 335.

Very reliable saw however.

Correction.

I just checked my Bailey's catalog. The 3400 is now called the CS-341, and the 3450 is the CS-346. These have 4 more cc's than the 3000, and cut faster.

Originally posted by dbabcock
Thanks, Rog. How does this saw compare to the Husky 335 for power? Is the Echo 3450/340/3400 considered a good climbing saw?

I've been climbing with the 3400 for seven- eight years and like it a lot. Very reliable and inexpensive compared to the 020T and 335XPT. Not the strongest saw, but mine have performed quite well with simple muffler mods. You can pick one up for $250 or so. I've seen them as cheap as $229 plus shipping. Power blows the Echo 3000 away, but probably 15% less than a stock Husky 335 or Stihl 020T.

The newest 335XPT might have decent reliability, but they have had running problems for years. Rog says if you have it modified (another $200 with shipping, etc.) the reliability problems go away and you can have a real bada$$ saw. At $300-$350 plus mods, a little too rich for me right now. Plus I don't have any decent Husky dealers nearby.

Last edited:
Back