First Chainsaw Help For Homeowner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would mark #2 off the list. If you can handle both of the others, I would see which one feels better to you. If the 350 is in excellent condition, that would be my pick. But that is just my opinion.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Thanks for all your input. After much research, I purchased a brand new Echo CS-490 with 18" bar.

The dealer put the fluids in and I brought it home, tightened the chain, pulled it twice, and it fired up.

I put it through a mild workout and it performed well. It should serve my needs just fine.

Few questions from a chainsaw rookie:

1. This one has the 18" bar, but actual length is 17.5"...I assume this is normal.

2. The chain loosened up after I used it. I take it that is normal initial chain stretch? The need to adjust it will decrease as I use it?

3. Engine break in - Is it recommended to take it easy for the first few tanks of fuel or run it hard from the beginning?

Thanks for all your input. After much research, I purchased a brand new Echo CS-490 with 18" bar.

The dealer put the fluids in and I brought it home, tightened the chain, pulled it twice, and it fired up.

I put it through a mild workout and it performed well. It should serve my needs just fine.

1. This one has the 18" bar, but actual length is 17.5"...I assume this is normal.

2. The chain loosened up after I used it. I take it that is normal initial chain stretch? The need to adjust it will decrease as I use it?

3. Engine break in - Is it recommended to take it easy for the first few tanks of fuel or run it hard from the beginning?
1 and 2 are normal. You will get different opinions on 3. I run a new saw just like an old saw. It will get a little stronger as it breaks in, after a few tanks of fuel.

Dont run it wide open out of the cut for a tank or two and then let her have it lol.

Good choice for a first bigger saw, with a 5 year warranty.
As some one mentioned before spend the money to by the canned fuel if your not running rhe saw regular like at least once a week.
You of course search your area for non Ethonal gas, In my area is is called Rec fuel. Of course you could pay even bigger bucks and buy av gas at an airport.
You don't need to be in a rush to do a muffler mod as the saw will work fine as is.

Yes the chains do streach but the Echo is so easy to tighten the chain on losen the two bar nuts and turn the adjuster scew. If it is going to be setting a good while I would loosen the chain too.

If you got it new you got a owners manual, there are sections with how to on a saw, like adjusting the chain and a few other things.

Al

Good choice for a first bigger saw, with a 5 year warranty.
As some one mentioned before spend the money to by the canned fuel if your not running rhe saw regular like at least once a week.
You of course search your area for non Ethonal gas, In my area is is called Rec fuel. Of course you could pay even bigger bucks and buy av gas at an airport.
You don't need to be in a rush to do a muffler mod as the saw will work fine as is.

Yes the chains do streach but the Echo is so easy to tighten the chain on losen the two bar nuts and turn the adjuster scew. If it is going to be setting a good while I would loosen the chain too.

If you got it new you got a owners manual, there are sections with how to on a saw, like adjusting the chain and a few other things.

Al
The non ethonol fuel is the way to go.i pick up my leaf blower that I hadn't used since last fall. It was half full of fuel. It fired right up and ran good. My pole saw that I only use once or twice a year gets the canned fuel.

Echo uses hard rings...expect break-in to take many tanks of fuel before it really hits full power. I love working on echo saws...guy brought me a cs520 that he admitted the gas was many years old and wanted to see if i could revive it. I pulled it a couple times and the compression felt great. I choked it and in 4 pulls it ran...idled fine too. I dumped the basically orange swill out the tank and put in fresh and ran it in...smooth saw. He didnt even leave it. He took it home and used it then brought it back for some spare chains.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back