First ever Negative feedback on an MS660.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 1/4" torque wrenches are handy, started using one years ago on bedding rifle actions and scope mounts, they save a lot of headaches and provide consistency.

A 1/4 torque wrench is a must have indeed for doing saw work. Hell its as handy as a scrench in the shop, gotta have it for peace of mind if nothing else. When she goes out the door you know everything is tightened to spec.

Heck Spring I had a 088 come in once, supposely rebuilt. The clutch came loose on it. It spun into the clutch drum. Talk about a pita getting the sprocket clip off, wow, had to cut it off. It was being forced againist the drum due to that clutch driving the drum into it. Once again a torque wrench would had prevented all that. Someone just tightened the clutch and guessed, not good........

Last edited:
if you did everything you could to satisfy the buyer detail it in your feedback area. also, you can also detail it in the buyer's feedback area. let the world know what a schmuck he is. probably stripped out when he was swinging it to cut wood.

I buy and sell on ebay. Once bought a "perfectly working Jred". it did work for 5 minutes and stopped. Tore it down: needs a new crankshaft, P&C and manifold! Too bad for me: it did work when I got it. Since, I only buy and sell parts saws on Ebay. No surprise: they don't work from the start.

If I sold something substantial on E-Bay and someone with some bad feedback bid on it - I would check the last day and cancel his bid if need be.

You can't get negative feedback as a buyer. Only sellers can get negative feedback. So it really does no good to detect a bad buyer.

And I do not play games with feedback. A guy bids, wins and pays, what else are you going to base his feedback on? I have never had a problem on eBay that I could not handle. Until this one.

And he is a seller as well. I have to think that I went way above and beyond that which he would do as a sell.

Scott.

You can't get negative feedback as a buyer. Only sellers can get negative feedback. So it really does no good to detect a bad buyer.

And I do not play games with feedback. A guy bids, wins and pays, what else are you going to base his feedback on? I have never had a problem on eBay that I could not handle. Until this one.

And he is a seller as well. I have to think that I went way above and beyond that which he would do as a sell.

Scott.

I hate to hear about the bad luck on Ebay but it is not the end of the world. When I buy on Ebay I always check the seller's feedback no matter their percentage, some buyers are just to nice and leave a positive mark but their feedback may not be so positive. Make sure you go in to your feedback and leave a reply, or replies, to the negative so future buyers will see that you tried to make it right. Now he will also be able to reply to your replies, but you can do the same to his replies also. I would even consider blocking his user name from being able to bid on your auctions.

I feel your frustrations Scott,
I sold a locked up David Bradley and listed it as parts or repair
with lots of pic's only to get a neutral feedback because the
model tag was missing.
Sold a Stihl 011 as parts or repair but ran and got a neutral because he couldn't go cut wood. Needed a sprocket and i wouldn't pay for it.
My last saw i sold on ebay was a nice 394XP with 36 inch B+C, Guy hit
the buy it now. I sent the saw, he recieved it and then files a ITEM NOT
AS DESCRIBED DESPUTE. Because he said it died after 10 seconds,
I poured out bar oil and had a crack in the brake handle. I told him to send it back for a full refund minus shipping charges. I recieve the saw,
Check it out. Runs like a top, Oils normally, and no crack in the brake
handle.
I'm still waiting for the feedback. But i'm sure it will be a NEG.

Lee

Well he finally contacted me, and we are speaking amicably.

LoL, I just remembered something I did way before eBay. I have this big hillbilly auction about an hour from me. When it was cost effective to take lawn tractors there I would load up a trailer and truck and take a bunch of clunkers down. People would buy everything from a good lawn mower to a parts tractor.

Well, Jokingly I wrote in big magic marker on the hood of this tractor..."Will not start and does not cut!!!" Well it obviously wouldn't start because there was no engine, and wouldn't cut because there was no deck. That thing sold for $250. to a guy who was pi$$ed when he won the bid and finally opened the hood.

Well it did have a good tranny. Too bad it was only a craftsman.

I am not sure what will happen with the guy in SC but I hope I can at least make the deal feel right to him.

E-Bay is just like any auction,you are taking a chance when you buy. At a regular auction usually the auctioneer states that all items are sold as is where is unless other wise stated. Usually they will start a Chain saw,at least you know it will start and run. But you are taking a chance on any action purchase. So I bid accordingly. Sometimes people really make me wonder,I have sold lots of items at auction. There are times when I have lost money,there are other times when the item brings more then I paid retail.I sold an air compressor I bought new and used hard for 8 years. It brought $65.00 more then I paid for it new.
Always research before you buy. If that saw is worth say $200.00 used in perfect shape. Look it over good and deduct the value of repairs to make it perfect. Then subtract the unknown,The saw may look great but mechanically you may be taking a chance. So stop at $100 or $125.especially if the seller says it runs good but he is selling it as is where is with no guarantee. You may not get the saw,but you also may not get the head aches that the guy that bought it and paid $250.00 to own a $200.00 saw. And finds out he has problems.

Very well put. Few buyers at a "live" auction will take the saw back if it's not what they expected, but people think they can do that on fee-bay.

Hold on a minute...

Let's go over this one more time slowly... It's OK for an AS member to sell a chainsaw? Here all along I thought we wre only supposed to buy saws! LOL

Olyeller

Very well put. Few buyers at a "live" auction will take the saw back if it's not what they expected, but people think they can do that on fee-bay.

Thats true. But at a live auction you can look it over and start it. On feebay you must take the sellers word. And unfortunately many are dishonest and leave out major issues. I dont know if the OP knew the cylinder bolt was stripped but that seems fishy to me. I know crap happens and maybe he knew nothing about it. But it does seem like ebay is the place for some people to dump junk saws and stuff because they know the buyers have to take their dishonest word. It sucks for the rest of us honest sellers but it also makes it safer for the honest buyers.

Ebay is a friggen joke these days!!!!!

It does'nt pay to be a seller. I used to sell on Ebay too, before they changed all the rules. It's total BS that you can't leave a buyer a -.

Ebay only cares about making their money. They care nothing for their network of sellers, by which they get their coin. If it was'nt for people selling on there, they would be broke.

I don't know why anybody puts "sold as is" on an auction either. There's no such thing as "as is" on Ebay anymore. If anything, you just make it look like there's something wrong to start with by putting "as is". Since "as is" does'nt exist anyway, why not just leave it out? I think it would be better of and could help with these buyers robbing good sellers. I may be wrong about this, but when I see "as is", I automatically think there's a possibility for failure. Just natural to think that. I figure there's no need to even say "as is" if the arsehole buyers can get their refund every time anyways. JMO. I hate Ebay for selling things! :angry:

Thats true. But at a live auction you can look it over and start it. On feebay you must take the sellers word. And unfortunately many are dishonest and leave out major issues. I dont know if the OP knew the cylinder bolt was stripped but that seems fishy to me. I know crap happens and maybe he knew nothing about it. But it does seem like ebay is the place for some people to dump junk saws and stuff because they know the buyers have to take their dishonest word. It sucks for the rest of us honest sellers but it also makes it safer for the honest buyers.

The bad part is, that goes both ways. Good sellers get ripped buy dishonest buyers, dishonest sellers rip good buyers.
It's Ebay's policy thats got everything messed up as it is. They should never side with the buyer every time. Instead, they need to weigh the evidence and choose the honest side. Instead of looking out for their own coin, they should take care of thier honest sellers when it's in the right to do so.
It is a good place for dishonest sellers to dump junk, but it's just as much a place for dishonest buyers to rob honest sellers out of their items and/or coin.

The bad part is, that goes both ways. Good sellers get ripped buy dishonest buyers, dishonest sellers rip good buyers.
It's Ebay's policy thats got everything messed up as it is. They should never side with the buyer every time. Instead, they need to weigh the evidence and choose the honest side. Instead of looking out for their own coin, they should take care of thier honest sellers when it's in the right to do so.
It is a good place for dishonest sellers to dump junk, but it's just as much a place for dishonest buyers to rob honest sellers out of their items and/or coin.

I agree with you man. I sell on there still because I can get alot more for a saw on there than I can by selling locally. I havent had any major issues with selling yet so until I do Ill keep pushing my luck.:hmm3grin2orange: Unfortunately Ive had most of my issues buying there though.

I agree with you man. I sell on there still because I can get alot more for a saw on there than I can by selling locally. I havent had any major issues with selling yet so until I do Ill keep pushing my luck.:hmm3grin2orange: Unfortunately Ive had most of my issues buying there though.

Yep, saws do bring a premium on the bay. Thats the only good thing about the buyer protection. It gives them freedom to pay out big bucks with no worries of getting burnt. It makes it harder on good sellers though. But I really can't see a better way for them to do it.
I do think that a seller should at least be able to give a neg to a buyer though. It does'nt make sense not to be able to.

Yep, saws do bring a premium on the bay. Thats the only good thing about the buyer protection. It gives them freedom to pay out big bucks with no worries of getting burnt. It makes it harder on good sellers though. But I really can't see a better way for them to do it.
I do think that a seller should at least be able to give a neg to a buyer though. It does'nt make sense not to be able to.

True dat! Seems Ive been running into alot more non paying bidders nowadays. Cant do a damn thing about it either but file a non-pay claim and nothing happens.

i've been wanting to buy a small torque wrench for some time now. well, it's on the way!

Since in building saws, we use the same two or three screw sizes over and over, you can make use of one of the settable production torque screwdrivers. These are quite expensive new, but often go by very cheap on ebay from surplus dealers, since they lack a gauge or a convenient way to set the torque so are of little interest to the normal maintenance shops where the torque must be re-set often. These drivers are used on a factory floor where the torque is set in the tooling department and workers do not adjust the tool. Have one set up for each of the screw sizes you commonly use. There are also air powered torque-setting screwdrivers. They will drive and *very accurately* set the torque under air power. Also very expensive new, but cheap on the surplus market. I have several.

Jimbo

Back