First fire and one question . . .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RunNGun17

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
It hit the mid 20's here and I said enough is enough, were firing up the stove!

Brand new EPA stove, first fire in it tonight, first wood stove in the home, and a question . . .

Got everything up and running, let the flue get up too about 400 and started closing things down after about 45 min or so. Flue temp stays at about 250. In the fire box I see no smoke, red hot coals and wood is burning. If I crack the door it really gets rolling again and flue temp goes up, heres what I'm confused about the air damper is all the way open. Just wondering if I would get a diff. stove pipe thermometer if it would read different, also do you guys see a problem with this? Now if I had smoke in the fire box and the glass would smoke up I could see but zero smoke in the fire box but still can't get the temp over 300 with the door shut?

I'm used to deer camps wood insert, load it up and shut the door with a bit of air and not even caring about the temp, am I looking into things too much because its the first fire?

Thanks guys!

I don't use any kind of thermometer, hadn't in over 30 years. Seems your flue would be a bit hotter. But I don't see a problem.

You did do a few break-in fires, right?

Most new stoves get there temp taken on the stove top dead center over the door.

You might want to register on http://www.**********/econtent/index.php/forums/viewforum/2/

and include your stove type down in your signature. They'll set you straight, good luck.

Last edited:
Epa stoves don't burn like the older stoves did. You need to get a good hot fire and once your where you need to be, you can close down the stove and it will burn for hours. Do things too early and it won't burn properly. When we close down our flue temps will decrease as heat output increases. Once you have things set, check your chimney and if you see no smoke and you have a good fire your set. Normally you won't burn with the air controls open all the time. If you find yourself having to do it, you wood isn't seasoned. A EPA Certified unit needs good seasoned wood to operate properly. Good luck and enjoy your new stove! Ditto on ********** they are good people.

:agree2::agree2

Good post !! Dry wood is the key. Your glass should not get black. I can't remember the last time I cleaned mine. Look for the "dancing" flames on the top baffles - always a good sign that the stove is burning properly.

Things still seem good. A bit of smoke out the top of the chimney, but nothing to be concerned about. Fire is still going great. Basement is already 15 degrees warmer and the house is 5 degrees warmer.

I think i read too much info on the temp "should be" 300-500. Every application is different. As long as I'm not getting a ton of creosote and fires continue to burn good I'll be happy.

The wood last time I checked was at 10%. About a month ago. So I know my wood is good and dry, maybe with it being an external chimney its not up to temp 100% yet? Who knows.

I know my wife is happy! Isn't that what counts, haha!

Back