first go at porting on my 660.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every saw I pull down has more wear on the intake side at the bottom of the skirt. I find little to no wear on the exhaust side. This isn't just on my saws, but on others saws coming in for porting. Many of these are nearly new too.

Connecting rod angularity...

I once had a talk with a former saw modder here named Ken Dunn. In his day Ken was the KING of modded saws here on AS at that time. He told me that the 066 came with the hottest factory port timing there was...........don't know about the 660!!!

Ken was also a standup guy and could be taken at his word!!!

In the limited saw mods that I have done I have found that a carbide burr can take material off in a hurry especially in the hands of the unknowing. I always used a sanding disc on my Foredom!

Last edited:
IMG_3279.JPG

A dual port on a stock muffler does not have to be a pipe or a ugly big hole, a second port that looks stock can be added and still use a spark screen if needed. This is on my 066.
Pioneerguy600

looks like the factory deflector is also been replaced, did you open that side up aswell aswell ad the second port

are both ports the same size?

IMG_3279.JPG

A dual port on a stock muffler does not have to be a pipe or a ugly big hole, a second port that looks stock can be added and still use a spark screen if needed. This is on my 066.
Pioneerguy600

You muffler does look good, I am going to have to ad flow to my muffler, so it may look like that when its done.

I don't have the time for saws as some on here have, so this might be a week long project, but it will hopefully run good when done. It may not look as good as some and I know it won't run with the big dogs, but it will have came from my own hands, and thats what i love.

You muffler does look good, I am going to have to ad flow to my muffler, so it may look like that when its done.

I don't have the time for saws as some on here have, so this might be a week long project, but it will hopefully run good when done. It may not look as good as some and I know it won't run with the big dogs, but it will have came from my own hands, and thats what i love.

I think thats the way we all start out but the darn addiction grows with every saw or every step we accomplish then want to do more and even better projects. It gets worse every week and when you have done it for years it can get a little crazy real easy. The 066 that muffler is on has been opened up a lot and really needs the dual ported muffler to handle the flow this saw is capable of and yes it does use more fuel than a stock saw but the gain in performance is so evident that the 066`s are starting to edge out over using my 044`s and MS 440`s. The couple of extra pounds are quickly forgotten when the cutting speed is so much faster.
Pioneerguy600

I`ve had a lot of PM`s asking about placement of the ports and deflectors and why the exhaust exit points forward. Well I don`t like the exhaust gases burning up the side cases of the saws like the stock deflector does and I dont mind the hot gases bouncing off the log or stick that I am cutting as the bar is long enough that my face is not that close to the wood and have to breathe the exhaust gases and burning bark/wood etc. The next muffler I do this way I will try to keep the deflectors more even or level with each other. The stock outlet would require welding in as it is too high up on the muffler to get the second exit to align but a little more patching and welding in of the stock opening would help make the job a little more balanced.
Pioneerguy600

Back