First impression of the Stihl 241c

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was convinced that I was going to change mine out to .325 from the get go so I chucked an old bar and sprocket on it when I bought it in 3/8lp, never looked back. The 3/8p and .325 tooth in Stihl current chain is damn near the same size. The old .325 had a slightly wider top plate in the 3629 (.325/.063") I have gone as far as putting a 16" of .043 narrow kerf 3/8lp on it and it's crazy quick

Mine had come with a 16" 7 pin , it worked well but I wasn't feeling the love , I dropped to a 14" and was happy with that gain plus it had better balance for me , got the 6 tooth spur and it got even better , I've not tried the 16" with the 6t and but Stihlcrazy has blocked better than 60 cord with his 16" 6t mm and he likes it , he's run way more saws than me dropping timber for a living .

20161016_161700.jpg

20161023_133459.jpg

20161023_133911_HDR.jpg

20161016_142915.jpg

I'm just a hack but chain speed isn't always where it's at .

Those saws will pull a 16 with authority, BTW I have two of them and even in hardwood they still pull good. The 16 makes for less bending when limbing, it gives more reach .

Ive gone the expensive route when it comes to bar length.... Aside from the 661, all my saws wear 1 size bar. The 241 has the 12", 362 has a 16", 441 has the 20" and the 661 gets the 25" (24) and the 32".

I don't do a lot of "tree work" unless its for charity. So I tend to not find myself doing a lot of limbing. When I am able to find time to help a buddy cut Buckthorn out of the local parks, this combination shines. Its nimble and light, nimble being the key part.

Ive gone the expensive route when it comes to bar length.... Aside from the 661, all my saws wear 1 size bar. The 241 has the 12", 362 has a 16", 441 has the 20" and the 661 gets the 25" (24) and the 32".

I don't do a lot of "tree work" unless its for charity. So I tend to not find myself doing a lot of limbing. When I am able to find time to help a buddy cut Buckthorn out of the local parks, this combination shines. Its nimble and light, nimble being the key part.
Damn right that little saw is nimble. My favorite saw of all times.

I haven't tried the 12" on the 241 but will be able to report soon.

I too like short bars as they cut faster, chains take less maintenance, and are less likely to find their tip in the dirt or rocks. My cabin woodlot has tons of rock from softball to boulder size. You literally couldn't pound a fence post there to save your life so if the bar tip hits the ground you are ensured a rocked chain.

My normal cutting fleet has the 550 with 16", 562 with 16" or 20", and 2186 with 20" or 28" if needed. I've ran the new to me 24" bar once on the 562 when I needed to drop and stump a big flared aspen.

My 241 has yet to be broken in (on tank 4 right now) so I can't judge its full potential until then.

took the 241 out this morning for the maiden cut. cutting tops from a logging job. i must have ran through some dirt because it just would not cut after sawing a stob off a big limb. brought it back to the shop and gave it a few swipes with a brand new file. it stihl didn't want to cut right. gonna check the rakers on it in a few minutes. the saw itself ran fine. pulled the air box cover and the filter was stihl nice and clean.

@svk

Did you buy the bar/chain combo from Left Coast? If you did, how do you like the 91vxl?
Yes got the combo from LCS in both 12 and 14 inch lengths.

I haven't used these VXL chains yet. The stuff I had used previously on my buddy's 211 had a lot of chatter out of the box and cut great after the first sharpening with proper raker adjustment.

I'll let you know tomorrow or tonight how they cut.

after a little chain "adjustment" i went over to my buddy's to help with a pin oak he had dropped. seemed a bit better and even did a noddle job on one piece. have only ran it about 1/2 throttle so far for break in. FYI i checked a piece of the smaller limb wood with the MM and had 14% inside a split and 8% on the outside.
20161230_153013_resized.jpg

Latest posts

Back