First impression of the Stihl 241c

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to see people figuring out how much you can cut with a good 40cc saw and 3/8 lo pro. Although it's a shame to see someone pay more than $100 for one! And I keep a 16" bar on mine most of the time.

Hi SVK
How does the 241 stack up against the 550xp...... wondering if a ported 241 would stay with a stock 550xp. Has anyone seen this as a comparison? I realise your 550xp is ported and the 241 stock though.
Well I don't have a ported 241....yet. I'd postulate they'd be very close in performance (modded 241 to stock 550). Perhaps the 241 may have a slight edge?

Stock to stock the 550 blows it out of the water. Considering you can find a 550 for cheaper through AS sponsors than a 241 lists for I'd go for the 550 every time even though the 241 is .9 lb lighter.

After cutting today I'm about to post some more 241 thoughts in a separate post. Stand by....

IMG_6833.JPG
Above: My 241 wearing the new GB 14" bar and VXL chain.

So I had a chance to put another tank through the 241 today.

Ran about 1/3 tank through on the 16" bar and PS3 chain. It cuts but is certainly nothing special considering I'm spoiled with a great 550 done up by Miller Mod Saws.

Swapped to the 14" bar and the saw absolutely woke up. Revved significantly higher and cut much better. This all with out of the box VXL chain which we know isn't the fastest cutting chain in the low profile world.

I don't see the 16" bar going back on this saw anytime soon unless I need to buck larger wood and don't have a larger saw at hand.

It's interesting that some folks say longer bars don't equal slower cutting speed. That's not what I've observed time and time again.

It's also worth noting that the GB orange matches the Stihl orange quite well.

Im interested to see how the 12" bar performs. May try that tomorrow.

Thanks SVK,
Value and performance for money the 550xp is hard to beat but in the long run a ported 241 with its better filtration and the time you'd save over the life of the saw not having to stuff around with the outboard clutch. Also from all accounts the reliability of the the Stihl Vs the husky could make a ported 241 a better option in the long run. In saying that I have a stock 550xp and it does cut very nicely.

after a little chain "adjustment" i went over to my buddy's to help with a pin oak he had dropped. seemed a bit better and even did a noddle job on one piece. have only ran it about 1/2 throttle so far for break in. FYI i checked a piece of the smaller limb wood with the MM and had 14% inside a split and 8% on the outside.
View attachment 547129
Allways WOT for break in, u need pressure on the rings

Almost three tanks through the 241 today. Was cutting some poplar that was in the 15-16" range so didn't get a chance to try out the 12" bar.

Again after swapping back and forth I can confirm I'm much happier using the 14" bar. I did most of my cutting with the 14" bar until I hit a chunk of cable in the fence. Luckily I was going slow so the damage to the chain was light.

SVK, have you ever run the Stihl MS250? I was talking with my dealer the other day and he was say the only advantage I have from switching from it to a 241 would be weight and price.
I have both now @Wowzer. (d@mn CAD) running the same B/C setup on both. the 241 seems a little smoother and the filtration is much better on it than the 250. i cut a ton of wood with the 250 and no problems.

I had a 230 , cut a few cord with it , it worked well , a friend has it now , he only cuts a few cord a year , he's real happy with it .
The 241 built as a pro saw and designed to run many more hours than the homeowner saws , the specs don't tell all , after running one tankful after tankful the 241 works .

I have both now @Wowzer. (d@mn CAD) running the same B/C setup on both. the 241 seems a little smoother and the filtration is much better on it than the 250. i cut a ton of wood with the 250 and no problems.

Yeah I'm trying to tell myself that the 250, and 241 should be about the same so I don't have to buy it haha but I think in the spring I'm going to get the 241 and run a 14" bar. I am into a lot of ash tops and I picked up an older 044 for the bigger stuff now

@svk or @CaseyForrest. question for you. does the scrench that came with your 241 fit you spark plug on your saw? my dealer grabbed one off the wall rack to give me when i bought mine and it is the standard scrench. the scrench that came with my 1 trimmer is the only 1 i have that fits my plug on the 241. just curious if there is a different one that comes with the 241. thanks.

@svk or @CaseyForrest. question for you. does the scrench that came with your 241 fit you spark plug on your saw? my dealer grabbed one off the wall rack to give me when i bought mine and it is the standard scrench. the scrench that came with my 1 trimmer is the only 1 i have that fits my plug on the 241. just curious if there is a different one that comes with the 241. thanks.

I couldn't tell you either... I have 1 scrench in my supplies milkcrate and I don't know where I threw the one that came with the saw. I do believe it is the same standard scrench that comes with all the other stihl saws. I know it takes the same plug as the rest of my saws.

Not sure. If I ever find the scrench again I'll check and let you know.

I couldn't tell you either... I have 1 scrench in my supplies milkcrate and I don't know where I threw the one that came with the saw. I do believe it is the same standard scrench that comes with all the other stihl saws. I know it takes the same plug as the rest of my saws.
thanks guys. Casey mine has a different size plug than the rest of my stihls. the D.O.M of my saw is 7/2014 according to the EPA sticker.

thanks guys. Casey mine has a different size plug than the rest of my stihls. the D.O.M of my saw is 7/2014 according to the EPA sticker.

Ok, let me preface my previous comment... I went in to get some spare plugs, listed off what I would be putting them in and I walked out with a box of 10 plugs, all the same.

BG55, 241, 362, 441, 661

I don't know if the BR700 or my FS90 take the same plug or if the BG86 I bought to replace the BG55 also takes the same plug. I would have to do some snooping.

Back