First load of firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homelitejim

Full of Scrap
Reaction score
I am helping a guy clear out all the blow down and standing dead on his property to reduce fire danger he does not burn so he lets me take all the wood I want. This is just 1 days work and have about 8 or 9 more trips to go.

wood005.jpg

wood006.jpg

wood007.jpg

wood008.jpg

Here are a few more pics. Used the 066 and 441 for bucking while the logs were still bundled, made for very quick work.

wood009.jpg

wood012.jpg

wood013.jpg

wood015.jpg

Figure I pulled out about a cord give or take.

Those pecker poles dont add up to much wood at the end of the day, nothin wrong with a good days work though :rock:

Looks like a good days work, love the pictures. Did you use your ATV for hauling the wood close to the truck?

Yes, all the wood is in a very thick area with lots of rocks, bundled 7 or 8 logs together and skidded them to the landing. lol.:msp_w00t:

Jim...legitimate...question...
You guys on the west coast burn pine for firewood??
Here on east coast...you'd have to be desperate to use pine for firewood...
too much creosote...ya can't give small stuff away...
I was thinking those little logs were headed to the mill...
Thanks for any reply...
:cheers:
J2F

Jim...legitimate...question...
You guys on the west coast burn pine for firewood??
Here on east coast...you'd have to be desperate to use pine for firewood...
too much creosote...ya can't give small stuff away...
I was thinking those little logs were headed to the mill...
Thanks for any reply...
J2F

Think of it this way, when you go out in the woods I suspect most of the trees are of hard wood decent; oak, maple, ash, hickory... Out here you can walk for miles in the woods and you are only going to see pine trees. We do have hard woods out here but you have to go into the mountain swamps to get them or cut trees down in town. Pine does burn and it can burn very hot, the draw back is that it burns very fast. Small diameter pine burns the same as large diameter pine, the small stuff is easier to split if you have to split it at all. We do have problems with creosote but I brush out my chimney twice a year to keep it clean. I have to burn what I get, and out here it is pine.

Think of it this way, when you go out in the woods I suspect most of the trees are of hard wood decent; oak, maple, ash, hickory... Out here you can walk for miles in the woods and you are only going to see pine trees. We do have hard woods out here but you have to go into the mountain swamps to get them or cut trees down in town. Pine does burn and it can burn very hot, the draw back is that it burns very fast. Small diameter pine burns the same as large diameter pine, the small stuff is easier to split if you have to split it at all. We do have problems with creosote but I brush out my chimney twice a year to keep it clean. I have to burn what I get, and out here it is pine.

Much thanks for the reply...again it was a really not-know question

Yes...you are exactly right about the abundance of hardwood
trees here and why next to no one burns pine for firewood.
J2F

I took notice of all the soft wood and Poplar that was burned for firewood out on the West coast from Anchorage AK down to LA,CA.
Over here we can`t give pine away no matter how big it is, the mills won`t saw it for lumber due to the pitch that builds up on the blades.

I took notice of all the soft wood and Poplar that was burned for firewood out on the West coast from Anchorage AK down to LA,CA.
Over here we can`t give pine away no matter how big it is, the mills won`t saw it for lumber due to the pitch that builds up on the blades.

Yea, pine is worthless over on this side. I feel lucky that we have all these good hardwood trees to burn.

I'm with ya HLJim, smaller trees=less splitting. I'd just as soon cut up smaller stuff. means I can use a smaller saw.

Good job brother.

Like Jim said, you could go forever in the woods and never see any hardwood, out here the best firewood is, in order

Tamarack
Doug Fir
Lodgepole

then there's the lo-grade stuff like piss fir, spruce, yellow pine, etc.

Nice pic's Homelite jim. Hopefully see the 2100 out again soon! Though I love my 66 too! And looked like you had a 441 All NICE! And I can respect that a great deal burning what is handy, and abundent! For sure. Somebody looked at me funny for grabbing pepperwood the other day, we hand to cut it down anyway why waste it. They said oh it's so stringy, well that's why I have a splitter, and it does burn good. Right Jim!!

Just to be clear about Washington ....

For you east coasters and central states boys, what has been said above is likely true for much of EASTERN Washington, but here west of the Cascade Mountains, we have a good mix of hardwoods (oaks and maples) and soft woods (lots of Doug Fir). I have two LARGE oaks down at my mother's place right now that ought to produce several cords for her once the hydraulic splitter is done with them.

Nice saws Jim, love that Super EZ!

If it burns and will heat your house, doesn't matter what brand it is! I actually like pine and if tamarack grew in Virginia I'd cut that! Splits easy, burns hot and like the crackling it makes, nothing like a buckskin.....no bark to mess with! :msp_smile:

Out here in California where I'm at near Yosemite, We have a large mixture of trees. I've got Pine, Black Oak, White Oak, Doug Fir, and even some redwood. The redwood and doug fir I can usually sell to the mill but if split and seasoned, I can get $200 a cord for Pine delivered. $160 for pickup. And $300 to $400 for Oak. People burn what will keep their house warm. I'm new to this site and am daily finding new threads to enjoy.
:clap:

Nice saws Jim, love that Super EZ!

If it burns and will heat your house, doesn't matter what brand it is! I actually like pine and if tamarack grew in Virginia I'd cut that! Splits easy, burns hot and like the crackling it makes, nothing like a buckskin.....no bark to mess with! :msp_smile:

The super ez was the only saw I used out in the field, didn't need the power of the other saws as everything was under 10 inches. I used the bigger saws when I got home for bucking the stack while still on the trailer.

Creosote is a product of a cool burn and doesn't have anything to do with pine, per se. This is why it is important to season you wood so that it burns hot. I burn hardwoods exclusively and all of the wood I burned this past winter was cut 1 1/2 yrs bf. I only cleaned the glass on my insert one time and that was just for fun. When we finished buring for the year, the insert glass only needed a paper towel to be clean.

Back