first milling this week

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wi50

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just purchased a new GB double ended bar mill and 44" rail kit. My longest bar is 36" so I drilled a hole in the end a safe distance behind the sprocket, as close as I dare go to the sprocket and berring. Drilled a hole in the end of the mill as far inside ( just inside of the powerhead mounting slots) as I could to allow me to run a bolt through the bar, I machined a spacer the correct length to hold the bar at the same height as the powerhead. I made another spacer to hold the bar tip shield and aux. oiler tip. There's 29-30" of capacity now with the 36" bar.

I've got a late 066 mag, dual port, that's one strong running stock saw. I richened it up and turned the oiler up all the way.

Now for a couple of questions. 7 pin or 8 pin sprocket? Milling red oak.

Simply sharpen the chain to 10 deg, or what angle and raker depth?

I should order some milling chain from Baileys and will likely do it tomorrow, but I'd like to try some milling this week if I get some time.

I just purchased a new GB double ended bar mill and 44" rail kit. My longest bar is 36" so I drilled a hole in the end a safe distance behind the sprocket, as close as I dare go to the sprocket and berring. Drilled a hole in the end of the mill as far inside ( just inside of the powerhead mounting slots) as I could to allow me to run a bolt through the bar, I machined a spacer the correct length to hold the bar at the same height as the powerhead. I made another spacer to hold the bar tip shield and aux. oiler tip. There's 29-30" of capacity now with the 36" bar.

I've got a late 066 mag, dual port, that's one strong running stock saw. I richened it up and turned the oiler up all the way.

Now for a couple of questions. 7 pin or 8 pin sprocket? Milling red oak.

Simply sharpen the chain to 10 deg, or what angle and raker depth?

I should order some milling chain from Baileys and will likely do it tomorrow, but I'd like to try some milling this week if I get some time.

7-pin rim definitely in that size of wood, especially Oak. I've done a lot of playing around with my 066 and a few different chains on 7 and 8 pin sprockets, though all in softwood. I've found that even with <20" cuts in Pine or Douglas Fir, the saw just seems to run better with a 7-pin. I can't notice much if any difference in cut speed at that size between a 7 or 8, but the 7 lets the saw hold RPMs higher in its powerband a bit better (thus keeping it cooler theoretically), and I don't have to hold it back or control the cut as much. I do file the chain a tad bit more aggressively for the 7 though, to put that few percent torque gain to work.

If you're going to be ordering a proper ripping chain shortly, I wouldn't bother going through all the effort to modify a standard-profile chain just for a few cuts. I've milled a fair bit with chisel chain at 25° top angle, and it can cut a bit rougher because the sharp point of the cutter wants to pull the chain sideways more, but in hard Oak that shouldn't be a big deal. 10° is a good happy medium between a faster cut speed with a steeper angle, and a smoother cut speed as you approach 0°. I do most of my smaller milling with a 25" low-profile setup on my 066. It cuts great and the saw hardly breaks a sweat. I wouldn't recommend it for a 44" bar though; it would stretch horribly if nothing else over that length!

Bob will be along to fill you in on chain sharpening profiles shortly, I'm sure. For the most part I just eyeball it for touch-ups, and use a filing guide jig after a few such sharpenings or after rocking a chain etc. when I need to really file the cutters back and make sure everything's set nice and uniform for every cutter.

Hey, glad you found a GB mill! Welcome to the world of milling. Be warned it is very addictive. Have fun and holler at us if you need anything. I personally have given up on the 10 degree milling chain and just run regular chain. I also would recommend using an auxilary oiler, even on a 36 inch bar. (My GB's all came with one, did yours?) Sounds like you setup yours exactly the way I set up my first GB. Keeping the chain sharp is probably the single most important part of making everything work well.
Good luck and have fun.

Scott

You guys do know that the size of the chain pitch will affect chain speed just as much as the sprocket size right? I am assuming the original poster and Bmorgan are both runnng 3/8" pitch but it would probably be a good thing to verify your talking apples vs. apples here.

You guys do know that the size of the chain pitch will affect chain speed just as much as the sprocket size right? I am assuming the original poster and Bmorgan are both runnng 3/8" pitch but it would probably be a good thing to verify your talking apples vs. apples here.

I normally assume 3/8" unless the saw in question is an 076 or 090 or something where .404 would be an advantage to get the chain speed up a bit. There's no other upside to using it other than cutter durability, so unless you're working with really dirty bark or beach logs (or milling Ironwood) I can't imagine it being a better choice for an 066. Maybe someone should build a .404 low-profile chain...

I milled some toningt before dark, I just sharpened my full comp chisel chain to 25 deg. and gave it a try. Cutting roughly 26" of wet fresh cut red oak it cuts roughly 1 ft a minute, or an inch every 5 seconds. It's easy to overload the powerhead with the 7 tooth sprocket, I see where a 120cc saw would be used. I'll order a ripping chain sometime but not going to make a special order for it this works fine for now, though I don't know how good a ripping chain will work as I've never used one.

Back