First Milling This Year - Catalpa

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timberwerks

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I start milling Saturday, looking forward to it because it's been a long, cold & slow Winter.

Attachments

• IMG_8241.JPG
    IMG_8241.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_8240.JPG
    IMG_8240.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_8242.JPG
    IMG_8242.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_8243.JPG
    IMG_8243.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 96
20 some plus years ago I had a nice catalpa log, well, as nice as a catalpa yard tree can get - - New to my bandmill, I soon learned why the softer the wood, the more set you needed - The 880's should have no problem with it. Is that a guy wire hanging down it in pic #2 ?

I milled one a friend gave me,

standard.jpg

It made some nice lumber,

SR

Some photos from the day. I hit 2 screws on the third pass, but overall a very easy wood to mill. I'm surprised how light weight it is. 40" dia butt log will be milled in a week or two.

Attachments

• M4.jpg
    M4.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 88
  • M1.jpg
    M1.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 86
  • M2.jpg
    M2.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 84
  • M3.jpg
    M3.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 90
  • M5.jpg
    M5.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 85
Yard trees....hard to find one without a nail or seven in 'em!

Photo labeled M5? Unique stacking....never seen it done quite like that. What is keeping it from just rolling off?
There is some nice straight timber there. Can't wait to see what kind of grain structure the crotch chunks yield....when you going to do them?

Scott (photo's of the mills needed too) B

We just block with wedges to keep from rolling. To bad my helpers reversed the two slabs end for end in the large stack, would have looked nicer in photo. I'm not sure if the crotch will be milled. It developed cracks years ago and most likely has bolts & cable in it.

To bad my helpers reversed the two slabs end for end in the large stack, would have looked nicer in photo.
Yeh, it's hard to get good help anymore. That stacking technique is inefficient in terms of space, but great if you're wanting to keep all the boards together in sequence, and cut thicker slabs out of the center of the log for table tops and such. My woodworking customers really like buying lumber this way, since it makes bookmatching easy, and the color is consistent. You might consider coating the ends with anchorseal (latex paint is better than nothing, though) and putting straps around the ends to keep them from warping. Other than those nails, it looks like you've got some nice lumber.

Yeh, it's hard to get good help anymore. That stacking technique is inefficient in terms of space, but great if you're wanting to keep all the boards together in sequence, and cut thicker slabs out of the center of the log for table tops and such. My woodworking customers really like buying lumber this way, since it makes bookmatching easy, and the color is consistent. You might consider coating the ends with anchorseal (latex paint is better than nothing, though) and putting straps around the ends to keep them from warping. Other than those nails, it looks like you've got some nice lumber.

Yes, nice looking stuff & easy to mill. The homeowner painted the ends after we left. Once the butt log is milled all will be moved for kiln drying. I'll keep a couple slabs for myself & air dry.

Back