First Post - Advice on climbing and positioning please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Botanical

Reaction score
View attachment 187324

Hi there,

This is my first post but I have been reading your forum for a while now to get advice and reviews of equipment and I have found you all to be a very good source of knowledge. Thankyou for that.

So my first question involves climbing. I need to take down the Willow which should be pictured above. but I am not sure how to rig myself into the tree.

A little background on myself at this point so you know where I'm at. I have been working in woodland management / forestry since 1993 in the UK. I had a brief spell in Finland in 95 and then went to university to study Forest Management at degree level. Never did quite take to the whole government approach to forestry and did not suit the whole tie wearing civil servant vibe. So left and taught unemployed kids about land maintenance. Got bored and started a landscaping business where I mostly build ugly patios, but on occasion I get to work with trees and chainsaws, my kind of work. I have been using saws for 20 years or more, I have also been rock climbing for a few years on and off and enjoy both. So I am familiar with both but not both together.

Back to my question:

I need to climb this tree and take it down but I'm not sure how to do it. I can climb the tree that's fine. What about setting a safe rig to protect myself. I can see that I need a nice central anchor to tie in to with my rope, not a problem really. I can find one. This tree as you see is between buildings so I need to get high and take it down in small pieces. Is there a way I can get out from my anchor to the outer twigs to cut them. I need to be careful as there is a telecoms cable running through the tree. What I really mean is what sort of equipment do I need to climb this tree. I have a harness, rope, karabiners, prusiks, and a rope grab but I'm not sure about using them in a tree when there are falling branches around me. What is the basic rigging set up in this situation.

In the big picture this is a small tree but I want to start doing the job properly. I've spent time hanging on polypropylene lines with a chainsaw before and don't like it. Not a good image I know but now I can afford a bit of kit so I would like to do it properly.

Basically need some advice on how to get into this tree and out again with all my limbs...

Thanks

Bo

Bit of a long post I know but its my first so forgive me!

Personally, What I would do with that tree is limb it up where it would clear the fence, get a rope in the top and lay it over very gently in the direction that you are taking the picture from. Of course I would drop the phone line first (or have the telco do it).

Other than that, as small as the tree and limbs appear, you could pretty much hinge the limbs over directionally and hand them down to a helper. drop the top in the direction that you are taking the pic from... It would be better to cut as low as you can and gently lay the who tree over IMO. That's how I would do it anyway.

Dropping the phone line would save you tons of time.

I have a friend that has a saying:

A pole saw is a climbers best friend.

In this case I think he was right. I'm not nearly as good as many others on here but perhaps lighten that tree up from the ground as much as possible. That will make your rope set alot easier. And if you have a pruner head attachment for the poles you can take those branch tips down as small as you like.

I agree with appalachian, a pole saw could easily remove the ends of any of those branches that might cause a problem. If you plan your strategy a little you can maybe leave a branch to protect the wire and bounce some of the other branches off it.
Normally you'd find a high tie in for your climbing line, but I don't think that you'd even have to bother with it in that tree. The way you cut the branch can effect the direction its going to fall(to a degree). That looks like a good practice tree to learn your cuts. A fast downward cut can make a branch fall butt first a way from any hazards, cutting at an angle,slightly downward can some times turn them, lots of little tricks that you'll learn with experience.
When in doubt always take the time to tie it off or whittle it down.
One mishap can cost the whole job, or worse an injury.
If there is glass windows or sliding glass doors, bring a piece of plywood to cover them.
It looks like you shouldn't have to much trouble just think before you cut. Beastmaster

I agree with appalachian, a pole saw could easily remove the ends of any of those branches that might cause a problem. If you plan your strategy a little you can maybe leave a branch to protect the wire and bounce some of the other branches off it.
Normally you'd find a high tie in for your climbing line, but I don't think that you'd even have to bother with it in that tree. The way you cut the branch can effect the direction its going to fall(to a degree). That looks like a good practice tree to learn your cuts. A fast downward cut can make a branch fall butt first a way from any hazards, cutting at an angle,slightly downward can some times turn them, lots of little tricks that you'll learn with experience.
When in doubt always take the time to tie it off or whittle it down.
One mishap can cost the whole job, or worse an injury.
If there is glass windows or sliding glass doors, bring a piece of plywood to cover them.
It looks like you shouldn't have to much trouble just think before you cut. Beastmaster

Ok, thanks guys, seems like an exciting job, not sure I can get the phone line down so care needed. but I do have a pole pruner and have never thought of using it off the ground. Good idea. I will take piece by piece and see how it goes. Any advice on anchor points for my rope. What is my last move?

bo

I don't think positioning is going to be a problem. Just your lanyard around the trunk should be fine.
Some day if you stick with this trade you'll look back at this tree and laugh. Don't over think it.
I would probably do it same as Tree MD, and be done with it. You can sometimes get a way with throwing a rope over the telephone line and pulling it out of the way.
Take your time have fun and learn. Beastmaster

Back when I was learning i was told to just be sure of one thing. don't cut my safety line(lanyard)

I don't think positioning is going to be a problem. Just your lanyard around the trunk should be fine.
Some day if you stick with this trade you'll look back at this tree and laugh. Don't over think it.
I would probably do it same as Tree MD, and be done with it. You can sometimes get a way with throwing a rope over the telephone line and pulling it out of the way.
Take your time have fun and learn. Beastmaster

Back when I was learning i was told to just be sure of one thing. don't cut my safety line(lanyard)

Yes thats why their orange is'nt it

Latest posts

Back