first saw, words of wisdom, want to keep for life

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It took me alot of years for me to figure out I am much happier in the wood pile having the right tool for the job. For many years my "big" saw was my 52cc with a 20" bar because I couldn't "afford" a big saw (or so i thought). I struggled to buck the big logs with it and was generally cumbersome to handle in the small stuff being so nose heavy. I am a firm believer in the minimum 2 saw plan recommended over and over here of 50 & 70 cc's. My 6400 is a little short on that but will handle a 24 inch bar if I ask it to. Built solid and was only $550 otd so was the best value for me to get into a bucking saw. However there is no way I am toting that thing to the top of the tree unless my other saws are broke. That is where the small saws really shine. There are so many variables involved that for me there is no universal chain saw. However, if the wife said I had to downsize to only one saw to feed our boiler, after crying, pouting, throwing a fit, and stomping my feet, it would be any quality (pro) true 60cc class saw like the 357xp my brother used to have. Sometimes not quite big enough, and sometimes not quite small enough.

You're going to get alot of opinons on buy this saw or buy that saw. I am not married to any one brand of saw, so I'm not going to join the Husqy vs Stihl vs Echo vs Dolkita debate. I am of the opinion that if you buy one of the major brands, and get a well reputed pro model they made alot of, you will be able to get parts for it for a long long time. No matter what saw you buy, it won't last you unless you learn a few things. So, here's my advice on making a saw last. First, learn proper maintenance procedures. I've seen saws that look like a pile of wood chips with a handle. They're usually on Ebay or CL, and sold for "parts or repair". Coincidence? Not really. Next, learn to tune it properly, or have it serviced regularly. The best built saw in the world won't last if you tune it wrong. Find a good dealer if you cannot, or have no desire to learn yourself. Finally, learn and follow proper safety procedures. There are lots of ways to kill or maim yourself around trees and saws.

Thanks for the word everybody. very much appreciated. I checked out nearly all of the recommended models and advice and looked around and I think I've got a pretty good grasp on the tiers.
In my area (Tulsa ok) there is not a whole lot of saws on Craigslist and then sales tax is nearly 10% so I couldn't really afford to be all that choosy with a specific and or new model. Well, I could have and I probably should have been but I hesitated to wait to buy a saw tax free near the farm and I was itching to work outside this weekend.

I basically chose to stick with stihl because the dealer I go to is friendly and good with parts and they don't have husky or makita/dolmar.. it also made it a little easier to narrow down options and decide.

So I ended up getting this ms261 ! Had some fun today after struggling along with a ms180 mini boss for the last couple weeks. I spent $480 on everything, the chainsaw, case and sharpener, manual and tools in case y'all are curious or want to make me regret it , ha. Im happy though, i think $450 would have been ideal but I'm working on my negotiation skills

Here's a picture I took last night:
rbjU59V.jpg

Also thanks for the other advice, this is the place to be for chainsaw knowledge I'll see y'all around !! anybody have any suggestions where to read about routine maintenance on saws? I'm looking forward to learning the machine

Thanks for the word everybody. very much appreciated. I checked out nearly all of the recommended models and advice and looked around and I think I've got a pretty good grasp on the tiers.
In my area (Tulsa ok) there is not a whole lot of saws on Craigslist and then sales tax is nearly 10% so I couldn't really afford to be all that choosy with a specific and or new model. Well, I could have and I probably should have been but I hesitated to wait to buy a saw tax free near the farm and I was itching to work outside this weekend.

I basically chose to stick with stihl because the dealer I go to is friendly and good with parts and they don't have husky or makita/dolmar.. it also made it a little easier to narrow down options and decide.

So I ended up getting this ms261 ! Had some fun today after struggling along with a ms180 mini boss for the last couple weeks. I spent $480 on everything, the chainsaw, case and sharpener, manual and tools in case y'all are curious or want to make me regret it , ha. Im happy though, i think $450 would have been ideal but I'm working on my negotiation skills

rbjU59V.jpg

Also thanks for the other advice, this is the place to be for chainsaw knowledge I'll see y'all around !! anybody have any suggestions where to read about routine maintenance on saws? I'm looking forward to learning the machine
Nice clean saw. If you can find ethonol free fuel and use fresh gas and good oil. When storing or not using much, recommend Trufuel or Motomix. Your carburetor will thank you. Also learn to sharpen chain and pick up a couple extra. Some good videos on chain sharpening. Get a pair of chaps. Enjoy.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Free saws in Canada too?
Yes, I think it's a MS361, but it really screams. In fact, I was cutting a window opening in my log house at 11:30 pm drunk as a skunk and the sexy french neighbor came over in her PJ's threatening to call the cops.
I just said, Wow! Are you ever sexy when you're mad!
If the OP wants the 361, my offer is still good.

Words of wisdom, as I once was in a similar situation.

Get a second hand Stihl Farm Boss now. MS290/310/390 don't get much love around here but they are perfectly suited to the job you have to do right now and to start out in the other farm.
They are reasonably priced, Stihl sold millions of them, so everything that could go wrong is well known, aftermarket spares are ridiculously cheap and you can work them for years with no issues and just basic maintenance.
Once you are better off down the road and you have decided what you want to do with with that wood of yours, you can trade your Farm Boss for whatever will be available then. There will always be a market for these saws and as you are buying it used right now it has already taken a hit in depreciation.

The Stihl saw above are gutless heavy and low quality, get a Echo or Dolmar

The 310/390 and their replacement models aren't bad but the 290 has to be the heaviest, gutless POS I have ever seen. I swear my 372 is lighter than those boat anchors.

Nice choice with the 261...that saw should last you many years.

Are you keeping it for the life of the saw or yours?

Trust me, I love my MS461, my 044 and my 372XP. But both my dad and I have cut a lot of wood with a Husqvarna 55. We got it when in 1998. And we had an 046. The 55 handled most of the cutting... And still does for my dad. He still has the 046, but the non-pro level 55 is still the go to.

The moral of the story is that the MS310,390, 311 and 391 are just fine and have done a lot of work for a lot of people. As have the 455/460 Husqvarnas and all their "Rancher" series of saws before that.

If you want to keep a chainsaw for life my recommendation is that you buy a decent, mid level saw now. Keep fresh mix in it and maintain it. It will last you a long time. My current choice in that range would be a 391.

rbjU59V.jpg

You did good i bought the first 261 my dealer got in 4 years ago i think. It has been excellent i use a .325 18 inch bar stihl rs chain i cut mostly hardwood.

Back