First time topping 80 ft pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Have not posted for awhile, but an age/learner question the experts here can help with. First some background.

Needed to take down a 85 ft pine with branches overhanging son's house. Less than 50 ft in any direction to other structures, so needed to take down in pieces.

So, 2nd of 3 grandsons is 14 YO, very athletic. He was all for climbing, enough branches so no spikes needed.
DIL a little apprehensive, but my son (DIL husband) climbed a 160 ft DF in our yard a lot higher freehand when he was that age - just to be able to see the mountain.

So, got the 14 YO all harnessed up, self and his school chum were belayers. Free climbed to about 65 ft where there was still a 6" dia trunk. Tied off and went up another 5 feet to tie in a pull line as top was leaning toward house.
Using short trimming hand saw (freshly sharpened), he dropped the top 20 ft right into the available open spot.
He was pretty proud of himself, as was first relatively high topping - he has dropped 10" DBH trees from ground level by himself, way back to some 4" at age 3 with machete no less <G>

The age question:

When do (or have) you start to let family members use a chain saw for topping?

Obviously > 18 YO if commercial.
Own thoughts were 14 YO still does not have full strength (although he is stronger than 'old grandpa' is now) for a chainsaw up high, although my rule of thumb for the kids/grandkid use of axes and CS is you can use it if you can hold it for 1 min at straight arm's length which he can (I cannot do that anymore myself!). However, in a tree is a whole 'nuther story.

Find me one person who can hold an 880 with a 42" bar out at arms length for a min! Haha

First removal I climbed with full gear I was 16 and it was no pine tree I started flopping trees when I was 13 and I took many many trees most 20-30" dbh I think I was 15 when I was handed a 32cc.saw with a 16" bar and was told to turn a 50"x 20'd maple log into fire wood.

"...Free climbed to about 65 ft...my son (DIL husband) climbed a 160 ft DF in our yard a lot higher freehand..."

Good to hear that these adventures had non-tragic endings. Please consider buying your grandson the inexpensive and excellent "Tree Climber's Companion"

I want a 160' anything in my front yard, The tallest tree I climbed was only 120' and I didn't break the 100' mark, I' measured it out at only 95' :(.

I didn't use a chainsaw till I was 18. I wouldn't trust my younger self with a chainsaw on the ground till at least 14 and in a tree probably older. However I didn't grow up with any family in the tree industry. My father never owned a chainsaw.

Back