first time you started using a chainsaw what was it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Around the age of 13 my dad let me run his 480 Husky all by myself with him right behind me.

I think my first saw was a pioneer P25, not the P35 I have mentioned in the past. The saw was a Christmas present from my mom in 1973. I was 20 years old. That little saw was really rugged and hardly ever broke down. I just wore it out cutting firewood. BTW I owned that saw for about 3 weeks before I was contracting out tp PG&E clearing power lines rights of way.

I had really never run a saw before the Pioneer but I was around all sorts of chainsaws on the ranch and in the woods near here. They were all yellow saws. I had the good fortune of working with an old time faller for a stretch and learned how to gun trees at a young age. Mostly I dragged brush. I didn't like it then and I don't like it now.

The first new saw I ran that was all mine to use was a 909G Homelite. That was around 62 or 63 I think. I got it because I was the kid on the crew, everybody else was running Macs, and nobody wanted the damn thing. It had a 60" bar and I think it weighed more than I did.:laugh:

Latest posts

Back