First Year Stihl Lightning ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh A.

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
This is my latest barn find...minus a squirt with the hose, this is how it came. Metal red hood. Fairbanks Morse starter that looks like it is stock. Different muffler. 5 digit motor number. Gold, coarse paint. Someone has put some other rattle-can over the top. This is a lot different than my other Lightning.

Anyone have some info? I know a fair (little, probably) amount about the 1106, but this is new to me.

Thanks

Indeed I think you have a very early saw and it's the muffler thats the big thing for me along with the bonnet it just says first year.
Well done and hope to hear it's a runner even if it's not it's still an important saw.

Yes, it is indeed a runner. I have an extra HL Tillotson carb kit (May be HD...going off memory) that should fit it. I have only started it. It needs carb work.. I hope to get a little elbow grease on it in the next few days. Eventually it will be restored.

It is a good day!

Does it have an old school B and M recoil assembly? Let me know on the carb I have a Tilli hl-244 I pulled off my 090 if you need it

I had to leave, other plans. But it does have a Fairbanks Morse starter, and the carb is WAY different than my other. I think ( from what I've read, it is the original Bing carb... Of which I know nothing about.

Hey guys,
This is my latest barn find...minus a squirt with the hose, this is how it came. Metal red hood. Fairbanks Morse starter that looks like it is stock. Different muffler. 5 digit motor number. Gold, coarse paint. Someone has put some other rattle-can over the top. This is a lot different than my other Lightning.

Anyone have some info? I know a fair (little, probably) amount about the 1106, but this is new to me.

Thanks

Josh...

Take a look at this thread - I think it will answer a lot of your questions:

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/165224.htm

Thanks 7Oaks.

I finally had a couple minutes to actually look the saw over. It really is fascinating. The other thread talks about the hood, or bonnet, being sand cast. The entire saw is full of sand mold imperfections, and hand grinder marks much like is on all the old mufflers. The entire metal body of the saw has a gold hue to it under the paint. They are all factory imperfections. My other Lightning, which is in much poorer condition, has virtually smooth finish to it's metal case and tank. Another area of interest is where the sight glass on the oil tank usually is, there is no glass...but you can see the impression of what appears to be the outside diameter in the casting, with grind marks in the center. It looks like it was in the mold, but they plugged, or eliminated it for production run. I wonder if there was a question of durability or problems with leakage that they did not have fixed by production???

It does have the original Bing carburetor. The biggest imperfection is the crack in the clutch cover. It also seems that most all of the parts are stamped, with most of them coinciding with the motor number.

The cylinder definitely looks different than the other Lightning I have.

Here are some close up pics.

Maybe this can be piggy-backed to the tin top thread, But there has to be more info on this topic.

Might be a long thread, but if this doesn't get you going......

Does it have an old school B and M recoil assembly? Let me know on the carb I have a Tilli hl-244 I pulled off my 090 if you need it

Thanks, I did however find that it is sporting a Bing carburetor. It is quite unique. There is no throttle butterfly. Instead, there is a solid metal drum with a hole machined cross-way the size of the carb's throat. When you open the throttle, the drum rotates. At WOT there is no restriction in the throat, save for the choke butterfly. Very cool! I have not seen this set-up on a chainsaw before.

Latest posts

Back