Advice needed for log splitter engine shaft off by 5/8", cannot find an adapter...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cascadejack

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first post so I guess that makes me a greenhorn on the site...

Anyways, I have a brave 28 ton (underrated I was told, probably about 30-32 tons) log splitter with a Barnes 16 gpm 2 stage pump. The engine that it came with is an 8hp briggs and stratton horizontal shaft, with a 3 1/2" shaft. I bought a Briggs 11HP motor to swap out for the 8hp, but it has a shorter shaft than the 8hp the splitter came with. It is about 2 7/8" vs about 3.5" on the 8HP motor.

I have tried to install the pump but the original 'BRAVE' mounting bracket is too long for this 11 hp engine. This bracket measures 5 3/8" in length.

So I think I need the 4 7/8" bracket that Northern sells correct? Is this the proper bracket? Do I have to buy a new bracket???

Then even after putting that bracket on there I will have to move the lovejoy connector exactly 1/8" beyond the end of the shaft on the 11hp replacement engine. I think that should do it, and I will be fine. (5 3/8 minus 4 7/8 is 1/2 inch or 4/8" so I need another 1/8" to make the 2 lovejoy connectors mate up solid, and I just slipped the connector on the engine 1/8" beyond the shorter shaft to make up for it and took all my measurements)

So I am just looking for some confirmation that I am correct in my calculations, the 11HP is model # 252412, type 551501, code 92040310, it looks very similar to the engine I am replacing but there are a few minor differences, it is also 11hp vs 8hp, and in a lot better shape than the old original 8hp.
(They are both the older style engines, all black, same logos on the recoil housing, almost identical in appearance)

I want to keep the original bracket and the original 8hp engine, as I am sort of particular about keeping things original even if you make modifications, you keep the stock parts also. (Just in case it won't work with the 11hp for some reason) It is the same shaft diameter, 1", keyed shaft, and just about 5/8" shorter than the 8hp is all. (The 8HP motor needs a new/used carb housing and air filter, and starter recoil, by the way)

I think I have to buy the shorter bracket as I can not make up the difference with any lovejoy connectors or any other gizmo's I can find. Is there a way to hook this up without buying the shorter mounting bracket? A lovejoy coupler? Or a crankshaft extension of some type? And it is only 5/8" to make up, so ring collars and all that might get in the way of a good fit, but I could also put spacers on the end of the 5 3/8 bracket to get a 1" keyed shaft extension on there with a ring collar... (I do not have pictures of this, sorry)

The bracket is going to cost about 80$ after shipping and that just seems like a crying shame to spend that much but I will if I have to.

Basically my engine shaft is too short and I need some way of adding 5/8" to make it up but the lovejoy's do not seem to have enough room to do that, and the lovejoy on the pump is rusted on, frozen to the pump shaft basically. I think the bracket might be the best way to go, but if anyone knows another way I can do this, short of welding, I would appreciate it. (I thought of an extra thick lovejoy connector on the pump or engine might make up the difference somehow, but I cannot figure this out, as they all seem to be about the same length to me)

I also figure people in this forum know what I am talking about, or I sure hope someone does, but I am being overly detailed to make sure it is clear.

I don't think I want to disconnect the pump as I drained the fluid before I did all this work. A pump with a longer shaft would do it also. (but more expensive than a new mounting bracket)

It just seems that there has to be some way to connect this, without buying a new bracket! I just am not seeing or finding it on google, or my searches on here.

And the only other issue is if that motor will work with the splitter, but I am pretty sure it just needs to spin at the right rpm, as I have been told the pump doesn't care about the extra 3HP, but the minumum HP for a 2 stage 16gpm pump is an 8hp and I even called brave about this and they said up to 11hp would work.

I got lucky finding this engine out of a pressure washer, but the shaft is not the same as the 8HP, and the mounting bolts to secure the engine to the log splitter chassis are slightly different but still align so I can mount the engine solidly.

I am not supposed to post links on this site so it is the "Concentric/Haldex engine to pump bracket 4 7/8" length" with the 6" diameter bolt pattern on the engine. (As opposed to the 3.5 or so on the smaller engines) Also my pump has the 4 bolt pattern, not the 2 bolt.

I guess I will stop here and check back later. Thanks for any advice on this issue, I really appreciate it. I am going to do some research on the engine now, and sign out of the site.

I am in the Seattle area also, so if anyone who knows where I can get parts around here, I would appreciate it. (A Hydraulic's supplier is what I am guessing) I need a "shaft extenstion of some type" or the shorter mounting bracket for 80$ and I have to have that shipped to Seattle.

So I guess I got the "short shaft" is what I am jokingly saying! I am hoping there is an easy fix... Thanks if anyone knows the part I need for less than 80 bucks and shipping time to Seattle... and where I can get the part also! I could cut my bracket and reweld it, but that seems like it would cost more than 80$ and then I am "desecrating" the holy log splitter... Just looking for some ideas and comments, jokes, etc... Thanks again,

CJ

Welcome to AS

I'm just up I-5 from ya about hour drive in Deadwood :)

Sorry I cant help ya with your splitter my splitter is a manual splitter

First of all, I have a short attention span & your question is very long-winded. That said, & if I understood you correctly, you know of an $80 fix (new bracket), but are looking for a cheaper solution?? Not trying to be a tool, but $80 is nothing to spend on adapter(s) for an engine swap. Sounds like you're trying to re-invent the wheel to save a couple bucks, I don't see that quest being successful.

There are other brands of couplers, Magnalloy is a very good one we use up to 2 or 3 inch shafts, that will take a 5/8 gap easily. Basically, the bodies are a bit longer and the rubber center is different.

That said, I expect by the time you go the industrial supply route to changed the coupler you will pay more than $80 difference. Biggest difference is sheer volume of production and cheaper design on the high volume consumer stuff.

I would pay the $80, it is a one time cost, then you can change out inserts and couplers later using the same cheaper logsplitter parts as replacements.

Aint nuthin' to it

You just whip out your 700 mig welder and cut up a bed frame for the angle iron, carve up a couple hunks of plate steel, drill one to match the pump, and the other to match the engine. Make the angle iron legs the correct length, and align everything with a couple of hose clamps on the lovejoy. Easy, I done a couple of them that-a-way.

Oh, is a factory adapter available for your application? Might be simpler to just bolt it all together....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Sincerely,
-Pat

Going with the factory Mounting plate idea, photo posted

Here is the factory plate I was talking about:

View attachment 245220

I can get it for 70$, on ebay, so I am probably just going to go with that one.

I could possibly weld two 1" inner bore L-095 lovejoy connectors back to back and put them onto the shaft, then leave a 5/8" gap on the connector on the end of the shaft, but at 3600 rpm's and 11HP according to lovejoy's installation catalog that would be out of tolerance.

Having a gap of 1/8" or 0.125" with the new mounting bracket is just within the tolerances, according to my interpretations of the data on lovejoy's website for the L-095 connector. Better go with the new bracket, for safety and all that, even though all the engine is doing is spinning a pump, it is probably best to go with an engineered bracket than some old "bed frames, for example....

Appreciate the ideas though, I thought of making my own bracket also....

Welding 2 lovejoys together or some solution like that seems to be the cheapest way possible for anyone else in the future having this happen...

I think it would actually work, but I will leave that to the forum to ponder over... It would be a double length lovejoy coupling is all, I also found other adapters out there, but they don't quite do what I am looking for.

The homemade mounting bracket is low cost, the 2 lovejoys, is low-cost, the bracket is 70$ so that is probably low cost also after all the hassles with the other 2 solutions... My other idea is 3" threaded pipe, with flange ends, drill holes for mounting, but still need a plate at the pump end. I still might try and do that... make my own bracket basically... Rob and duplicate...

Thanks everyone, and I am signing out... Problem has been addressed, and solutions have been proposed, if I order the bracket then it is a done deal!

The missus says I could have chopped a whole cord of wood by hand in the time spent typing on the computer! But I have to get the logsplitter up and running, that is all that matters right now. Otherwise it is just scrap in the yard...

Happy Woodburning... View attachment 245232

Bracket purchased, thanks for the advice and/or opinions

I just bought the bracket it was just under 70$ with shipping, so now it will be a simple matter of installing it in the logsplitter.

Feel free to comment if you want, I think this was the best choice and not too expensive.

Total cost so far:

Logsplitter used with 8hp motor: 350$
11HP replacement motor: 150$
Hydraulic fluid and new filter: 50$
Mounting Bracket: 70$
Tire repair: 50$
Total 670$ over 4 years, no wood split yet...

Lots of wood split with 8lb maul at 30$ appx....

Future items: Bigger axle with 14" wheels, estimate 150-200$.

Not bad, also with the 11HP motor and bracket otherwise it cost me less than 500$ but I did not have to do any engine work, just swapped it out.

I think to fix the 8hp motor may have been almost worth it in retrospect, and I could still fix it, and sell the 11horse I suppose.

So 220$ to swap the engine... My advice to others is to get the proper shaft length engine, if at all possible. I hope this helps anyone trying to do an engine swap on thier log splitter!

CJ

spanning the gaps

I thought about doing that actually windwlkr, I am just afraid the torque would eventually be too much but perhaps it would work that way. The lovejoy connector on the pump is frozen solid to the pump shaft, I guess a puller would get it off of there though.

I might just try that and see if it works, then when my mounting bracket arrives I can do it the right way, or the more "correct way".

I don't think there is any right or wrong way to set up the pump, and after reading about this on other posts, other forums, I guess the pump just has to spin, and that is pretty much it. I do have a tendency to overthink things I am not an expert at, so I appreciate your idea, and I will give it a try!

I am going to repost about my fluids and hydraulics as I have some more questions about that. (This is my first log splitter I have ever bought, set up, etc, but I have had it for 4 years, and had to get it going or get rid of it...)

Over and Out,

CascadeJack :bowdown:

Hello There. i think i have a solution to your problem. why don't you just cut down the pump mount bracket that you already have and shorten it then re weld it after you have shortened the bracket down. just cut what length you need out of the middle and shorten it. that is one way and a second way is you could take a old shaft and cut the extra length shaft you need off and put it on your short shaft to make what Length shaft you need. it will stay together with a long piece of key way stock connected to both ends of the shaft and the love joy coupler so it cannot move. i have done this before with a 6hp engine and the engine was from a snow blower with a short shaft so i extended the shaft with another piece of shaft off another motor and using the long key stock i connected both shafts together with the Love joy coupler and the mounting bracket helps hold everything tight.

Hello There. i think i have a solution to your problem. why don't you just cut down the pump mount bracket that you already have and shorten it then re weld it after you have shortened the bracket down. just cut what length you need out of the middle and shorten it. that is one way and a second way is you could take a old shaft and cut the extra length shaft you need off and put it on your short shaft to make what Length shaft you need. it will stay together with a long piece of key way stock connected to both ends of the shaft and the love joy coupler so it cannot move. i have done this before with a 6hp engine and the engine was from a snow blower with a short shaft so i extended the shaft with another piece of shaft off another motor and using the long key stock i connected both shafts together with the Love joy coupler and the mounting bracket helps hold everything tight.
8 year old thread, hope he has figured it out by now. No worries, most everyone has done that.

i use vertical engines on mine. I have a series of holes for different types of engines. I find those engines are more available and the love joy always lines up to whatever i put on there. To make sure i have a perfect alignment, i use a ring compressor to align them, then tighten the engine down.

Back