fiskars x27

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean the $175 Gransfors splitting maul? :)

I'm 5'9", and the shorter handled Fiskars works sweet for me. Split some 28 inch rounds of black ash and birch the other day, and on the toughest of them it took two blows to split down the middle, always assuming one wants to split a bigger round down the middle. Mostly, I work around the edges to make corners and keep shrinking the round. A lot less work that way no matter which ax you use. Anyway, if I want to split it down the middle on those bigger tougher rounds, the first hard blow with the fiskars makes a big crack all the way through, with the second blow taking it fully apart.

I used both sizes before I bought, and the longer handle just didn't work as well for me.

Didn't know the price was that high now. I bought the maul 69.99 and the splitting axe 59.99 new off of ebay about 8 years ago. Both still have the original edge. I burn around 6 cords per year, so they see a lot of use.

There is just something about using a tool that someone put their initials on. You can go the the Gransfors website and e-mail the actual person who made the axe.

I would have liked to get the shorter handle, but for 34.99 I went with the X27.

I agree with your approach with splitting. If I can't half then quarter it easily I start on the outside and work my way to the middle. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice axe, but I really love the Gransfors.

I'll spend some time with it this morning on a little Sycamore. That should be fun!

MP5N

I now have one of each, 25 and 27. I split my wood on a couple of old pine stumps i left in my yard after the tree died. The short one works great on the stump thats thigh high, the longer one works fine on the much shorter stump. Ive got a 6 and 8 pound maul, several other axes, wedges, chopper axe with the little built in spreading wedges, but im liking these Fiskars more each time i pick one up. They get my stuff split with less effort than before and thats the goal im looking for.

I've been meaning to pick up one of these for over a year. I think the longer one would work better for me at 6' then the shorter one. I used a shorter one and I felt bent over an awful lot.

It depends on your height (I'm 5'7") and whether you split on a block, or on the ground. I use the X25 on a block.

In retrospect, my block is about 6-8" too tall, but the handle length is right. I even shank the 25 on occasion, so the 27 would be overkill. I've got an old Garant axe that I've always used the same length handle on it since forever, and the 25 is the same length as the Garant.

I picked up my X27 and tried it. The price was right too! I like it, but must admit, I only tried it on some very nice straight pieces of red and white oak. It went through very easily as I expected it to. I also compared it to my other favorite splitting mauls. I have 4 lb (My favorite), a couple of different styled 6lb, and 8 lb mauls. I like this X27. In measuring the handles, my other 4 lb maul has a 32 inch handle. I think the ultimate sized handle for this x27 would be a 32 inch handle, as it would handle a little better in my opinion. This 36 inch handle is a little long for my liking. That nice coating does not last very long either once you start using it. ;) :D

All in all, it is a nice splitting maul. Fiskars uses a long handle, a lighter head design and swing speed to achieve the same results that many other mauls also achieve.

257380d1350319866-img_4052-jpg

257381d1350319871-img_4053-jpg

257382d1350319876-img_4054-jpg

257383d1350319880-img_4057-jpg

Last edited:
I now have one of each, 25 and 27. I split my wood on a couple of old pine stumps i left in my yard after the tree died. The short one works great on the stump thats thigh high, the longer one works fine on the much shorter stump. Ive got a 6 and 8 pound maul, several other axes, wedges, chopper axe with the little built in spreading wedges, but im liking these Fiskars more each time i pick one up. They get my stuff split with less effort than before and thats the goal im looking for.

I'm 5'9" and have both - I much prefer the 36" X27. I split on the ground in 35-40 diameter circular groups starting in the center (they can't fall down).

On my fiskars I polished off the coating and made it nice and smooth and sharp. Has anybody else done this and noticed a dif over the factory coating?

I believe Zogger mentioned that his original Super Splitter would stick more in the wood if it didn't split, when the coating wore off. I'd want to keep it on there as long as possible. Mind you if you polished it up like a mirror and sprayed silicone on it, it'd likely not stick much either.

I believe Zogger mentioned that his original Super Splitter would stick more in the wood if it didn't split, when the coating wore off. I'd want to keep it on there as long as possible. Mind you if you polished it up like a mirror and sprayed silicone on it, it'd likely not stick much either.

It doesn't stick in the wood when polished.

Ive had the little X11 since may and i love that little thing. Good for smackin branches off pine/spruce on the way up. I actually took down a spruce with it, it was about 12" diameter. It throws huge chips for being so small. Id love to get the X27 but right now the splitter works just fine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back