Fiskars x39 "Spalthammer"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailmaker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just stumbled across this series of heavier splitting mauls by fiskars. Looks like they are only available in Europe for now.

x39
1296467199-31861.jpg

x46
1296467692-1901.jpg

x37
1296465080-20063.jpg

It's interesting to see what they've got over there.

They look nice, but do you know the difference between them and my wood handled maul? Nothing, because I can somehow break even the most high-speed looking handles with ease:bang:

They look nice, but do you know the difference between them and my wood handled maul? Nothing, because I can somehow break even the most high-speed looking handles with ease:bang:

You've broken one of these handles? You did something wrong. :dizzy:

I have chopped plenty of branches and such up with the Fiskars hatchet I have. It needs to be sharpened, if anything. Otherwise, it's fine.

id love to see you break a handle on a fiskars axe...
you must be putting out more force than a full size truck running it over while propped up at a 45 degree angle.. :dizzy: :msp_thumbdn:

Check your aim...

Synthetic hammer head?

Is that a synthetic head on the x39? For getting whacked with another hammer or driving wedges? Wonder what it is made of, and why not steel?

either way..if it is fiskars...ME WANT. I own five fiskars tools right now, all excellent and the prices are very competitive, even including cheap chicom stuff. How they do it, no idea, but glad they do.

I wish they made a pro quality folding lock blade pocket knife, with a tool steel blade. Something that would only need sharpening like once a decade or so.... I pretty much only ever carry schrade old timers..but I love my fiskars filet knife. Use that all the time cutting up bass and chickens.

I'll definitely get these mauls if they are available.
I have the X25; it is nice but not good for knotted rounds and wet rounds. I ended up using my traditional sharpen 8# maul more and more each day. I discovered that a sharp maul is more efficient than a dull maul.

So how heavy are these Fiskars mauls?

I'll definitely get these mauls if they are available.
I have the X25; it is nice but not good for knotted rounds and wet rounds. I ended up using my traditional sharpen 8# maul more and more each day. I discovered that a sharp maul is more efficient than a dull maul.

So how heavy are these Fiskars mauls?

The x46 is 4600g or about 10 pounds
x39 is 3900g or about 8.5 pounds
x36 is 3680g or about 8 pounds

I think this is how all of the new x series are named, the x27 is probably about 2700g.

Is that a synthetic head on the x39? For getting whacked with another hammer or driving wedges? Wonder what it is made of, and why not steel?

either way..if it is fiskars...ME WANT. I own five fiskars tools right now, all excellent and the prices are very competitive, even including cheap chicom stuff. How they do it, no idea, but glad they do.

I wish they made a pro quality folding lock blade pocket knife, with a tool steel blade. Something that would only need sharpening like once a decade or so.... I pretty much only ever carry schrade old timers..but I love my fiskars filet knife. Use that all the time cutting up bass and chickens.

Most of the info on these mauls is in German, but I'm pretty sure its some type of polymer thats supposed to eliminate the shrapnel you can get from pounding steel with steel. They sell a wedge that has this same polymer on it. I think the polymer cylinder can be replaced after it gets worn down, which would be pretty handy depending on how those cylinders hold up.

This page shows the wedge and what looks like a replacement polymer cylinder.

Good fiskars x39 stuff in All Categories! | WatchedItem.com

Looked it up on a German website. I have seen other "spalthammers" with a synthetic stricking head. I think this is called ultra high molecular weight plastic or UHMW plastic. I have an outboard jet boat with a lower unit machined from UHMW plastic. It seems to be super high strength. I have seen metal grain handling shoots that were lined with this stuff. You will never get a flying chip or a spark from that hammer. If my conversions are correct it is 6.6#, 35.43ins long, and sells for about $151.00
Thanks
Tom

Thanks for the info Jensent. Did the other "spalthammer" you saw look like this?
402-P5090109.jpg

This is a "Leborgne" spalthammer. I'm pretty sure it's a re-branded Fiskars. Good for Packers and Ducks fans.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Jensent. Did the other "spalthammer" you saw look like this?
402-P5090109.jpg

This is a "Leborgne" spalthammer. I'm pretty sure it's a re-branded Fiskars. Good for Packers and Ducks fans.

Trailmaker
I have seen the "Leborgne" and it does look like a re-branded Fiskers. The other one I have seen and considered is marketed by a German firm named Halder. They have an office in Waukesha,Wi. They were very freindly and offered to send the maul out on approval! It was the $150usd that sidetracked me.
Edit: The weight I posted earlier is probably only for the head. Also the striking caps on the ones I've seen are threaded and screws off. Some model have optional striking caps for different purposes.
Tom

I had that same problem. I could destroy any maul in 2 days on the wood pile. Sledge and wedge was the only way I split. Had my Fiskars for 2 seasons now. Love it.

Trailmaker
I have seen the "Leborgne" and it does look like a re-branded Fiskers. The other one I have seen and considered is marketed by a German firm named Halder. They have an office in Waukesha,Wi. They were very freindly and offered to send the maul out on approval! It was the $150usd that sidetracked me.
Edit: The weight I posted earlier is probably only for the head. Also the striking caps on the ones I've seen are threaded and screws off. Some model have optional striking caps for different purposes.
Tom

I'll be damned, I've never seen those Halder splitters, even though they've got an office in WI. My splitter addiction disorder is really flaring up now:msp_w00t:

3007160.jpg

3007750.jpg

Latest posts

Back