Fiskars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdc123

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Finally got out in the woods today. Bought a Fiskars long-handled splitting axe after hearing so many good reviews of it. Best hand splitter I've ever used. I still haven't got it into some real big stuff or anything tough like hickory, but I figure it will do good there too.

I tried splitting some hickory over the past year with my X27. That stuff is a beast! I managed to open one side, flip it over and open the other side leaving both gaps at least an inch wide, but the center wood just kept holding on. I had less trouble splitting 4 foot long by 24 inches across oak rounds, than one 18 inch long by twelve inches across round! I doubt any splitting axe regardless of the quality or make could split that stuff with ease. It might even give a good number of gas or electric splitters a tough time. BUT, I wouldn't trade my Fiskars X27 for anything!

The Oak Rounds: (yep, posted several times over the last year)
IMG_0574_zps6f4dbd67.jpg

Last edited:
Storm,

Try a chopping block, you would be surprized how much differance it will make in splitting tuff wood...

Thanks, I'll have to give it a try! :msp_w00t: I usually just do it on the ground, sometimes with a tire to hold multiple rounds. I guess the next big tree I fell, I'll make a few thick cookies, one as a stand alone block, and the other with the tire attached.

A block helps some hut sometimes wrestling those big rounds up on some is more work. A nice thick cookie or a low stump works pretty good.

I have an x27 and a 6# maul.

I love the x27, but I feel the heavier maul is better for going through bigger round than 12" diameter.

I split a bunch of green 24" maple rounds today. The maul worked great as the x27 had some difficulty.

Just my opinion on what I've noticed here.

Great tool. Well worth the $50.

I have an;
X27
X25
X15
and several hatchets.

All are exceptional tools well worth their cost.

A block helps some hut sometimes wrestling those big rounds up on some is more work. A nice thick cookie or a low stump works pretty good.

I am still using my original, 8" round of Black Locust. Still shows no sign of breaking up but the "using face" is beginning to 'dish' in a bit from all the Fiskar's hits.

Harry K

I have an x27 and a 6# maul.

I love the x27, but I feel the heavier maul is better for going through bigger round than 12" diameter.

I split a bunch of green 24" maple rounds today. The maul worked great as the x27 had some difficulty.

Just my opinion on what I've noticed here.

Great tool. Well worth the $50.

Agree. There is no one tool that does everything. The few nay sayers about the Fiskar's that show up in these threads are the ones who expected it to be a miracle tool and replace mauls, wedge/sledge, etc.

Harry K

When I split by hand, I also use more than one tool. I take the X27 and an 8lb. maul with me. Wedge and sledge stay in the barn these days.

My arsenal is he Fiskar's, 6 or 8lb maul (so old I can't read the number), wedge and 10 lb sledge.

Usual progression is wedge/sledge to bust the bigger rounds in half, Fiskar's, maul to bust open the cross grain/knotty stuff that the Fiskar's couldn't handle without wearing oneself out hacking at it.

Harry K

My arsenal is he Fiskar's, 6 or 8lb maul (so old I can't read the number), wedge and 10 lb sledge.

Usual progression is wedge/sledge to bust the bigger rounds in half, Fiskar's, maul to bust open the cross grain/knotty stuff that the Fiskar's couldn't handle without wearing oneself out hacking at it.

Harry K

I have a crate on a hand truck with all my splitting gear. fiskars SS, 8lb maul, 8lb (I think, might be a six..hmmm) sledge, two steel wedges, utility axe (for debarking)

If that stuff doesn't work, back on a pile, get a roundtuit and have a noodle party once in awhile.

I see my Home Depot sells a 28 inch and a 36 inch fiskars axe. Never having used one im wondering which length i should get?? Im thinking the 36 inch ?

I see my Home Depot sells a 28 inch and a 36 inch fiskars axe. Never having used one im wondering which length i should get?? Im thinking the 36 inch ?
I would get the longer handle. My buddy has an x25 and x27,. The x27 seems noticeably easier to "snap" at the end of the swing. Both work well, but the x27 is my choice.

Back