Fixin a cracked crankcase.....yeah.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can get a plastics welder dirt cheap when on sale at Horrible Fright and Trash (Harbor Freight and Tool) that with a bit of work can be made into a great little plastics welder, thatw orks great. The thing needs an adjustable rheostat to control heat output and its easy to add by using a light dimmer switch from any big box store for about $6.00

Epoxies of any kind are just a temp or stop gap mathod and unless the epoxy can melt into and bond with the base material its doomed to fail on most any plastic material its applied to. Plastic does not have enoujgh tooth to properly bond adhesives correctly..........(plastics like HDPE por HDPP etc etc are lost causes when it comes to using glues or adhesives but respond great with hot air welding process, plus you can find all kinds of other uses to use that plastic welder for later on too.

I have a real nice professional (USA made) hot-air plastic welder... and it won't work for that case. The case material is PA66-GF (glass filled nylon), and quite thick in that area - you'd need to V it out aboiut 3/8 inch, and back fill it with the samew materiail.. quite difficult with GF nylon.

Epoxy on the other hand stick quite nicely to the glass fibers in the nylon.. but I still wouldn't use it for that repair.

I'd vote trash it too. Looks too far gone to attempt a repair for a device meant to be held close to your body and spin sharp metal bits around at high speed.

Latest posts

Back