Fixing gloves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am now patching the holes in my leather gloves. I hate throwing away a good pair of gloves becuase one or two fingers have holes.

I tried covering the holes with Gorilla tape. Works great and seem to outlast the original leather. 'A short piece wrapped around the finger while wearing the glove works great for me.

I always wear holes in the fingers and thumb of the left glove. I don't patch them, rather I wait till it happens again to another pair, then turn one of the good right hand gloves inside out and I have a pair ready for work.

P1040749.JPG

restored pair.JPG

Doesn't last long. So, I gave up on leather and switched to Atlas, light weight for most of the year, thermal for the very coldest:

IMG_9248.JPG

They last longer, but aren't good for a season either. They are cheaper, and I just by them by the dozen.

I am now patching the holes in my leather gloves. I hate throwing away a good pair of gloves becuase one or two fingers have holes. I tried covering the holes with Gorilla tape. Works great and seem to outlast the original leather. 'A short piece wrapped around the finger while wearing the glove works great for me.
hi tk - seems like I am patching a hole in gloves, too. I use contact cement and leather patches I make from glove pieces... works real good. an occasional recement need will arise from time to time. just did the index on one of my leather gloves. thread came out after working with oak firewood. now good as new. I have quite a few pairs of gloves. 4/5 pairs leather. some still new. some my favs. the favs wear out fastest. lol.

P6030001.JPG

I always wear holes in the fingers and thumb of the left glove. I don't patch them, rather I wait till it happens again to another pair, then turn one of the good right hand gloves inside out and I have a pair ready for work. View attachment 782033 View attachment 782034 They last longer, but aren't good for a season either. They are cheaper, and I just by them by the dozen.

I got some of those, too. just try to get a L & a R... but mostly for workers. or really tuff jobs I don't want to use better ones for...

Good old Bish tear mender will probably work for you. https://www.tearmender.com/ I have used it to repair countless boat canvas covers/tops. Its pricy but readily available in TSC or Walmart.

never heard of it before. but looks good. I saved the link. I got some stuff I could use such on. thanks.

I fixed this leather pair. had holes. I liked them. took some care and time... but came out real good. back in service and holding up well. i let them sit for a few days after contact cementing them. maybe a week. I fancied them up a bit with adding the deWalt moniker off another pair that was shot. black fingers got repair. black is leather from donor pair. contact cement. repairs hold well. I use them often. my go-to's for ruff n tumble work... P6030002.JPG P6030003.JPG P6030004.JPG

I am now patching the holes in my leather gloves. I hate throwing away a good pair of gloves becuase one or two fingers have holes.

I tried covering the holes with Gorilla tape. Works great and seem to outlast the original leather. 'A short piece wrapped around the finger while wearing the glove works great for me.

What do you add inside the tape at the spot of the glove's hole to keep it from sticking to your finger?

My dad has been using that trick for years. He ends up getting way more time out of pair due to this.

Back