Fixing gloves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People come to our house while I am out working wearing gloves would think we are penny less. Only my very newest have not been wrapped with duct tape around the fingers.

Duct tape wears out so I rewrap them.

:D Al
Why would anyone do that?

Attachments

• IMG_20191223_092635652.jpg
    IMG_20191223_092635652.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 21
I use plenty of duct tape which extends glove life very well. I always have several pair that really are not worth while to salvage. So I cut a few good patches out of old gloves then use contact cement to cover up holes. I apply plenty of cement to patches and let it dry. The gloves with holes get the same treatment, but only wait about an hour then apply patch. The patches turn out to be really tough. Thanks

I just buy bags of the glove liners from tsc or harbor freight and where them till they get wet and grab another pair. There also handy for the urgent poop in the woods cuz there nice and soft. I generally don’t wear gloves unless it’s below 10 degrees anyways. It drives everybody nuts at work because there trying to grab nails or screws with giant leather gloves on and it’s nearly impossible and then there is me no gloves and one sweat shirt on like it’s 50 out and they look like a kindergartner who got dressed by there mom for a snow day.

Dad and I used to have a guy who hunted here who would bring us gloves they used for 1 shift at his job then tossed.They were a yellow thermal knit with a vinyl or plastic outer rib diagonally across. Tough and if you did get a hole,they were ambidextrous. Were relatively warm and breathable.

I think I saw some on Bailey's website.

I am now patching the holes in my leather gloves. I hate throwing away a good pair of gloves becuase one or two fingers have holes.

I tried covering the holes with Gorilla tape. Works great and seem to outlast the original leather. 'A short piece wrapped around the finger while wearing the glove works great for me.

The key to using gorilla tape is to temper the tape over a flame (I use my propane stovetop.) Put on a layer, temper/melt it lightly, let it cool for ~15 seconds, and apply more tape. Temper/melt the new layer. For the glove I'm repairing, I wear it during the whole process. Then I hold another glove in the opposite hand and use it to smooth out the edges that like to curl/flare. Generally, I apply at least three layers of tape. I also tear the tape into different widths so there is no waste or excess material on the glove.

I don't have a photo handy at the moment to post.

What do you add inside the tape at the spot of the glove's hole to keep it from sticking to your finger?

Tempering the tape helps to remove the stick one might find on the inside of the glove. I've tried putting a patch of tape backwards inside the hole of the glove so the two sticky surfaces meet, but I've never found it to make much difference and seems to be a waste of tape.

Damn you guys are some tight sumb itches.

Thanks for the ideas!

Wells-Lamont yellow leathers range from $17.99-21.99 at Costco for three pairs. Even at that discounted price, I can't be buying new gloves every few weeks. When you work with fire and buckets full of coals, constantly getting embers down gloves, and dealing with massive amounts of brush on a daily basis, gloves go quick.

Sometimes the patches hold up for weeks, sometimes they don't make it through one day. It just depends on how wet it is outside, how muddy the ground is, how hot the fires are, etc.

I just buy bags of the glove liners from tsc or harbor freight and where them till they get wet and grab another pair. There also handy for the urgent poop in the woods cuz there nice and soft. I generally don’t wear gloves unless it’s below 10 degrees anyways. It drives everybody nuts at work because there trying to grab nails or screws with giant leather gloves on and it’s nearly impossible and then there is me no gloves and one sweat shirt on like it’s 50 out and they look like a kindergartner who got dressed by there mom for a snow day.

Carrying TP in your pack is something that should be done at all times, IMO. Once you get towards the end of a roll, wrap it up in a couple layers of plastic bags (bread bags, toilet paper 6-pack bags, whatever) and toss it in. The older it gets and the more it gets moved around, the softer the paper gets :grin:

Lots of good tips on extending glove life.

Now for the derail:

How many of you repair your boots?

I use a flexible epoxy called G-Flex by west systems. It seems to work pretty well.

I usually switch daily between two pairs of boats. Here are photos of one pair, and a photo of one boot from the other pair. The one spot on top is from a chainsaw nick!

Boots 002.JPG

Boots 001.JPG

I had a few pairs of gloves that I wanted to 'extend'. I placed masking tape on the inside (sticky side facing out) of holes and used Shoe Goo. Worked pretty well.

Could be done proactively on worn spots before a hole forms.

I have also used 'Gear Aid Seam Grip' to patch chaps, and would use this on gloves. Good product.

IMG_4216.jpg

Both products work best on clean fabric: wash / dry it first if you can. Wipe really well with alcohol if you can't, for good adhesion.

Philbert

If you just don’t start wearing gloves you won’t need them. I have a pair of mechanics gloves I’ve had for 2 years. Just wear them when it’s really cold or hauling small square bales of hay. I also keep chemical gloves for doing stuff like changing diesel oil. Gemplers brand, really nice.

you can get yourself accustomed to it by wrapping electrical tape around your finger tips when they get cut up. When they heal they are stronger.

Latest posts

Back