Flat top or pop-up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure a .035"-.040" bump in the center of the piston, with a 45° shoulder, really blocks a lot of exhaust.

LOL yeah I cant see that holding back much.

I still like a popup on some saws. On some, if you cut the chamber and base a lot it takes a lot of grinding to get the uppers back up where they need to be....often I can't get them flat enough on top to suit me and just have to deal with an bit of an upward angled transfer. A popup piston helps a little with this issue because the piston crown is dropping along with the cylinder.

Never done a 346 so I can't really comment on them. I should do mine one day.....

I'd still rather have a flat top piston 99% of the time....

?????????? Added displacement?

I melt the piston crown on all my saws making them drooop. Bam, no replacement for displacement.

I'd think a man with your training would know such things :msp_wink:

Last edited:
Maybe in theory because of the added displacement. But in reality you could never get the compression as high in the same jug.

You don't think anyone could get 200 psi out of a 346 with a dish?

I'm just asking, I've never tried.

Does anyone have a husky 350 that can be squish cut, run a oem piston and touch 200 psi? Or put a 350 piston in a 346 with the same intent. I bet hardly any of the combustion chamber would be left and possible issues with rings riding past the Nikisil coating.

Latest posts

Back