Flat top or pop-up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They allow more pressure to bear on the piston crown......because they have more area.

But with this new DI the fuel is injected under such intense pressure that the piston needs a bowl, or dish, to catch the incoming fuel and contain it as the piston travels upward toward the spark.

The present is a very exciting time for engine builders. Larry Larson just set a world record for the fastest streetable vehicle. 6.16 @ 219mph in the 1/4 mile.

I just wish I could afford to play. :laugh:

What about different sparkplug locations, flame front and chamber shaping?
That is the next area to be tweaked after you settle on piston shape.

Reminds me of when i had to get plexiglass for windows in the sides of a smallblock Chevy on the dyno so the engine builder could see how the oil was flowing back into the pan at 7grand.

Lots of things going on to be considered before changing a part in a speed freaked mechanical monster.

With the RPMs a saw turns piston weight is a big factor.
Does the shape of the dome increase performance more than the extra weight reduces it.
The extra stress on all the parts and the reduction in acceleration.

The solution is simple, more displacement!!!
Then we are going to want to tinker with that saw.
Now we have come full circle.

We can't leave well enough alone, we are men.

Yall need to figure this piston thing out quick, I have a new saw coming and will need to have some work done to it.

This is way over my head I just ran the saw for him in the 80's but one day We were setting around talking about a race, he said I thought I had a new idea about a piston I said want,he said I tried making it like a golf ball on top,he laughed and said it doesn't work but it did look like a piston golf ball

Back