Flat top or pop-up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing Dan. I have a new 2153 here that I cut the squish band in. It has just shy of 220 PSI. It's still on it's first tank of fuel, so not even close to broken in. My 346 has a popup piston with just shy of 200 PSI. I'm anxious to get some time on the 2153 to make a fair comparison. It's not a perfect test for the popup/flattop debate. In addition to the piston difference, there's a 20 PSI compression difference, with the one getting past what you say is ideal. We'll see. Other than that, the two saws are close to identical in build.

Don't forget in this discussion, we're using chainsaws that run at WOT almost exclusively. We're not concerned with bottom/mid-range torque needed to come out of a corner.

Flat top with cut squish band. 220 PSI. First time to see wood. Pine log.
[video=youtube_share;p1OeCYOGElQ]http://youtu.be/p1OeCYOGElQ[/video]

Why use punky wood (pine at that--everything looks fast in pine) for a demonstration/comparison?

Last edited:
This may be a little more seat of the pants vs. technical...

I had an Echo 4600 that I put a pop-up in and ported. Throttle response was great and top end torque was good. It is a easy handling saw and so I put an 18" bar on it running 3/8 low profile and used it for taking the tops out of Doug fir and pine. It worked good, was running 195psi.

Saw was a garage sale find that I got for $50 as a not running saw. It had very light scoring on the exhaust side, but nothing to worry about at all. They thought it was not running because they didn't know how to release the chain brake.

Anyway, after a little while I ordered a new piston for it, mostly just because I liked the saw and wanted it in top shape (and stuff)

So, I put the new piston it in stock. Squish was a little tighter than I normally like, but I decided to not cut a pop-up and just try it. Compression was 190psi with the new piston. But I can say that throttle response seemed fine, maybe just a hair slower, low end grunt was way up. It ended up being an even better top saw because you often wait for the wind to be right and then you have to cut like mad to get the top to fall just right, and that means you need torque to keep pulling the chain while you push on the saw. (yeah, I said push on a 45cc saw!)

So, in that saw, with the porting I had done, a pop-up didn't help. It may not be the same story for all saws with all port jobs. With a lot of this it can be luck, voodoo, experience, copying the other guy, dumb luck and a bit of science thrown in to keep it interesting.

Mr. HE:cool:

Latest posts

Back