Flex-hone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure about the closed end cylinders(good question!)But I could ask. Cannot seem to order one here infonet claims unavailable for the 056mag topend.

StihlNW has a few sets... They also have pistons available without the cylinder. They don't list them as available, but if you put the part number in they arrive ;)

ok so what do you guys call a flex hone
the ones with 3 arms and the changable abrasive bars
orthe ones with little balls all around in a cylinder shape????

would husky 288 from the early 90's be nikasil?

cheers, serg

ok so what do you guys call a flex hone
the ones with 3 arms and the changable abrasive bars
orthe ones with little balls all around in a cylinder shape????

would husky 288 from the early 90's be nikasil?

cheers, serg

...the ones with little balls all around in a cylinder shape.

Kevin

It's not just as simple as replating,there is a tad bit more involved than just that."Nikasil" is better than hard chrome as far as longevity is concerned but chrome or cast iron for that matter has worked for years prior to this method.

Before anybody rushs down to his local plater,you must consider that all piston rings are not compatable with hard nickle plating,better do some research before you leap to conclusions.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikasil

This subject of honing has been kicked around for ever.To hone,not to hone,what type hone.I personally have a Lisle precision hone that has micrometer adjustments and can correct for taper and ovality.Something a ball or shoe hone cannot do.That thing is not for plated cylinder so basically that point is moot for this discussion.I do have diamond shoes that will cut Nikasil but I don't use them,just a little "Scotch-Brit" pad and kerosine.Everybody has their favorite methods and they all seem to work.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back