Flippy Cap Blues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spoke with a technician at Stihl in Virginia Beach last week, and was told that the flip caps have been improved.

He also said that any older caps that are giving trouble will be replaced at no charge regardless of the age of the saw.

That statement just sounds like it's too good to be true..... I'm surprised Stihl would ever give ANYTHING for free. :)

I spoke with a technician at Stihl in Virginia Beach last week, and was told that the flip caps have been improved.

He also said that any older caps that are giving trouble will be replaced at no charge regardless of the age of the saw.

Good news at last. I hope this info gets confirmed.
Judging by personal experience, I still believe those flippy caps have no business at the fuel end of a pro saw, but let's see what improvements they come up with. In the meantime, we just keep double checking...:(

Good news at last. I hope this info gets confirmed.
Judging by personal experience, I still believe those flippy caps have no business at the fuel end of a pro saw, but let's see what improvements they come up with. In the meantime, we just keep double checking...:(

I hope this is true...I don't have issues with flippy caps generally, just on ONE 200T...I have cleaned the cap numerous times, and it still is very stubborn, even though the o-rings seem 100% fine. Will some types of bar oil cause them to swell? (we don't always use name-brand, sometimes a cheap hardware store gallon when we really ned it) :msp_sad:

I will try a set of new o-rings first, maybe the dealer will have new inproved caps second.

This same 200T has had several events where it got sent back up and was started...only to have the oil tank empty out on the climber's legs...not good. The groundies have a problem with only this particular saw.

Wow..

That's a lot of replies about flippy caps!

Thanks for all the constructive replies!

Thanks for replying to posts trying to help you...
it annoys me when help is offered and no reply from OP. :msp_thumbdn:

We both learned something from the posts...I went and checked my owner's manuals for my ms192T and ms200T (my newest saws) and neither of them mentioned filling the oil tank for storage. Just drain the fuel and run the saw dry. I guess the new manuals do...but can't understand why??

If someone has a leak... I would now recommend pulling the cap completely off...wash with something to clean...and then hold the cap up to a light and hold the base with your fingers so you can operate the swivel mechanism open to close. If there is a crack in either of the two pieces...gotta replace. It will be obvious if cracked. If is alright...it's very likely an O-ring problem. Remove O-ring and clean/inspect...replace if necessary.
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
It would seem to me that a viable option would be to keep a spare flippy cap on hand to alleviate this problem when it arises. I know the old style Husky caps were constant leakers while the new ones that are redesigned are holding up very well.

That statement just sounds like it's too good to be true..... I'm surprised Stihl would ever give ANYTHING for free. :)

I called the tech at Virginia Beach about a problem with my 170, and he was very helpful. While I was talking, I asked him if the flip caps had been approved, and he said yes, and any giving trouble will be replaced at no expense to the owner, regardless of the age of the saw.

I sold a new 211 because the caps kept dumping fuel mix down my leg, or I got a boot full or bar oil.

There were some on AS that implied that nothing was wrong with the caps, there was something wrong with ME.

Now it seems there was something wrong with some of the caps.

I called the tech at Virginia Beach about a problem with my 170, and he was very helpful. While I was talking, I asked him if the flip caps had been approved, and he said yes, and any giving trouble will be replaced at no expense to the owner, regardless of the age of the saw.

I sold a new 211 because the caps kept dumping fuel mix down my leg, or I got a boot full or bar oil.

There were some on AS that implied that nothing was wrong with the caps, there was something wrong with ME.

Now it seems there was something wrong with some of the caps.
Since only one of my saws has the flippys I can't relate compared 2 someone who runs a fleet with em. Enuff people having problems with em it has 2 be a real issue. The way they work it could be a problem with the tank as well as the cap? u know, insert cap and twist 1/4 turn it locks, pull too make sure.
Then when you lower the lever it forces the o-ring tighter in its seat.If the caps are the same like on my saw then switching them should tell you if its the cap or the tank unless both are coming loose. In any case a close visual insp should tell u somethin.

Nothing wrong with those caps, except that they collect gunk - imo......:msp_sleep:
Well, yeah, nothing wrong with yours...or mine but thats only 2.Think of the thous of em out there.It just seems like 2 many people hate em for it not 2 be a real issue.
I have bad arturitis in my hands and wish all mine had em if they all stayed on that is.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7p0-sFjzh1k?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7p0-sFjzh1k?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

The line up marks simply make it quicker/easier to put the cap back on, no? I can't imagine with that style of cap that you could actually improperly put the cap on?

Thanks for replying to posts trying to help you...
it annoys me when help is offered and no reply from OP. :msp_thumbdn:

Yep... I was always a peev of mine too.

I USED to post here quite frequently, but I've been away for a while. I still check things out every once in a while, but not as much as I used to.

Back