Flow pattern

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rattler362

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I just replaced the oil tank vent on my 288 and noticed this pattern in the ext port take a look
18a330bf073ec7cf5e7927912000b87d.jpg

HA just like a boat tail on a bullet... anything over 7* (graduation) and that (insert gas type here) isn't grabbing anymore.... My guess Mike?!

The flow would be fastest in the center from the highest point of the exhaust roof.

Could just be the sides are the slowest flowing and is leaving some build up.

I'll try to take a look in the exhaust port of a couple saws and see if it's got a pattern like that before it completely soot up.

Looks like the it was opened up closest to the piston side and and not smoothed out till you get to the exhaust. Kinda like a river when you see the water swirling or calm on the back side of a bend or rock. Kinda like this ) ( vs \ /. This is allowing the soot to lay on the outer sides of the port instead of the middle where the velosity is higher.

Looks like the it was opened up closest to the piston side and and not smoothed out till you get to the exhaust. Kinda like a river when you see the water swirling or calm on the back side of a bend or rock. Kinda like this ) ( vs \ /. This is allowing the soot to lay on the outer sides of the port instead of the middle where the velosity is higher.
Hey pops I widened the ext only smoothed and polished the roof and floor.

But did you widen it only closest to the piston? If so it would look like this ) (. or did you straighten it out after you widened it out so it would look like this \ / . I'm not saying what you did was bad or needs to be fixed. I'm just sayin from the looks of the soot the exhaust is deflecting off where you widened leaving the outer port with lower velocity.

Pops I never took it like you were saying anything other than just trying to help figure this out I just said Hey cause it been a while since I saw you on here. I see what you are saying about the port I did widen the out side also .

Back