Foley 307 Chain sharpener, any tips?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mboln52000

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am getting ready to uncover the dust on my dads old Foley bench top chain sharpener, its a model 307. I have been using a handheld, electric file type thing with the stones forever, but I can never get a chain to cut as good as a fresh, factory out of the box chain.

I was hoping the Foley will give me the same results as the factory chains...providing I can use it properly.

I do have the manual for it, but just wondered if anybody had any tips, tricks, or suggestions to using one of them.

Thanks,
Matt

Okay, no responses on that question, so let me change it around a bit.

Is using the Foley even worth learning how, or is it a waste of time? If the results will be about the same as the stone, i might as well stick with that.

What does anybody think?

Matt

Probably the reason you are not getting response is that not many have that grinder.

I have at least seen a picture of the thing in old Foley catalogs. (It is Foley-Belsaw now) I remember it had a belt drive and ran a smaller wheel. I dont see how it would not be pretty satisfactory. You can still get wheels for it from Stens, Tiltons, etc.

I would set it up for 60 degrees tilt (or 30 which ever way you look at it) from vertical, and 30 degrees in the horizontal plane and go for it. The only other settings you would have would be depth of wheel travel and the pawl adjustment for tooth length. You could copy things intuitively from fitting the wheel settings to a piece of new chain. Have the wheel turning from the outside edge of the tooth inword if it is reversible which I believe it is.

Thanks Tony,
I will set it up, and see what happens. It looks to be in good shape, as it wasnt used much during the time my father had it.

You used to work at a certain automotive pcb manufacturer over there, didnt you? About 12 years ago or so I used to be over there, and i remember bugging you from time to time on some 50 cal bmg plans i was working on.

I scrubbed that project years ago. The biggest thing i ever made was a 458 win mag. I just do a lot of sporterizing on the 98 action, no more home-brew actions.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

I`d guess that Tony is right, you didn`t get any replies because noone else has one. Grinder set-up is pretty much universal on machines where the head drops in a pivoting arc, now work on getting the correct profile on the wheel. This may take some trial and error depending on how your grinder addresses the tooth.

BTW, does that grinder have a sliding table that the chain vise sits on? If so, you will want to set it at 10 toward you for the right side teeth and 10 away from you for the left to get the proper sideplate hook.

Russ

Wow, talk about reviving an old thread! I dont know if it will do anything really, i still have never used it! Its setting exactly where it was when i started this thread!

dug back more threads... seems foley 394 will do square grinds

Was lurking through some of the old threads and came across this one...I popped over to the Foley-Belsaw site and see they have a catalog for Small Engine Repair Tools and Parts...

Has anyone ever bought any tools from them or seen the selection they have?

I'm looking for a "one stop shop" for tools...piston stop...flywheel puller etc. etc.

Thanks

New to this site. For the best wheels, call Norton tech staff. They are great on the right wheel to use. Learn about wheel care. It makes all the difference, otherwise you waste wheels, ruin chains and waste money.

Back