Foot Comfort: What Socks Do You Wear?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlRockin'

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've been slowly changing my ways, as far as wear, and finally got into some very comfortable work boots. Usually after work the first thing I want to do is take off my boots, but surprisingly I don't feel like that much because the boots feel good. However, due to me being introduced to "comfort", I'm noticing more how uncomfortable my feet are because of the heat and uncomfort of the wet(sweat) socks.

I wear 100% cotton socks; crew cut or low ankle. Usually something just long enough to be slightly taller than the boot. Cotton is very comfortable... until they start to get wet from sweat, then they heat up. I've worked like this for 25+ years.

There are fabrics out there, like wool, nylon, Coolmax, silk and polypropylene, etc.

The wonders of polypropylene is that it doesn't hold moisture and I use it to keep warm in the winter because moisture goes through it. Base layer is poly with wool over the top. Makes for a warm comfortable feel. I'm thinking maybe there's some sort of combo I could get to get an opposite effect, staying cool.

I've never tried just polypropylene because they're so thin and thought that would be too uncomfortable. Maybe I should try it. LOL!

What sort of socks do you wear to keep your feet comfortable?

StihlRockin'

Last edited:
Man, I love my poly pros in the winter! I rarely wear the tops tho. The bottoms keep me warm enough. I usually sweat like a whore in church when I wear the tops. I can sit out in the woods and hunt all day in single digits with my poly pros on.

As for footwear. I have a well broken in pair of Carolina Linemans that I wear when I climb. Been climbing in that brand for 18 years and they are comfortable to me. I've slept in them while on the road doing storm work. However, they are hot in the Summer. I dug out an old pair of 6" steel toes that I had forgotten about today. I was only doing ground work and didn't want to wear my climbing boots. Well broken in and comfy! I was rolling some big logs and dropping some high, large stumps today so I was glad to have found my old steel toes. Now when I really want to get comfy I wait til after work and put on my JC water walkers and put a beer in my hand. :cheers:

Oh yeah, I wear wool socks in the Winter and cotton in the Summer. When I wear my JC water walker's, I wear no socks atall. :D

I really like the Smartwool socks. Kind of expensive, but you can find them on sale sometimes. And they seem to last for frickin ever. Thicker ones in the winter, thinner ones in the summer. Hands down more comfortable than cotton in any weather.

I wear almost any of the "hi-tech" hiking socks (SmartWool, REI, WigWam, etc.). They do last forever. I have some that are 20 years old. I'm not wearing them every day but it speaks to the quality of the materials that have not dry rotted.

JB Fields makes some great socks. I think the company was started by a Logger's wife in the late 1800's, or something along those lines. I use the thinner wool blend socks in the summer months b/c they wick moisture away from your foot and keep your footsies dry, and the thicker ones in the winter months because they are awesome at keeping your feet warm. I also have some Carhartt wool blend work socks, for winter, and they are warm as hell, but they do get soggy. The Agway I worked at as a kid sold the JB Fields brand. They are expensive, but excellent construction. Check em out if you can.

Afterthought: My old man used to own a line construction business, and would climb upwards of 50 poles a day. He swore by two pairs of socks. First, cotton socks, then thin wool socks overtop of the cotton. Said it kept his feet dry and added extra comfort.

Personally I still like good old fashion tube socks. I know they dont wick away water all that great. But I have large calves and if I dont wear socks with good elastic tops they fall down and in to by boots and that is frigging annoying.

men_hanes_over_calf_tube_sock_6_pack_reviews_470110_175.jpg

Also, I can see were this thread is going to head so why not get it started now. For Underwear I almost always wear boxer briefs

26080_m.jpg

but on occasion Ill will toss on something like this, if I am climbing a locust or something else thorny

PPE Under Garments

NOT, haha made you look.

I don't know about y'all, but a pic of some guys legs just don't seem right here.

:greenchainsaw:

I have several mixes picked up over the years. Usually either at a work clothing supply or a hunting/fishing/outdoor place.

Trying to think of some names I have, Danner, Carhartt, WindRiver, Dakota, and even tried some UnderArmor this past year. Most of them are some wool blend. But the UnderArmor is all man made material, but is a good sock, keeps moisture away and good in warmer weather.

Carhartt makes a mid-cold and a cold version if I recall correctly, and both work well.

The Windriver are Wool and Nylon (60% Wool) and are great in cold weather.

The UnderArmor is nice in warmer weather, but have not tried in the winter yet.

Stihl-O .... there you go with your pictures again. :jawdrop:

Not sure why you thought it was funny that you made me look. It brought back the days of looking through the Sears catalog as a little boy. Good times. I might just have to go back and look again come to think of it. :hmm3grin2orange:

I wear ankle cut socks and long cotton socks over them(there 9'' boots) just cause my boots seem to have a lot of sharp points on them and they hurt my feet with just one pair of socks.

X-scent is a good choice for socks. I don't wear these to work but I do have a couple of pairs I wear for hunting. It is technology that was developed by the military for scent control but they wick moisture away and keep your feet cool in the Summer and Warm in the Winter. It uses Silver fiber technology to eliminate scent and they really keep your feet cooler in hot weather. You can find them in Sporting good stores and wally world was selling them. You can do a google search to read up on them.

So do we cover them up with chain saws :) Or are you saying that we need equal rights and need to now post some ladies legs as well.

I have no problems with inequality. I say show what is more pleasing to the eye, a ladies leg :cheers:. If she happens to be holding a chainsaw, that would be extra special.

This is what you need Stihl-O-Matic :laugh:

Nice pic BlackenedTimber, but she got no socks on!

stihl-o .... There you go with your pictures again. :jawdrop:

Not sure why you thought it was funny that you made me look. It brought back the days of looking through the sears catalog as a little boy. Good times. I might just have to go back and look again come to think of it. :hmm3grin2orange:

rofl

Last edited:
I have no problems with inequality. I say show what is more pleasing to the eye, a ladies leg :cheers:. If she happens to be holding a chainsaw, that would be extra special.

Holy carp man I am getting old but not that old. I just need long socks, smaller calves or fatter ankles but not them thing. Next thing you will be sending me to the EXTENZE website.

Holy carp man I am getting old but not that old. I just need long socks, smaller calves or fatter ankles but not them thing.

This socks and garter setup fits the bill:greenchainsaw: I thought they might go well with that underwear you linked to. Who am I to judge? :laugh:

Next thing you will be sending me to the EXTENZE website.

I'll just send you some of my stock, buying the big saws didn't do it and this stuff doesn't seem to do much better :). I'll be onto the blue pills in a few years anyway.

Last edited:
This socks and garter setup fits the bill:greenchainsaw: I thought they might go well with that underwear you linked to. Who am I to judge? :laugh:

I'll just send you some of my stock, buying the big saws didn't do it and this stuff doesn't seem to do much better :). I'll be onto the blue pills in a few years anyway.

ROFL how would that mini skirt look under my chaps

She was wearing socks before I took the picture... I told her to take em off and go with the clear heels... my bad fellas...

Back