Footwear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am wanting to get a pair of hiking boots or the like for spikeless climbing. I have a pair of climbing boots to use on removals but about 75% of my work is trim jobs and pruning and I'd rather wear something other than my climbing boots. Any suggestions?

my work boots as we speak are a pair of "la sportiva's" and made in italy. they are mountaineering boots with a vibram sole. actually made to accept some crampon's or whatever you call them. for ice climbing or some ****.

265$ at REI.

although my first pair busted a stitch and i returned them, i did get the same boots cause i kinda like them.

check out the asolo's. i might try them out next.

I take it you are wearing the glacier boots and not the $475 Nepal EVO boots :).

The product description sounds like they would make ver comfortable climbing boots. Are they insulated?

One of the reasons I am looking for low top climbing boots is I don't like wearing the high leather climbing boots here in our Summer months. Looking for something that keeps the dogs a little cooler.

protection from the elements yes but i think they do not have insulation. nothing like the gortex or thinsulate in them but i wear 2 pair of sock any way so the feet'll stay warm.

i like em on the bark too. very grabby. and the way the sole set up is, very very gaff friendly. no stitching anywhere that will get rubbed too early.... good boot so far.

Yeah, I was reading where they have a half steel shank in them. Figured you could prolly wear them with gaffs as well. Good info.

I'm still open to other ideas. What else are you guys wearing.

When I first started out I used Wescos.
Until about 10 years ago. Then I switched to hiking boots.
The Wesco heel was contributing to back pain.
I use Zamberlins from REI on everything. I can stand in my hooks for hours on removals, and have great traction while pruning. Asolo are good too.

I wear Vasque's primarily for climbing. I got one pair of keen's that were waterproof and insulated but they fell apart within a month.

You can get Vasque's at some red wing stores, rei, or the internet. I'd suggest finding a pair you like and trying them on at a store and then ordering them online to save money.

If you can get to REI up in mountain country you can try on a lot of different makes of boots to see what fits you best. Otherwise you can get them ordered at the closest store and return till you find what you like.

I'm in a Vasque hiker right now, I loved the REI Spirit, but they "improved" it enough with the third iteration that it does not last long for the abuse I put them through.

The guys at the store said that you need a high end boot with a full shank to get the wear you need for climbing on a regular basis.

those are awesome boots!

my work boots as we speak are a pair of "la sportiva's" and made in italy. they are mountaineering boots with a vibram sole. actually made to accept some crampon's or whatever you call them. for ice climbing or some ****.

265$ at REI.

although my first pair busted a stitch and i returned them, i did get the same boots cause i kinda like them.

check out the asolo's. i might try them out next.

i just sold a pair i outgrew.i found some Lowa boots on ebay.goretex lined,made in germany (same as Shamwow) ,and stiff as hell.$125

Keeping the dogs dry helps as much as keeping them comfortable. I wear sock liners under the cotton in warm months and wool in cold months. Curse my duck wide feet I have a tell of a hime trying to find anything that fits well!

If they had webbing between the toes maybe. I sink like a rock if I don't keep moving! I attribute it to my low fat high muscle mass physique but the wife says something about rockheadedness:buttkick:

Danner has a cult following when it comes to hiking boots. Some of the best out there. I saw some used ones go for over 100 bucks on ebay!

The other suggestions are really good too. I have had good luck with Vasque also.

I would try them on first if possible and go with the best fit/feel.....

Yes of course the Danners. That's what I am in. They are very nice except for the fact that they don't hold a footlock for crap. If you use a Pantin then you are good to go. Waterproof, super comfortable, great traction and stiff enough for the job. I also second the 2 pairs of socks method.

I've had some pretty good success with the Merrels I'm climbing in now. Had a pair of Keens. They were really comfortable but fell apart in about a week. I got the Merrels from Cabela's for under $90 on sale. Going on six months of climbing in them. I have a pair of heavy loggers I use for spikes, though.

Soooo..I have seen some great suggestions for some nice comfortable footwear while climbing..other than the Danners..anyone know of some American made hikers/climbing that would fit the bill here?

Btw..OD..havent seen you in a while buddy..good to see ya :cheers:

what up WM. good to hear you as well.

you are on your own regarding boots man, i havent really settled on a brand yet. lol. i havent even gotten into the big leagues of boots yet either. i do need to try out some of them whites/wescoes/viberg...

i saw a couple pics of that new ride of yours.....sweet. congrats.

I haven't tried them yet, but New Balance has a couple different hikers out. Everything I've seen is that they are an American made company. Also, Danner does have some hikers.

Latest posts

Back