For The Faller Gods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The job nobody wants to do....replanting. You'll have some more to cut in about 40 years.

A Question: This is the first time I've done more than a few trees since I was on the lower side of 20 years old. We were having a hard time swinging hoedads in the slash. Is that why shovels are better? I've only planted before in Burned Black units--no slash. The hoedad still felt familiar.

Here's some pictures. The other planters were two grandmas. We knocked a good chunk out for our few hours. More snow has to melt.

Here is a beginner tree planter with gray hair. What a mess to start out in! That's vine maple slash.
227869d1331254109-job-nobody-wants-do0001-jpg

Come back in a few years. The Used Dog was packing water and the camera.
227870d1331254115-job-nobody-wants-do0001_1-jpg

The view from the top of the unit. The last logs were hauled out about a month ago.
227871d1331254120-job-nobody-wants-do0001_2-jpg

We take a much needed break at the top boundary.
227872d1331254125-job-nobody-wants-do0001_3-jpg

View attachment 227869View attachment 227870View attachment 227871View attachment 227872

Last edited:
Please cut that bent over tree in the third shot, it's throwing off the flow of the photo. Maybe carve one of those Ricola cough drop horns out of it or something.:msp_smile:

But, but, I'd have to lug The Barbie Saw up there. It looks like a candidate for a bore/poke/Coos Bay/etc. cut. We did go through and cut the Vine Maple up some. Like, that was real fun....NOT. :(

You guys jis randomly plant? Or is it every few feet? One of the outfits I worked with did planting. They did 3200 trees one week. It was a hillside, so they used sticks and twine and put them in nice little rows. Sounded like work. I was busy making room for the trees.

40 year rotation? I'd contract the falling but I really hope to be fully retired by then. :laugh:

What kind of trees?

Doug-fir. The roots seem too long. :D We suspect that the trees speed up growing when placed in the planting bag. They get bigger and heavier and longer rooted. Then they slow down when planted.

When you say shovel do you mean the tile spade type with a long narrow blade. I've used a fancy one that cost something near $100.00 but I can't remember the name of the thing. The handle was coated in rubber later on if that helps. I only used it for a few days 35 years ago but I still remember it being hard work.

Was this volunteer work for a NF or... what?

When you say shovel do you mean the tile spade type with a long narrow blade. I've used a fancy one that cost something near $100.00 but I can't remember the name of the thing. The handle was coated in rubber later on if that helps. I only used it for a few days 35 years ago but I still remember it being hard work.

Was this volunteer work for a NF or... what?

This is just helping out a friend and getting some exercise. She had 5 acres clearcut. It was mostly alder.

Old Growth alder??????:laugh:

What I understand, alder can get too old to market. Nope, this was just at the right age and I'll count some rings if I return tomorrow. There didn't look to be very many. Doug-fir is what would come in naturally behind the alder. It grows well on that site.

This is the area we are planting.
[video=youtube_share;LbtX3syK8vY]http://youtu.be/LbtX3syK8vY[/video]

You're already planting in Washington! Another two months to go before the season starts here, I suppose. I don't know if I'll do any planting this year, haven't signed anything yet. Let's see....

WHOO WHATTA RELIEF

(we have a few thousand of those to get into the ground in I think two weeks)

Can you 'splain the shovel preference? We thought it might work better in new fangled planting methods needed when the slash isn't burned.
She has 3 thousand trees. We didn't do a lot yesterday as we are not nineteen or twenty somethings--one is a sixty something. I'll head back out when the frost goes away.

Funny, the hoedad felt natural in my hands after a million years of not planting anything except 10 or so cedars.

I planted a lot in the 1970s burn just north of Wenatchee. I think they burned up again. :mad:

Can you 'splain the shovel preference? We thought it might work better in new fangled planting methods needed when the slash isn't burned.

I think it's mostly a matter of preference. Also, the hoedad saves work on steep sidehills but makes work on flats. Less bending with a shovel.

This afternoon, I got sent up to do the "steep" part so the hoedad worked well, except if you bounce the handle on vine maple when you are sticking the tree in, you can get whacked on the chin. Oh for the days of nicely burned units! The Used Dog ended up flopped in a patch of snow. It was too hot for him out there, I guess.

Back