For Those Running The Stihl MS200T???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rahtreelimbs said:
Was that a drop that hit the ground or a drop that the lanyard would have caught?

we had one dropped using that ring and it hasnt run the same since. (Not to mention it almost decapitated one of my ground guys.) Idles for few seconds then starts revving up. I adjusted the carb many times and cant seem to get rid of this problem.

That was the last time I let my guys rely on that ring. Every climbing saw we own now, which are all MS200t's, have a strap with a ring attached. that way I know its not going anywhere.
21340.jpg

rahtreelimbs said:
Has anyone experienced any problems with the lanyard ring breaking on the 200T?
Not through normal usage. Had one break also when it hit the ground but I've dropped my saw onto my lanyard hundreds of times with no problems yet.

Had more problems with them breaking on the 019 (broke 4) but fortunately the handle on the 019 sweeps back far enough to snap into.

John464 said:
we had one dropped using that ring and it hasnt run the same since. (Not to mention it almost decapitated one of my ground guys.) Idles for few seconds then starts revving up. I adjusted the carb many times and cant seem to get rid of this problem.

That was the last time I let my guys rely on that ring. Every climbing saw we own now, which are all MS200t's, have a strap with a ring attached. that way I know its not going anywhere.
21340.jpg

Sounds like the throttle linkage in the handle got bent....we see tis alot on these saws when they get dropped.

John464 said:

21340.jpg

Ok...where are you attaching the strap???

Wife bought me a brand new 200T for Christmas last year. Dropped it three times before February (my fault, had it on a 24" lanyard with a screw lock carabiner to my harness and forgot to screw the gate shut). Third time the handle broke. Got a replacement on eBay for $30 shipped to my door, spent two hours putting it on the saw. Never had a problem dropping the saw when it's attached to the lanyard (only operator error). Same problem though, now the saw races when it should idle.

Looked at my lanyard again. It's more like 38-40 inches (can use the saw at arm length while lanyard is attached to my harness). I used 3/8 inch tenex with a large eye splice to go thru the lanyard ring (girth hitched) and a small eye splice on the other end, just big enough to put a carabiner through. When my 009L was my main climbing saw, this setup worked great with the big eye splice through the handle. Now I use it on the lanyard ring with the 200T. It would work through the handle with thin gloves, but feels unbalanced when it hangs.

Dropped the 192t one time. It ran like **** afterwards. Took it to the dealer to be looked at. The boot around the carb was cracked causing an air leak.

Never had one fail,have probably worked with more than 20~30 020's since they have introduced them.
Have had the odd mess up with limbs or chunks of wood over the years grab the bar and pull the saw with it but never has it failed..........
Saw lanyards though will break before that ring does,as they are shock loaded.
Anyone tryed the bashlin bungee saw lanyard,I had the elastic come unstitched the other day,resulting in a broken ms200 no sudden shocks or any thing the saw just fell off!,only 2 months old:confused:
I will replace any saw lanyards yearly,they often get over looked as its not climbing equipment.

rahtreelimbs said:
That has to make it hard to handle the saw.

I was thinking of using some small throwline to secure the lanyard ring to the top-handle!!!
no it chokes on there get a bungee strap from buck choke it to the handle and start living it up, they come with a snap or ring, kinda like country or western

I have had my 200T for a year and a half and have never had a problem or broke anything. I have dropped out of the tree 3 times and had had to toos it when cutting while it was on a bungee lanyard. The ring is still solid with no play in it.

Never had a problem. Dropped it once runs fine. I use the ring but rarely put any pressure on the ring.

Mickey mouse lanyard attachment wire

I hate to disagree with many of the experts here, but I have had the little wire attachment pull out a couple of times over the years, and have cursed Stihl for it as my saw fell every time.

It's a good saw, an expensive saw, but it does have a few weakness' and the mickey mouse lanyard attachment wire is one of them.

jomoco

Latest posts

Back