For y'alls viewing displeasure. A Black Birch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only thing missing is the final shot of all that wood split and stacked:hmm3grin2orange:

This is the firewood section:msp_razz:

Have patience! That shot will be coming. I'll be splitting it right up where I cut it. (a split is a lot easier to lift n toss than a round) Then I have to figure out where I'm going to stack it so it will be out of the way with my other fells and projects.

Right now I've got a cloud sitting on my house and a big storm is on it's way. It should be hitting here in a few hours from the looks of things.

FLHX Storm

Okay, I watched the video again. The main thing that I saw is that you took extra precautions with safety in mind and that's good.

As far as your technique goes I can't really find anything terribly wrong. You need to look up more, regardless of whether you think it's necessary. It's a good habit to get into. Also, when you're wedging try to keep your body away from the wedges. Don't trust wedges...they'll spit out of a kerf with tremendous speed. I know some guys who got a few pages added to their dental record from wedges. Broken jaws and concussions, too.

Would I have cut that tree exactly like you did? No. But that doesn't really mean anything in this case.

As long as your methods are safe and you're not endangering yourself or anybody else it really doesn't matter what kind of face you use or if you bore or not. You're not logging so getting the tree on the ground fast isn't the main focus, nor should it be. Getting the tree on the ground safely is the only thing you should be thinking about. You're having fun playing with your rigging and your planning and you're getting some firewood at the same time....can't beat that.

The kind of cutting that I do doesn't always have any bearing on what somebody else does. That being said, if you or anybody else is doing something that's dangerous I'll be the first one to speak up and I won't be shy about it either. Also, if somebody asks for a critique and then argues about it they probably won't like the response.

Just remember to stay light on your feet and be ready to ditch the saw and run...the trees don't always do what you think they will.;)

I didn't reply to her thread yet, even though she specifically asked me for comments. If I'm critical of her technique or if I find ways she can do things more efficiently and I tell her, as she asked me to do, does that by your definition make me an A hole?

Not that your opinion of me is of any importance, I'm just trying to understand your resentment of professionals.

Hey, you're a professional HVAC man...I wouldn't resent you telling some newbie that his sheet metal skills were lacking. But maybe you'd be taken an A hole for so doing. And maybe you are.

I'll probably give her my response tomorrow morning. I've been in the woods most of the day...logging.

I understand and respect what you are saying. I do not resent pro's, or there critique. The A hole comes when you take this post from here and post it somewhere else for a laugh at there expense.

That's just a crappy thing to do.

I understand and respect what you are saying. I do not resent pro's, or there critique. The A hole comes when you take this post from here and post it somewhere else for a laugh at there expense.

Well that makes all them tough guys feel better you know.

Last edited:

I don't think it was done for a laugh. Besides, what is the difference between doing that and posting videos of others to laugh at, which is done frequently on this forum? Or making comments on how a woman looks, rather than how she cuts? Actually, I find the latter more offensive than laughter about my technique.

Women who fall trees are rare. We usually don't get to go out and learn with the pros. So, we watch, read, and teach ourselves and do as best as we can. We even get better.

Randymac has posted photos of a production faller called Jagger Jenny. He is supportive. I've met the guy and his wife. Have you? I bet he moved it over just because it is rare. I'm thinking that some on here are assuming others are as mean as they are.

I'd be glad to tag along with Randy, and many others. Yup, they'd probably laugh at some of the stuff I do. That's how it is and if you can't take it, don't post videos. Besides, I maintain that when the camera comes out, things are cursed and will go wrong.

I don't think it was done for a laugh. Besides, what is the difference between doing that and posting videos of others to laugh at, which is done frequently on this forum? Or making comments on how a woman looks, rather than how she cuts? Actually, I find the latter more offensive than laughter about my technique.

Women who fall trees are rare. We usually don't get to go out and learn with the pros. So, we watch, read, and teach ourselves and do as best as we can. We even get better.

Randymac has posted photos of a production faller called Jagger Jenny. He is supportive. I've met the guy and his wife. Have you? I bet he moved it over just because it is rare. I'm thinking that some on here are assuming others are as mean as they are.

I'd be glad to tag along with Randy, and many others. Yup, they'd probably laugh at some of the stuff I do. That's how it is and if you can't take it, don't post videos. Besides, I maintain that when the camera comes out, things are cursed and will go wrong.

Not near as funny as making fun of farmers in rubber boots....

or slamming others,,because of their view of anything,,that may disagree with yours????????????

Storm, the only thing i can add and it's already been said but i'll reiterate. DITCH that damn chain, lol. good on you fer the rest of it.:rock:

after I drop a tree safely I always have a smile on my face. we didn't get to see that and im sure you were smiling after that fall. great job.

Okay, I watched the video again. The main thing that I saw is that you took extra precautions with safety in mind and that's good.

As far as your technique goes I can't really find anything terribly wrong. You need to look up more, regardless of whether you think it's necessary. It's a good habit to get into. Also, when you're wedging try to keep your body away from the wedges. Don't trust wedges...they'll spit out of a kerf with tremendous speed. I know some guys who got a few pages added to their dental record from wedges. Broken jaws and concussions, too.

Would I have cut that tree exactly like you did? No. But that doesn't really mean anything in this case.

As long as your methods are safe and you're not endangering yourself or anybody else it really doesn't matter what kind of face you use or if you bore or not. You're not logging so getting the tree on the ground fast isn't the main focus, nor should it be. Getting the tree on the ground safely is the only thing you should be thinking about. You're having fun playing with your rigging and your planning and you're getting some firewood at the same time....can't beat that.

The kind of cutting that I do doesn't always have any bearing on what somebody else does. That being said, if you or anybody else is doing something that's dangerous I'll be the first one to speak up and I won't be shy about it either. Also, if somebody asks for a critique and then argues about it they probably won't like the response.

Just remember to stay light on your feet and be ready to ditch the saw and run...the trees don't always do what you think they will.;)

Only a major A hole would offer so much thoughtful instruction and support.

Well, I said I would post a video so here it is of the black birch I felled earlier today. (see what happens when this site is down)

I did have 3 tie lines on it as well as a tow chain and 2 tow straps. Two of the tie lines, one per trunk were placed about 35 feet up and tied to a single come-along which was attached to a tow strap which was wrapped around a yellow poplar to keep from damaging the poplar n then cinched up tight.The tow chain and other tow strap were wrapped around the tree at two different heights in the event this tree was hallow. Plus since it was also two trees that had grown together I figured the tow strap would keep it from separating. The third tie line was placed above the 2nd tow strap and secured to another tree further up the hill. Not pulled tight. just a precaution in the event the tree might decide to tip since it was leaning and heavy on the backside. From experience, I have had them leave the stump sideways being heavy on the one side like that.

I had initially thought that this tree may be hollow since it didn't sound out right which is why the extra precautions. This is not one of my better fells but it isn't the worst either. I did try for two videos, but since I'm so butt eff'n ugly, one camera refused to record once I entered the picture and turned itself off. That's the only reason I can figure anyway. The other was attached to my helmet which I almost forgot to turn it on.

So brace yourself for a little better than 15 minutes of sheer boredom while I fell this firewood tree. BTW, it takes me almost 7.5 minutes just to make the face cut! :dizzy:

[video=youtube;Ta_dgLTvTFs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta_dgLTvTFs&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Nice! Don't matter how long it took, on the ground and no damage to you or property :msp_thumbup: Gotta remember, a lot of the sooth sayers just cut tree in the woods..

I used to make fun of people falling trees in videos until I learned that it was hurtful and wrong to do so. I now mostly make fun of carnies.

I admit I didn't read everything so if my comments below have already been taken care of, please ignore.
As far as I can see it, and I'm a little farther away :), nothing wrong with your felling at all. What I prefer is to leave a little more room between hinge and wedges on the side, incase I have to cut that little itsy bitsy more, but to be honest I couldn't really tell how much room you really left.
About the chain, nothing wrong at all with it. That is the normal experience of new store bought safety chain! Just because all guys here need a full modded super high cc chainsaw with special full chisel chain or else they can't cut a twig, doesn't mean anything! What has been my experience is that new chain often needs a few strokes with a file on the cutters and rake to bring it out to it's full potential. I might be mistaken but it seems to be that your chain is exactly showing this. It is spitting out a mixture of "chips" and "dust". And that is the reason I believe that your sawing time (= fun time :D) is longer.

If you are not confident with using a file I always recomend
1. a roller guide from Husqvarna (= "hand filling for dummies" like me :laugh:) or
2. a simple chain grinder like in this vid (My Chainsaw Sharpener - YouTube This guy shows this model to it's full potential and I use exactly the same model and am very happy with it because the results are good!)

All in all I liked your video and hope for more! Come on risk it!!! Show us your chopping skills..... :hmm3grin2orange:

Only a major A hole would offer so much thoughtful instruction and support.

After reading this, maybe we should change the name of the forestry and logging forum to the A hole forum. Or maybe not.
I just got back from cutting up dirty alder and flinging it nearer to the road. I've got a blister on a foot and a boo boo on my hand. In other words, I'm feeling A holier than thou. ;)

The reason I asked specifically for your critique is because I have come to respect your opinions. Asking for someone to be critical about what was done really does leave the door open and I was bracing myself for a serious gut kick.

As for looking up more! Well, I think I just need to look up period. There wasn't one time in the video where I actually looked up and that could have negated any safeties I had in place. So regardless of how my legs are, no excuses, I agree, I need to look up and look up often. The warning about the use of wedges will definitely be heeded. I do know they can pop back out without warning. I've had it happen a few times over the years.

Thank you for the insight, n really, I do appreciate it. :msp_smile:

I really can't say for sure if RandyMac's motive was malicious or not. Really, it's hard to tell what goes on in a mans mind, but on the surface it does look like he is trying to be helpful. But the other part is, I never asked for help and only asked for one persons opinion from whom I respect. I did pay attention to all the others, which may not be a good thing because it caused me to start second guessing myself.

Then last night, I went on the internet looking for something to show what I had previously learned was correct. Here is what I found! It is a PDF file dealing with felling trees. Look at pages 5 though 7 for notches, page 10 for the method to use when the diameter of the tree exceeds the length of the bar, and page 13 for felling against the natural lean.
http://wimlc.com/uploads/3/0/3/0/3030142/wimlc_tree_felling_techniques_manual.pdf

My overall review of what I did!
The things I need to work on though is the position of the thumb, and of course looking up. There is no valid excuse for not looking up and looking up often. But, one other thing. My technique for entering the kerf from the other side. Bring the rpm's up and then insert the chainsaw into the kerf! As for equipment, a higher horsepower chainsaw would be nice, but definitely do away with those safety chains. (I have 5 or 6 for each chainsaw I own) And Add some larger wedges to the arsenal

I didn't post the video as a training or how to type video like the multitude of others on the internet. It was posted to show how I got err done. If some found it entertaining, well, so be it. Those who make fun of it, well, I wonder what they actually would look like doing the same thing with the same materials in the same situation. Those are the hazards of posting a video on the internet. But, I also made it so it really wasn't public to keep it from being searchable which kind of limited the audience to here on AS. I'm also kind of glad the other video didn't turn out or I too might have been considered a Crack Whore. Or at least criticized for my looks. (not big enough boobs and too fat of a butt or too big of boobs and too small of a butt, not pretty enough or whatever)

I'm also sure everyone knows, there really is no set way for felling a tree. Each tree is different and each has it's own idiosyncrasy that must be paid attention to. That means using different methods or incorporating different methods to achieve the final result. That also includes safety for self, others, and property!

Both you and I, as women, had to learn the hard way but then experience is always the best teacher. If speed is an issue, give me a half dozen or so straight trees in a row 12 to 18 inches across where I'll make my cuts (to match my bar), and I'll fell each of them making them fall next to each other in the amount of time it took me to fell this one tree. Otherwise, the next handful of trees I'll be felling are high risk and extremely dangerous to myself and my property. So I'll take my time (using better loops) and whatever safeties I deem necessary.

One final comment before I shut my pie hole. Should anyone from AS meet me in person and some will, they will find I am the same way in person as I am on the internet.

Last edited:
I admit I didn't read everything so if my comments below have already been taken care of, please ignore.
As far as I can see it, and I'm a little farther away :), nothing wrong with your felling at all. What I prefer is to leave a little more room between hinge and wedges on the side, incase I have to cut that little itsy bitsy more, but to be honest I couldn't really tell how much room you really left.
About the chain, nothing wrong at all with it. That is the normal experience of new store bought safety chain! Just because all guys here need a full modded super high cc chainsaw with special full chisel chain or else they can't cut a twig, doesn't mean anything! What has been my experience is that new chain often needs a few strokes with a file on the cutters and rake to bring it out to it's full potential. I might be mistaken but it seems to be that your chain is exactly showing this. It is spitting out a mixture of "chips" and "dust". And that is the reason I believe that your sawing time (= fun time :D) is longer.

If you are not confident with using a file I always recomend
1. a roller guide from Husqvarna (= "hand filling for dummies" like me :laugh:) or
2. a simple chain grinder like in this vid (My Chainsaw Sharpener - YouTube This guy shows this model to it's full potential and I use exactly the same model and am very happy with it because the results are good!)

All in all I liked your video and hope for more! Come on risk it!!! Show us your chopping skills..... :hmm3grin2orange:

Actually I'm pretty good with a file but there are times I do use an electric chainsaw sharpener. I think it's the one, one step above the one in the video. It helps me keep the chain balanced as in even on both sides. Sometimes I get a little carried away and file more off one side than the other. And it helps keep the cutters at the right angle.

So before I do any more cutting, I'll take a file to the cutters and see if that helps make a difference. I have already been bucking up the tree and have since changed over to a lighter saw. The 4620! I'll back track a bit and then I might even drag out the 4218 since it hasn't been run in a while. The poor thing must feel all dejected n stuff! :msp_biggrin:

I'd show y'all my chopping skills .............. If I had any, so since I don't I don't have to show em!:laugh:

Latest posts

Back