For y'alls viewing displeasure. A Black Birch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A comment about your reflections... Self reflection is healthy but second guessing yourself when you clearly were in control of the situation is not necessary. We all have things to learn but second guessing yourself to the point of quitting is not healthy.

You had clearly thought out what you were doing and got it done. Take the pointers and apply them as needed to your skill set and move on.

A comment about your reflections... Self reflection is healthy but second guessing yourself when you clearly were in control of the situation is not necessary. We all have things to learn but second guessing yourself to the point of quitting is not healthy.

You had clearly thought out what you were doing and got it done. Take the pointers and apply them as needed to your skill set and move on.

Well said.

FLHXStorm,

I have been following this post and have a couple things I would like to say.

1) The title of your thread didn't help you ANY right off the bat. I mean you sold your video from the get go with "for your alls viewing displeasure"... so automatically viewers see, ok there is a problem in here somewhere, I'm gonna click this vid and find it. Happens every time! Believe me, I have posted some vids in past that caught some fairly serious flack..and they should have. I am a full time "Faller" by trade...so if I post a vid for the "big boys" in Falling Pics....I already know I am going to get "likes" and "dislikes" ...like it or not :msp_biggrin:. I take it and use it and apply what I need to for my region or to just clean up my act.

So what I am saying id, if I title a video, "Hey I really screwed this #### up"...what do you figure my response is going to be? Not good prolly!

2) I started the thread in question and my group of buddies is a group of widely scattered men who log full time or part time or just want to be logging more than they can. I will say that NONE of us are malicious nor were hateful or mean to your video. Yes, I partook in the bashing of RKG DIY because of the obvious reasons...it's a fricken joke...boobs all up in yer face, cedar shavings coming from a pine tree, seemed to be stoned or on meds, running a chainsaw with her "blade" on backwards! "Blade"....oh Dear, that's an entirely different story.

When RandyMac linked us to your thread, I am sure he knew that we would be civil and not be an ass er something...Hell he could have been talking about that guy that didn't think you were a woman...if so he put "the dogs out on him"...sorta...and I really don't mind that. Also, Randy is pretty dry...when he actually does speak, he says what he means...heck he has "lived" it. Randy is a tough guy to be criticized by...he has never "liked" a single vid of mine period...and that's fine, because when I do put a badass'd video and he does click the "like" button, it will mean something! He doesn't hardly click "like" on anybody's vids...just to clear that up.

Summation, I have put up some vids that had problems and they were pointed out...that is the way it works. I have always got helpful comments along with some things I could be doing better. Keep posting vids though...all in all it's the "Internutz" and you can't take anything on here too seriously..well not just anything..you know what I mean.

Cheers Storm! Have a good day!

Last edited:
My overall review of what I did!
The things I need to work on though is the position of the thumb, and of course looking up. There is no valid excuse for not looking up and looking up often. But, one other thing. My technique for entering the kerf from the other side. Bring the rpm's up and then insert the chainsaw into the kerf! As for equipment, a higher horsepower chainsaw would be nice, but definitely do away with those safety chains. (I have 5 or 6 for each chainsaw I own) And Add some larger wedges to the arsenal

I though the technical aspect really looked fine. The chain seemed to not hinder you very much, and the saw seemed to have enough power for what you asked of it. Wedges are definitely your friend. People responded with obvious and important stuff like "hitchhiking" and looking up, but also with how they would have handled that situation. For example I wouldn't have bored that tree. That being said, there is nothing wrong with boring it as well. This goes against some, but I dont like entering kerf's or start bores at full power. I'll get something started at part throttle and then go. I'm also exclusively using skip chain and bars longer than 28"
I thinks RandyMac was most amused by the size of the face and the presence of the T-square.

:cheers::cheers:

Since the chain was new, that would mean the wood was pretty hard or at least the heart wood was. The face cut was "open faced" with a total opening of 90 degrees. (I did 70 on top due to the flare at the butt, 20 for the bottom cut) I was lead to believe that was the minimum opening for precision felling.

I don't mind constructive criticism. As a matter of fact I appreciate it because it forces me to look at my technique a lot closer.

No, that's not it. Wood can be hard but a sharp chain would still make chips. Some of those anti kick back chains get a lousy grip with angled cuts and can make the dust I see in your video.

Last edited:
Only thing missing is the final shot of all that wood split and stacked:hmm3grin2orange:

This is the firewood section:msp_razz:

Well, it's not stacked, but I did split some today. I have more to buck, but it was Sunday so I figured I'd work quietly splitting some wood. Some I would whack the snot out of, and it still wouldn't split! And some, I could almost bet someone could shoot it, and the bullet would ricochet off it instead of penetrating it. I even brought up the True Temper Splitting axe because that way I could hit it with a sledge hammer. Still no go! So needless to say I will have to resort to noodling some of it. So here is the result of a couple of hours splitting! (It was great exercise though)

IMG_1649_zps5e38c101.jpg

IMG_1652_zpsc3581a4c.jpg

I understand this is a profits driven site, which is what capitalism is all about. But you have to understand there are some AS members that have been around the block before, and understand the art of theater/drama for generating more clicks and more money, which is all fine by me. :cheers:

That Critical Thinking course at University wasn't a waste of time after all. :msp_wink:

...yep, you're sure getting your money's worth out of that associates degree....

Oh, no worries! I wasn't sure what title to put for this thread, so in sarcasm, I put the "For y'alls viewing displeasure" It was that or "Road King Girl, eat your heart out" since I do fell trees and not just talk about it. If I say I'm going to take down a 36 inch across tree with a 14 or 16 inch 33cc saw, believe it, because I will do it. It might take longer than 15 minutes though. N I'd even put my BLADE on the right way! :laugh:

As for future videos, I haven't quite decided yet on that. I'm a little gun shy and really don't care to be on the bottom of a dog pile even if I am a pretty fair cutter.

Anyway, life goes on n now I've more wood to cut n split for my 2020 or even 2021 heating season.

Your next video should be a tutorial on how to make those kick @$$ fire wood hut looking stacks. Your fire wood stacks are awesome, make mine look like poop. BTW the tree fell the right way+ you have it split already = win ;)

I'm also exclusively using skip chain and bars longer than 28"
I thinks RandyMac was most amused by the size of the face and the presence of the T-square.

:cheers::cheers:

What, you mean taking out 80% of the trunk isn't right? :laugh: Just think if I had a more powerful chainsaw with a longer bar and chain, just how large the face would have been! :msp_scared: :givebeer:

The reason I use the drywall square is to help me insure I hit my target. I'll lay it out so I can use it as a reference point after I've decided where I want the tree to go. Then 90 degrees off of that is my face cut. Remember, I'm not using a Stihl or a Husqvarna that actually has gun sights. Once the face is done, I'll stick the square into the notch to make sure the notch is pointing at my target. If it's off, I'll adjust the notch before making the back cut. And, generally it helps me keep the back cut straight for the hinge regardless the size of the tree, like these I did last year.

IMG_0845_zps317970ec.jpg

IMG_0536_zpsbd9be597.jpg

Your next video should be a tutorial on how to make those kick @$$ fire wood hut looking stacks. Your fire wood stacks are awesome, make mine look like poop. BTW the tree fell the right way+ you have it split already = win ;)

Thanks for the compliment on my wood stacks, but remember, beauty is in the eye of the beerholder, or is it the grass is greener on the other side. No matter how it's stacked, it will burn (once seasoned)

I do still have more bucking to do with that tree and then more to split. I only had one round roll down the hill so far. Funny thing, it ended up over by those piles you like! :msp_biggrin:

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment on my wood stacks, but remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or is it the grass is greener on the other side. No matter how it's stacked, it will burn (once seasoned)

I do still have more bucking to do with that tree and then more to split. I only had one round roll down the hill so far. Funny thing, it ended up over by those piles you like! :msp_biggrin:

You meant to say "Beauty is in the eye of the BEERholder ;)

Oh and please don't get these guys started on the "Seasoned" wood rant. There are a few fellas on here that don't believe in seasoning wood.

Hey Storm, I ran 3 tanks of gas through my 5020 today. Ran like a watch the whole time. No, I'm not going to paint my saw pink. :msp_tongue:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back